Looking to buy, sell or trade used gear? Check out our new partner MPB

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I've sold a few items person to person, and yes I do generally get more for it that way. But I prefer to sell to a reputable secondhand dealer even if I get a lower price. It gives me peace of mind, because I know that the next owner will have a repair guarantee from the dealer, if the gear develops a fault, and that's something I can't provide personally.
I've had like a 17 lens EF system through 5 generations of bodies, 3-lens Contax G2, 3-lens Mamiya 7, SL66, and a nice Leica M6 outfit, since the mid-90s. I haven't EVER been able to use a warranty on any of it. The only malfunctions I've had are due to dropping Leicas, which isn't covered. Nothing else has ever broken.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I've used MPB for buying and selling. They are fairly straightforward. The assessment on the grade (Excellent, good, well used etc) is fair. They do seem to examine items closely. You just have to know that they do have a fairly good margin on whay they sell your item for. But they do have to cover the return post on the many items that get sent back when a seller changes their mind or doesn't agree with the valuation. Correspondence and communication is good.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Link is from GB, so I assume you think in pounds?

I got my R5 for 385,000 yen, mint used, inc. tax and shipping, with 1 week return. That's GBP2352. Your site is asking GBP3050.

That's not just 30% more, because the price of gear isn't the purchase price, it's the purchase price minus the sale price.

Assuming the camera is sold in X years for JPY269,500 which is GBP1645, your shop ends up costing TWICE as much to own.

I'd either have to double what I spend on my hobby, or have half the camera and half the lenses. Neither option sounds enticing.
Consider that your cheaper purchase was a secondhand body, and that it certainly won't have come with the 3 year UK/EU/US warranty and 14 day return that Panamoz provide. They are a very highly regarded company - just look at the hundreds of positive reviews on TrustPilot.

Of course, there will always be cases where it's cheaper to buy a specific camera or lens from another company, but I've generally found them among the cheapest, and they offer the best warranty. When I bought my R5 from them a year ago, they were by far the cheapest option. Also you need to consider that all taxes and duties are prepaid by Panamoz, so unlike many other sellers, there are no hidden extras.

I've got no link to Panamoz, and I'd encourage you and everyone else to shop around, check all the sellers, and be sure to check their warranties and whether you'l have to pay taxes (which will obviously vary from one country to another).

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I've had like a 17 lens EF system through 5 generations of bodies, 3-lens Contax G2, 3-lens Mamiya 7, SL66, and a nice Leica M6 outfit, since the mid-90s. I haven't EVER been able to use a warranty on any of it. The only malfunctions I've had are due to dropping Leicas, which isn't covered. Nothing else has ever broken.
Occasionally people will buy a dud (dead-on-arrival) camera, in which case most countries have legislation to ensure that you can get the item replaced if you return it undamaged and with original packing within a 7, 14 or 28 day period. So it makes sense to buy from the cheapest and most reliable seller you can find. In my experience, when shipping to the UK, that is usually Panamoz, but prices will of course vary from country to country, depending on local tax laws etc.

You can buy from whoever you choose, I'm just passing on my own positive experiences with Panamoz, in the hope that it saves people some money.

It's very rare for any camera to develop a fault in its active lifetime, but reassuring to have the protection of a 3 year warranty. On the rare occasions when a camera does develop a fault, it is usually the result of accidental damage caused to dropping, or from ingress of water, moisture or dust.

Upvote 0
Consider that your cheaper purchase was a secondhand body, and that it certainly won't have come with the 3 year UK/EU/US warranty and 14 day return that Panamoz provide. They are a very highly regarded company - just look at the hundreds of positive reviews on TrustPilot.

Of course, there will always be cases where it's cheaper to buy a specific camera or lens from another company, but I've generally found them among the cheapest, and they offer the best warranty. When I bought my R5 from them a year ago, they were by far the cheapest option. Also you need to consider that all taxes and duties are prepaid by Panamoz, so unlike many other sellers, there are no hidden extras.

I've got no link to Panamoz, and I'd encourage you and everyone else to shop around, check all the sellers, and be sure to check their warranties and whether you'l have to pay taxes (which will obviously vary from one country to another).
Just checked out that website and the prices are wildly variable! Some bargains, some things more expensive than elsewhere. They do have the best price I've seen for the 100-500 though.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
Consider that your cheaper purchase was a secondhand body, and that it certainly won't have come with the 3 year UK/EU/US warranty and 14 day return that Panamoz provide.
OK, sure, used, but with <1000 shutters on it. I've had probably up to 5 cameras and 25 lenses at once, over the last quarter century, and worked professionally for 3-4 years in there near the beginning.

