The Canon EOS R1 may not come until the 2nd half of 2023 [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
The hit rate is so high already, I'm not sure what 'better' would look like in this case in order to make a noticeable improvement. I suppose the R3 is faster at tracking and acquisition on account of the stacked sensor. QPAF looms, at least in the rumor-verse, which could improve acquisition in some scenarios.

What are you thinking for improvements?
Better would be quad pixel. There are some situations where current Canon MILCs simply cannot lock focus because they are insensitive to horizontally oriented contrast features.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
I own an A7RIV any weakness that a lens has just gets amplified on 61mp. An older lens can certainly be used on a higher megapixel body but you won’t get the most out of the sensor in terms of fine detail.
That is indeed true. I should have stated my assumption that the R1 is probably going to have a similar or even lower mp than the R5. In that case, a better sensor with a stronger MTF coupled with the same lens should technically perform better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Well, that actually gives me a bit more time to save money towards it.
I put a few hundred back each month in savings just for BIG toys....and camera gear is mostly what I get of late.

I've depleted my toy savings pretty badly here recently, on various lenses and, believe it or not, on FILM cameras....just got a mint condition Noblex 175U medium format swing lens camera....and just missed a Fuji G617 on eBay by $25....yes, I'm a fan of 6x17 pano cameras.

Anyway, for things that need speed to shoot, I still have the 5D3...I can still shoot concerts with that....and I can start my savings again. I likely would be VERY happy with the R5, but I'll start putting back cash and likely as not be ready to get a new Canon and dive into the RF world about the time (hopefully) serious announcements on the R1 start coming out and I can then decide which would suit me best.

I'm the type that does NOT like to run up credit cards. I tend to have cash in hand whenever I buy something....
I don't go around buying piddly crap here and there....I save and save, and then when I have what I need, I'll drop sizable coin on something really nice, with never a thought of buyers remorse.

The only "credit" thing I will do....is if offered 12-24 months interest free on things. But even with that, I have cash to buy it in hand, I"ll just put that into an interest drawing account while I pay the no interest payments monthly.

OH well, its morning and I'm rambling on my fiscal philosophies....sorry.

Anyway, anxiously tracking any R1 news that comes out!!
:)

cayenne

(ps. hope this suits the earlier poster joking about someone saying they were saving to sell a kidney for an R1, haha).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
When Canon started to "number" the R series, it seems that define the R7 right under the R6 leaves no room for "low end FF". Thus, I don't think there will be a "direct" R or RP replacements, the R10 and R100 does the "lower end" for R cameras while the R6 is the closest to the "R" replacement in a way. The RP, as "low end FF" has probably filled its place in the camera history.
I seriously doubt that Canon will choose not to offer a FF R camera costing less than the R6. The last time I checked R8 and R9 are still available.
If the price is between the R7 and R10, then it works out just fine. Or they could just go R50 and R60. Who cares what the numbers are? They can number the cameras any way they want. The number police will be upset, but camera buyers won't care.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I seriously doubt that Canon will choose not to offer a FF R camera costing less than the R6. The last time I checked R8 and R9 are still available.
If the price is between the R7 and R10, then it works out just fine. Or they could just go R50 and R60. Who cares what the numbers are? They can number the cameras any way they want. The number police will be upset, but camera buyers won't care.
Only the 'a' and 'P' are taken, so they have a bunch of the alphabet left as well :)

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Breaking news. R10 is secretly FF !
It doesn't need to be FF ;)
The 24MP APS-C sensor in the R10 will produce images at least as good as the ageing 26MP FF sensor of the RP.
.... and the R10 is a far better overall camera, with the latest AF tech.
Perfect for novices or those on a low budget.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon has stated, there will be no more R and RP variants. The numbered versions are what you get. Deal with it, it's a pretty good lineup for a new-ish system. In this economy it's never been a better time to embrace the mantra "shoot with what you have'
I don't recall that statement from Canon. Can you give us a source?

