Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.6.0 now available

This is easy, most of the Canon R5s that were purchased early on, and possibly count for a majority of the ones in the wild are now past their manufacturer warranty. If the camera torches itself at this point, they won't be responsible for fixing many of them free of charge. Now they can try and get a 2nd surge of income from charging to fix peoples cameras.
In places like Australia Canon offers 5 year warranty, so your theory is a bit silly

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
I'll start by saying that I don't do video clips more than 30-60 seconds very often with my R5. But based solely on principle, it infuriates me that they left the 30-minute time limit after this firmware update. It's one thing to have a company stance so that you don't cannibalize your cinema cameras, but they have crossed that barrier with the R7. So my R5 which is higher end and over twice the cost has to have this artificial limitation but a lower end does not?!?! Anti-consumer software limitations make me want to kick people in bad places. *Deep breath in........and out*. Okay I'm better now.
Removing the 30-minute limit would mean it'd be classified as a video camera in EU, which would imply import duties that do not apply to still cameras. Besides resulting in higher prices due to the duties directly, it would mean re-certification process, which takes time and money. It might also result in legal problems as Canon could be accused of circumventing the duties - in the worst case they'd be made to pay them retroactively for all cameras imported to the EU, or a comparable fine.

The R7 is a new camera, presumably they have decided the extra duty is worth paying or maybe it's gone down recently. In any case doing away with the limit to begin with is much easier and cheaper than removing it afterwards.

Of course the different duty regime for video cameras makes really no sense, but that's EU legislators' fault, not Canon's.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Removing the 30-minute limit would mean it'd be classified as a video camera in EU, which would imply import duties that do not apply to still cameras. Besides resulting in higher prices due to the duties directly, it would mean re-certification process, which takes time and money. It might also result in legal problems as Canon could be accused of circumventing the duties - in the worst case they'd be made to pay them retroactively for all cameras imported to the EU, or a comparable fine.

The R7 is a new camera, presumably they have decided the extra duty is worth paying or maybe it's gone down recently. In any case doing away with the limit to begin with is much easier and cheaper than removing it afterwards.

Of course the different duty regime for video cameras makes really no sense, but that's EU legislators' fault, not Canon's.
The EU got rid of that regulation a couple of years ago. It's not a thing anymore.

However, you might be correct that removing the 30 Minute limit might still mean a re-certification which will surely cause delays, issues and cost money for Canon. You have to wonder why Canon did include the limit in the first place, because the regulation you mention has been changed way back.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

This has come up in many discussions, the 30 minute rule went out some years ago. The UK follows EU in these matters. A camera that does both video and stills is a composite machine. In such cases, it is classified by the main use of the camera:

‘Unless the context otherwise requires, composite machines consisting of two or more machines fitted together to form a whole and other machines designed for the purpose of performing two or more complementary or alternative functions are to be classified as if consisting only of that component or as being that machine which performs the principal function.’

The R5, R7 etc are principally still cameras and so are classified as still cameras. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that the R5 would have to be reclassified.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

USMarineCorpsVet

Bird/Wildlife Photography
Jul 2, 2021
How about a simple fix that ensures the camera always records on the same card until you change it. As of now if you remove the CFExpress card, it switches automatically to the SD card. But then when you reinsert the Cfexpress card, it still shoots to the SD. You have to remember to go into the menu and change it back. What a pain in the ass! Easy fix for Canon.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How about a simple fix that ensures the camera always records on the same card until you change it. As of now if you remove the CFExpress card, it switches automatically to the SD card. But then when you reinsert the Cfexpress card, it still shoots to the SD. You have to remember to go into the menu and change it back. What a pain in the ass! Easy fix for Canon.
There is nothing to fix. That behavior is by logical design, and it’s been that way as long as Canon has made dual-slot bodies.

It only switches when you close the card door, obviously so it’s ready to capture images. If there’s only one card in the camera it defaults to that slot until you change it or until the only available card is in the other slot. If it’s writing to one card and you insert a second card and it automatically switches, some of your images will be on each partially-full card, which isn’t logical.

The easy solution is to have a second CFe card – pull out the one with fresh images, immediately insert the other one then close the door, and it will keep writing to the CFe slot as primary.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Are these known not to have been addressed? The upgrade claims various small things were fixed.
I'm on firmware 1.5.2 and I can assure you that the freezes have NOT been fixed.

Last week I took 2500 images on my R5, and didn't have any glitches, apart from one occasion when the IBIS kept repeatedly "clicking" as if it had reached the limit of its travel and was trying to "unlock" itself. Almost all images that week were taken with SERVO AF, and standard or "micro-spot" AF area, in single shot drive.

Today I took about 300 images and had the camera freeze 3 times. The only way to get it operational again each time was to drop and reinsert the battery. All images today were taken with SERVO AF, animal eye-AF and full area tracking, shooting a series of short 1 second bursts in hi-speed burst mode. Some with electronic shutter, some with mechanical shutter. Freezes occurred with both shutter modes. Each time the camera froze, the red "writing to card" stayed on - I waited about 2-3 minutes hoping it would go out, and then got fed up so dropped the battery, knowing that the currently writing frame would be lost.

My experience is that using the above settings is pretty much guaranteed to result in lockups. My impression is that these settings overload the buffer and cause freezes. I shoot C-RAW and use fast CF-Express cards (SanDisk and Delkin).

Last edited:
  • Sad
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Many of us would prefer that Canon release these updates after extensive testing guaranteeing that the sensor or logic board won't get cooked. It would be detrimental if they had released these features earlier and caused the R5's to be less reliable.
Haha, "extensive testing" is a joke in Canonland - a very large number of people complain here and elsewhere that their R5 bodies lockup, and despite several firmware updates the problem still has not been fixed. That to me indicates a problem with inadequately tested hardware...