I have NEVER had an opportunity to use a warranty in all that time. really, 1000 product-years or something. I think a warranty is worth zero.

On this camera I had a warranty period. I've had a disreputable seller only once and the auction site backed me up completely. (I've also had 3-4 bad buyers but never lost a cent to them, ultimately.) I do have to be careful to make sure what words they're promising for the goods, video the package opening and so on but again, this practice cuts my expenditure in half over the life of the goods.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
Just checked out that website and the prices are wildly variable! Some bargains, some things more expensive than elsewhere. They do have the best price I've seen for the 100-500 though.
I bought new for 360,050 yen, BUT that also resulted in store points worth 10% of the lens price, so in effect I paid 332,145yen, which is 2032 quid. So, about 20% less than Panamoz.

1663692665751.png

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Occasionally people will buy a dud (dead-on-arrival) camera, in which case most countries have legislation to ensure that you can get the item replaced if you return it undamaged and with original packing within a 7, 14 or 28 day period. So it makes sense to buy from the cheapest and most reliable seller you can find. In my experience, when shipping to the UK, that is usually Panamoz, but prices will of course vary from country to country, depending on local tax laws etc.

You can buy from whoever you choose, I'm just passing on my own positive experiences with Panamoz, in the hope that it saves people some money.

It's very rare for any camera to develop a fault in its active lifetime, but reassuring to have the protection of a 3 year warranty. On the rare occasions when a camera does develop a fault, it is usually the result of accidental damage caused to dropping, or from ingress of water, moisture or dust.
In addition, for lenses there is the problem of quality because of copy variation. I thoroughly test each lens I buy new or used, and sometimes the centering or optical quality is unacceptable. If I buy new on-line or used from MPB or WEX, I know I can send them back, and occasionally I have done.

Upvote 0
You bought internationally? I wouldn't risk it in the UK now, except maybe these ones whcih guarantee the fees.
I bought new for 360,050 yen, BUT that also resulted in store points worth 10% of the lens price, so in effect I paid 332,145yen, which is 2032 quid. So, about 20% less than Panamoz.

View attachment 205710

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
OK, sure, used, but with <1000 shutters on it. I've had probably up to 5 cameras and 25 lenses at once, over the last quarter century, and worked professionally for 3-4 years in there near the beginning.

I have NEVER had an opportunity to use a warranty in all that time. really, 1000 product-years or something. I think a warranty is worth zero.

On this camera I had a warranty period. I've had a disreputable seller only once and the auction site backed me up completely. (I've also had 3-4 bad buyers but never lost a cent to them, ultimately.) I do have to be careful to make sure what words they're promising for the goods, video the package opening and so on but again, this practice cuts my expenditure in half over the life of the goods.
You're more of a risk taker than me. No way would I buy a secondhand camera with such a low number of shutter actuations - the first question on my mind would be "why did this dude get rid of it so quickly?"

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
In addition, for lenses there is the problem of quality because of copy variation. I thoroughly test each lens I buy new or used, and sometimes the centering or optical quality is unacceptable. If I buy new on-line or used from MPB or WEX, I know I can send them back, and occasionally I have done.
Copy variation can occur with bodies too, as illustrated by the R5 situation in which a percentage of users have experienced freezes/lock-ups, while others have been fortunate to have escaped them. To further illustrate, several Nikon Z9 owners have reported that the mechanical "protective" shutter has jammed closed. It certainly pays to thoroughly test bodies during the statutory no-questions-asked "cooling down period", and to send the camera back if there are any concerns.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018

View attachment 205710

20% less, but for a secondhand camera. Your choice. Not mine.
I think you're confused?
Please go read the post you're responding to very carefully, looking for the words "new" and "lens." Look at the graphic I posted, which pretty clearly shows a lens. I think you might want to delete your snide retort.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
No way would I buy a secondhand camera with such a low number of shutter actuations
Entoman, you cannot even understand the simplest of posts, such as the one earlier where I was discussing a new lens and you chided me for buying a used camera. It was only two sentences, and had a photo of a lens. But this still was too complicated for you. So yes, you're not the kind of careful person who should be in the used market.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
How does this MPB place compare to KEH?

Do they sell for about the same price?
Do they pay about the same price for your used gear you want to sell?

I've noticed over the past year or so, that KEH just doesn't seem to have crap available on their site. I'm shopping them mostly for older MF film gear, I got my Hasselblad 501CM from them, good price, and in great condition.
But lately, I can't seem to find much of anything there...or even their eBay bids.