I'd agree that a direct replacement for the original R is unlikely. However, a replacement for the RP seems very likely, regardless of whether or not it is called an RP.

Upvote 0

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
Disappointed but expected.

I really want to switch to mirrorless but taking my time so when I make the switch, I can move all my main lens over too. I love all the features of the R3 but I want at least some reasonable resolution, at least 30mp would have enticed me enough but if I'm waiting for a R1, I hope it's even higher than that. Of course, mismatching dual card slots drive me up the wall. If I can't make an exact copy at full speed on both cards, it's not really dual card slots. That's like putting Firewire on the camera. :D

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I originally ordered the R3 at launch and received it in the first shipment. It’s a great camera. When the R1 comes I plan to preorder again. The R1 is going to be amazing. Things I want to see on the R1:

• Global shutter
• No mechanical shutter
• Built in NDs
• OpenGate mode
• Larger rear LCD
• Option for internal ProRes
• 14+ usable stops of dynamic range
• Reliable app support

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The "RP successor" already exists. It's called the R10.
R10 is a compact FF body?
If not, it isn't an "RP successor", and you should study camera specs more carefully.

R10 is not on my scope.
The RP continues to sell well, but I don't think a FF successor is on the cards.

The R10 is cheaper, better specified and has everything that a budget camera needs.
Somehow you contradict yourself.
If the R10 is so much better, why does the RP sell so well?
And if a small FF budget cam sells so well even with outdated specs, why shouldn't it be replaced sometime?

A compact FF (!) body with better sensor than the RP is the first thing to draw me into the R system.
If that market is not big enough for Canon, I'll understand. But they won't get my money. That's market economy.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
It doesn't need to be FF ;)
The 24MP APS-C sensor in the R10 will produce images at least as good as the ageing 26MP FF sensor of the RP.
Nope!
The ageing 21 MP FF sensor of my 5D2 (sold) was way better than the newer 24 MP APS-C sensor of my 200D.
So I know what I am talking about and why I want a FF sensor. (newer and an RP sized body)

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown

I'd agree that a direct replacement for the original R is unlikely. However, a replacement for the RP seems very likely, regardless of whether or not it is called an RP.
I read it here! It was an interview with a Canon C Suite dude. Caveat: direct replacement can be construed as many things, the interview stated there will be no more versions of those two bodies. How's that?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
R10 is a compact FF body?
If not, it isn't an "RP successor", and you should study camera specs more carefully.

R10 is not on my scope.

Somehow you contradict yourself.
If the R10 is so much better, why does the RP sell so well?
And if a small FF budget cam sells so well even with outdated specs, why shouldn't it be replaced sometime?

A compact FF (!) body with better sensor than the RP is the first thing to draw me into the R system.
If that market is not big enough for Canon, I'll understand. But they won't get my money. That's market economy.
Of course the RP will be replaced eventually. It just may not be called "RP." The cost differential between full frame and crop sensors is no longer what it once was. It makes just as much sense for Canon to produce low cost full frame bodies as it does to produce low cost crop sensor bodies. In fact, it may make more sense, since buyers of the full frame body will be able to use their lenses on more expensive models without having to crop.

I think Canon would like to get back to the old days when people could seamlessly trade up from the lowest cost SLR to the F1 without having to invest in new lenses to get the same field of view.

Honestly, I felt the R7 made sense since it is clearly aimed at people seeking more "reach." But I'm perplexed by the R10.

Upvote 0
LOL. Try to get a grip on reality. You can call the RP 'crap' until you're blue in the face. So can other forum-dwellers (though honestly, I don't see many complaints).

The feedback Canon's leadership is listening to is that last week the RP was the best-selling full frame camera in Japan and the 4th best-selling ILC overall in Japan (with Canon cameras also comprising the top 3).