Upvote 0
I'm on firmware 1.5.2 and I can assure you that the freezes have NOT been fixed.

Last week I took 2500 images on my R5, and didn't have any glitches, apart from one occasion when the IBIS kept repeatedly "clicking" as if it had reached the limit of its travel and was trying to "unlock" itself. Almost all images that week were taken with SERVO AF, and standard or "micro-spot" AF area, in single shot drive.

Today I took about 300 images and had the camera freeze 3 times. The only way to get it operational again each time was to drop and reinsert the battery. All images today were taken with SERVO AF, animal eye-AF and full area tracking, shooting a series of short 1 second bursts in hi-speed burst mode. Some with electronic shutter, some with mechanical shutter. Freezes occurred with both shutter modes. Each time the camera froze, the red "writing to card" stayed on - I waited about 2-3 minutes hoping it would go out, and then got fed up so dropped the battery, knowing that the currently writing frame would be lost.

My experience is that using the above settings is pretty much guaranteed to result in lockups. My impression is that these settings overload the buffer and cause freezes. I shoot C-RAW and use fast CF-Express cards (SanDisk and Delkin).
Do you have lens optimization or highlight protection (I think it’s called d-max or D1/2 something like that) turned on? You don’t need those if you shoot RAW and it’s been to slow buffering with those features on.
Also why do you drop your batteries and from what height? maybe you could try dropping the camera, that might knock something back in place.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Haha, "extensive testing" is a joke in Canonland - a very large number of people complain here and elsewhere that their R5 bodies lockup, and despite several firmware updates the problem still has not been fixed. That to me indicates a problem with inadequately tested hardware...
I still don't think you can base that off of reported lockups here. Like how many R5 bodies are out there currently? And how many have reported lockups? I bet the actual percentage is lower than you'd think, or like.

Upvote 0

This has been fixed by a firmware update several months ago. You can now set a „priority card“ in the menu of the R5. That way it will only write to the SD if you forget to re-insert the CFe

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
If you want that effect to go away, then shoot in crop mode (the 4k is very good). The problem is caused by the fact that the lens has distortion near the edges so when the IBIS moves the sensor, the distortion changes and the distortion correction is just not smart enough to compensate. The other alternative if you want the full wide angle of view is to turn off IS altogether and shoot with a gimbal. Note that just turning off IBIS (if you could) would potentially reduce the problem, but not eliminate it and it would also reduce the amount of stabilization available. Bottom line, what works great for stills doesn't always work well for video and that is why Cine lenses are so much more expensive than still lenses in spite of the fact that they are often less sharp.
The other benefit to crop mode is you won't get shut down for overheating at all, the only limit is the 30 minute one. And I agree the footage is really good. 4KHQ is still a bit sharper but with a tiny bit of software sharpening it'll be hard to tell the difference.

Where it'll make a difference is in both your framing and your DOF if you're using a really fast lens opened up. For example at 24mm, my arms are not long enough to vlog in crop mode.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Do you have lens optimization or highlight protection (I think it’s called d-max or D1/2 something like that) turned on? You don’t need those if you shoot RAW and it’s been to slow buffering with those features on.
No, I don't have lens optimisation or any other JPEG-relevant settings applied, because I only shoot RAW. There's no point in applying JPEG settings unless you shoot JPEG.
Also why do you drop your batteries and from what height? maybe you could try dropping the camera, that might knock something back in place.
Er, haha, "dropping" batteries is simply how most of us refer to the procedure of opening the battery door, allowing the battery to drop a centimetre or two, and then pushing it back in. It would be pretty idiotic for anyone the deliberately drop or knock a camera (I assume you were being sarcastic). My R5 has never been dropped or knocked, so it's extremely unlikely that there are any loose connections.

I still don't think you can base that off of reported lockups here. Like how many R5 bodies are out there currently? And how many have reported lockups? I bet the actual percentage is lower than you'd think.
There are clearly enough complaints about the "freezing" issues to indicate that there is some kind of malfunction affecting certain batches of the R5. I don't believe the issue is caused by firmware (if it was, it should have been fixed long ago), and I've been shooting as pro (and now amateur, having retired) for several decades, and have used multiple camera systems, so "user error" is extremely unlikely.

IMO, the issue is probably caused by a batch of faulty components. Clearly there are plenty of people who *don't* have these issues. That indicates to me that only certain batches of the R5 are affected.

There is also the (unlikely) possibility that what Canon likes to call a "rare phenomenon" happens when a certain combination of settings is applied. However, I've already reset my camera to default settings a few times to test that theory, and the freezes still occur with Canon's default settings (when I'm shooting SERVO AF, animal-eye AF and one-second hi-speed bursts).

You might note that it's quite common for Canon and other manufacturers to downplay any issues affecting their cameras, and try to correct them via firmware updates. To date, none of the updates have eliminated the freezes.

Upvote 0
I'll start by saying that I don't do video clips more than 30-60 seconds very often with my R5. But based solely on principle, it infuriates me that they left the 30-minute time limit after this firmware update. It's one thing to have a company stance so that you don't cannibalize your cinema cameras, but they have crossed that barrier with the R7. So my R5 which is higher end and over twice the cost has to have this artificial limitation but a lower end does not?!?! Anti-consumer software limitations make me want to kick people in bad places. *Deep breath in........and out*. Okay I'm better now.
Do we compare same things here? What if crop vs FF sensor means a different heat production characteristics?

Upvote 0