Hands-on with the Canon EOS R7

Scarris

CR Pro
Sep 15, 2020
Has anyone else noticed that the R7s used the early reviews are already looking kind of beat up? This one and the one DPReview have both have very noticeable scratches through the Canon logo. I'm wondering if the plastic shell is particularly soft on this camera. Obviously, it doesn't impact the quality of the photos, but I do try to keep my gear in good shape cosmetically, and it seems like the R7 may be prone to scratches.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I have an R6. It's a great camera, and I love the crisp images from it. However, as been written over and over again here, the dynamic range/low light performance of the modern low Mpx sensors is no better than the high Mpx sensors at the same size output - if you downsize the high Mpx image to the same number of pixels as the low Mpx image, you see the same dynamic range and noise. Here is a shot of the dynamic range of the R6 and 90D. The 90D at first sight looks much lower, but that's because it's comparing crop enlarged to the same size as the FF. If you compare the R6 in crop mode with then 90D you can see straight away they have the same DR.

View attachment 203919
Well most reviewers are saying that above iso 800 the R7 images start to look awful, what about your R6 Alan : what iso are you happy to go up to ?

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Has anyone else noticed that the R7s used the early reviews are already looking kind of beat up? This one and the one DPReview have both have very noticeable scratches through the Canon logo. I'm wondering if the plastic shell is particularly soft on this camera. Obviously, it doesn't impact the quality of the photos, but I do try to keep my gear in good shape cosmetically, and it seems like the R7 may be prone to scratches.
Well it's very much a consumer grade camera in spite of the amazing specs and reviewers don't give a shit about gear that doesn't belong to them , some like Chelsia Northrup aren't even careful with gear they own :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I did notice that in some of the videos I watched. My guess was that it was done intentionally at least in part to disguise an unreleased camera. I saw some also covered in black tape. But I also think when a camera is passed around between a lot of different photographers with lots of different ways of handling it in a short period of time, it's going to take a bit more abuse than it would under normal use.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well most reviewers are saying that above iso 800 the R7 images start to look awful, what about your R6 Alan : what iso are you happy to go up to ?
I usually start at 1000 and go up to several thousand on both the R5 and R6, depending on how much I crop as I like high shutter speeds. But, I cannot emphasise strongly enough you must have the right software for noise reduction. Here are some ridiculously high examples https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/extenders-and-high-iso-with-the-r5.40575/
At high iso, my experience with the 90D was that it didn’t resolve better than a 20 Mpx APS-C or 50 Mpx FF. The R6 with your 400/2.8 and a 2xTC should give excellent images and plenty of reach. The R6 might be the one for you - I really like the images from it.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I usually start at 1000 and go up to several thousand on both the R5 and R6, depending on how much I crop as I like high shutter speeds. But, I cannot emphasise strongly enough you must have the right software for noise reduction. Here are some ridiculously high examples https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/extenders-and-high-iso-with-the-r5.40575/
At high iso, my experience with the 90D was that it didn’t resolve better than a 20 Mpx APS-C or 50 Mpx FF. The R6 with your 400/2.8 and a 2xTC should give excellent images and plenty of reach. The R6 might be the one for you - I really like the images from it.
Thanks Alan

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Do you use a Canon GPS receiver or third party? Is there one you recommend?
I use Garmin eTrex 30x to track and then using Lightroom I use synchronize gpx files, you can get any Garmin handheld GPS(most of them are IPX rated) that fits your budget. It's a little clumsy compared to having Canon receiver or using Canon connect app(connected via bluetooth(only for recent models) which doesnt suck battery as much as wifi or GPS) but biggest advantage is no additional strain on battery(both camera and phone) and you can use it backtrack if you get lost in remote areas.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I am probably missing something because I am new to digital photography. But, I don't honestly get the appeal of these crop cameras, other than price.
Price is the key, but they tend to be faster and lighter than the equivalent FF, and the smaller pixel pitch gives more resolution / output size than cropping most FF cameras in to the same format size.
However I’m sure there are many hobbyist photographers who can’t see the point of FF, especially as crop is now so good.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am probably missing something because I am new to digital photography. But, I don't honestly get the appeal of these crop cameras, other than price.
Lower system cost (body and lenses) is a main advantage, along with lower weight (mainly lenses). Smaller size is possible, depending on the system. Here's an extreme example:

X vs M.jpg

For those who are ‘reach limited’, crop sensors generally put more pixels on target. That’s still mainly about cost and weight, until you get to the extreme of something like a 1200mm f/8 on FF.

Macro shooting of skittish subjects like insects is another use case, because of the longer working distance for the same framing.

Upvote 0
You are peaking my curiosity. Is it practical/possible/advisable to use RF full frame lenses? Or does that defeat the whole idea?
It's is both practical and possible to use FF lenses on crop bodies. In fact, originally we only had FF lenses to put on the APS-C crop bodies. My 10D did not take EF-S lenses at all.

The downside of using FF lenses on crop cameras is that you pay for part of the optics that you do not use. And unused glass is wasted glass, to paraphrase Linus Torvalds.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You are peaking my curiosity. Is it practical/possible/advisable to use RF full frame lenses? Or does that defeat the whole idea?
Certainly you can use RF (FF) lenses on an R7 or R10, just as you could use EF (FF) lenses on any Canon APS-C DSLR. You only capture the smaller crop area, meaning the equivalent focal length is 1.6x.

Focal length is intrinsic to the lens, so for example the RF-S 18-45mm on an R7 or R10 gives framing equivalent to 29-72mm on FF. A 24-70 is a good walk around lens on FF, but on an R7/10 it would frame like 38-112mm, which isn’t wide enough for a standard zoom for me.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Considering APS-C cameras for the past 10 years have been able to shoot above ISO 800 without images looking awful, I would have to believe the reviewer who wrote or said that is totally incompetent or a Sony troll!

Here were the reviews I could find that mentioned image quality at various ISO's...

Camera Jabber: As yet, it’s not possible to process raw files from the R7 so I’m only able to look at the Jpegs. The results at ISO 25,600 look good and I might even use to ISO 32,000 if the circumstances really called for it, but if possible I’d make 12,800 the maximum value I’d used at this strikes a nice balance between the level of detail and noise that’s visible.

Imaging Resource: While we won't know the full story on the R7's image quality until it goes through our lab, the initial impressions are quite positive. The camera performs well at higher ISOs, including up to ISO 6400, which is as high as I got during daytime shooting.

The Phoblographer: I almost never shot below ISO 800. ISO 3200 is incredibly clean. But we’re going to need to do more work with the RAW files to see more results.

Just a tad bit above ISO 800 I would say!

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Well Fuji have released something much more like a proper mirrorless replacement for the 7D mark ii now : the Fujifilm X-H2s which has:
  • a 26mp BSI stacked crop sensor
  • 15 fps mechanical shutter
  • 40 fps electronic shutter
  • 1x CFexpress slot + 1x SDii slot
  • an awesome battery grip which allows you to keep a battery in the camera plus 2 in the grip
Priced at USD $ 2,500

Of course the AF isn't as good as Canon's DPAF ii and Fuji cameras aren't my "cup of tea"

The R7 is a great camera but personally would have liked a proper flagship aps-c camera with all of the above in an R6 body even if it was $3,000 USD

Upvote 0