View attachment 204380
When I see people post "the RP is crap" stuff, I have to wonder if they've ever actually used one. Personally, I find that it delivers a lot of bang for the buck, and it's a great, simple to use little camera. Could it be better? Sure, but I can say the same thing about pretty much every camera I've ever used, ever. Pair it with the RF/50 and the RF/16 and you have a relatively small and light kit that lets you shoot standard and wide, with a medium wide in 1.6x crop mode, and a nice portrait tight in 1.6x crop mode on the RF/50.

I can see an RPII (if they even do one) using a reworked 5D4 sensor (basically move the R sensor to the RP with maybe some tweaks/revisions) to keep costs down, and a move to more unified internal electronics (i.e. the same processors, etc as other mirrorless bodies to keep costs down) with differentiation being firmware features and body size and physical buttons.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Same here, I don't recall seeing a statement either. I can see no replacement R (current R users go to either the R5 or R6), but if the RP is selling good, I can see a revision where it gets the current R sensor to keep costs low.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Nope!
The ageing 21 MP FF sensor of my 5D2 (sold) was way better than the newer 24 MP APS-C sensor of my 200D.
So I know what I am talking about and why I want a FF sensor. (newer and an RP sized body)
Nope!

What you (and I) want is not what the average RP or R10 buyer wants. Unless persuaded otherwise by influencers or salespersons, they won't care whether the camera has a APS-C sensor or a FF sensor. What they are looking for is an up to date, well specified camera that will take good enough pictures to satisfy them, and an APS-C sensor is more than good enough for that. I actually know of a couple of pro wildlife (macro) photographers who have switched from FF cameras to an even smaller sensor, i.e. M43, and others who are seriously considering the same move.

FF is only really necessary for people who (like myself) often shoot in low light and/or want to exploit shallow depth of field. Few novices fit in that category.

There was no contradiction in my earlier comments - the RP is a nice camera and continues to sell well, but no model lasts forever. People crave for the latest gear, and for novices the R10 fits the bill extremely well and I predict that it will within a few months outsell the RP.

The R10 also makes an excellent and affordable lightweight backup or second body for more serious photographers, a better choice IMO than an RP. I'll bet that for typical usage most owners would be unable to tell the difference between an RP image and a R10 image. Critical users will in any case have the sense to use a modern denoise program to overcome any minor increase in noise resulting from a smaller sensor.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Nope!

What you (and I) want is not what the average RP or R10 buyer wants. Unless persuaded otherwise by influencers or salespersons, they won't care whether the camera has a APS-C sensor or a FF sensor. What they are looking for is an up to date, well specified camera that will take good enough pictures to satisfy them, and an APS-C sensor is more than good enough for that. I actually know of a couple of pro wildlife (macro) photographers who have switched from FF cameras to an even smaller sensor, i.e. M43, and others who are seriously considering the same move.

FF is only really necessary for people who (like myself) often shoot in low light and/or want to exploit shallow depth of field. Few novices fit in that category.

There was no contradiction in my earlier comments - the RP is a nice camera and continues to sell well, but no model lasts forever. People crave for the latest gear, and for novices the R10 fits the bill extremely well and I predict that it will within a few months outsell the RP.

The R10 also makes an excellent and affordable lightweight backup or second body for more serious photographers, a better choice IMO than an RP. I'll bet that for typical usage most owners would be unable to tell the difference between an RP image and a R10 image. Critical users will in any case have the sense to use a modern denoise program to overcome any minor increase in noise resulting from a smaller sensor.
That's your opinion - not mine.

I don't want an R5 or R3 in an RP body for an RP price. I am realistic.
The problem for me with the RP was/is that the sensor was outdated at the RP release, and the EVF was/is much too slow.
I was fine with the rest for its price.
The time since its release didn't make it better. And I don't want an APS-C backup camera any more.
So if they bring a real successor - fine. If not, I'll spend my money on something else (not Canon)

Upvote 0