I think I searched MPB place once awhile back and they didn't seem to have much there either at the time?

There really aren't any local shops here in the New Orleans area I know of that sell used gear, heck I dunno of anywhere close to me that sells used gear.
I've heard of camera fairs where they are like a gun show, but with cameras for sale by private citizens and dealers, but I don't guess there are any near me for that.

And with crime the way it is, I don't deal with craigslist ....people get beaten, robbed and killed meeting up with people on that...just not worth the risk IMHO.

So, at the point, I'm having to take my chances on eBay...fortunately I've been lucky with some old WW2 era cameras and soviet lenses/cameras....had to return one and was nice to know the eBay return policy actually works.

Oh well...if I had more avenues to buy...I'd BUY and I really need to stop spending camera money like a drunken sailor on port call.

cayenne

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
How does this MPB place compare to KEH?

Do they sell for about the same price?
Do they pay about the same price for your used gear you want to sell?

I've noticed over the past year or so, that KEH just doesn't seem to have crap available on their site. I'm shopping them mostly for older MF film gear, I got my Hasselblad 501CM from them, good price, and in great condition.
But lately, I can't seem to find much of anything there...or even their eBay bids.

I think I searched MPB place once awhile back and they didn't seem to have much there either at the time?

There really aren't any local shops here in the New Orleans area I know of that sell used gear, heck I dunno of anywhere close to me that sells used gear.
I've heard of camera fairs where they are like a gun show, but with cameras for sale by private citizens and dealers, but I don't guess there are any near me for that.

And with crime the way it is, I don't deal with craigslist ....people get beaten, robbed and killed meeting up with people on that...just not worth the risk IMHO.

So, at the point, I'm having to take my chances on eBay...fortunately I've been lucky with some old WW2 era cameras and soviet lenses/cameras....had to return one and was nice to know the eBay return policy actually works.

Oh well...if I had more avenues to buy...I'd BUY and I really need to stop spending camera money like a drunken sailor on port call.

cayenne
I don't know how prices compare, but (in the UK) MPB prices are often more expensive than buying new from grey exporters.

When I sell them something, they generally offer me about 10% less than I'd get selling on eBay auctions, but they arrange and pay for a courier to pick up my gear, and the whole process is hassle-free.

When I buy something from them (usually an item that is discontinued or not available from grey exporters), the descriptions are very accurate, the items are well packed, and are sent by tracked and insured post.

For new products, I almost invariably use Panamoz, for secondhand MPB is my first choice.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Entoman, you cannot even understand the simplest of posts, such as the one earlier where I was discussing a new lens and you chided me for buying a used camera. It was only two sentences, and had a photo of a lens. But this still was too complicated for you. So yes, you're not the kind of careful person who should be in the used market.
If you are incapable of understanding that I'm just trying to help people by sharing my experiences, then there is no point in continuing a discussion with you.
You now have the unique privilege of being the only person on my ignore list. Congratulations.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know how prices compare, but (in the UK) MPB prices are often more expensive than buying new from grey exporters.

When I sell them something, they generally offer me about 10% less than I'd get selling on eBay auctions, but they arrange and pay for a courier to pick up my gear, and the whole process is hassle-free.

When I buy something from them (usually an item that is discontinued or not available from grey exporters), the descriptions are very accurate, the items are well packed, and are sent by tracked and insured post.

For new products, I almost invariably use Panamoz, for secondhand MPB is my first choice.
I've seen you post about this "grey" market camera/lens thing a lot....it's something I'm not familiar with...
I'm guessing it is not really available in the US?

Something about no warranty work, etc...?

Anyway, not something I know anything about obviously...do you have links to read up on what this is and if it is available in the US?

I'm guessing it is only for new(er) items...a lot of the stuff I'm looking for on eBay, KEH, etc....are older manual lenses and medium format film cameras. I do like to adapt vintage lenses onto modern mirrorless cameras too.

C

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I've seen you post about this "grey" market camera/lens thing a lot....it's something I'm not familiar with...
I'm guessing it is not really available in the US?
Gray market products are new, OEM items imported through unofficial channels and sold by non-authorized dealers. There are gray market sellers in the US. It's not just a photo gear thing, musical instruments, etc., are sold gray market. In general, it means the item does not have warranty coverage. Having said that, Canon USA has typically performed warranty repairs on such items, provided you have proof of purchase from the seller (to show you're within the warranty period).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0