Canon will release a trio of RF mount wide angle L prime lenses in the first half of 2023

The fact we still do not have 50 1.4 is nothing short of shockingly bad management.
Canon knows how many EF50/1.4 they sold but it was a pretty poor lens in general for both IQ and quality control. Getting a "good" copy was tricky.
It would make sense for one given the massive cost differential between the current RF50mm options.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Canon knows how many EF50/1.4 they sold but it was a pretty poor lens in general for both IQ and quality control. Getting a "good" copy was tricky.
It would make sense for one given the massive cost differential between the current RF50mm options.

If 3rd party AF lens support was permitted, I think we'd have 2 or 3 of these available already.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
As a nightscape enthusiast, really want something in the 14 to 20 range with a wide open aperture in the f/1.2 to f/2.0 range, with really low coma distortion in the corners. Hard to believe a company that has supported multiple astro modified camera bodies has not followed through on a lens like that for the RF mount.
The EF14mm was not a good astrolandscape lens and expensive. I am not sure what the use case for it would have been.
Are many users shooting wide angle for Ha band? I can understand the deep space use case but for wide angle is more rare. When I see wide angle shots with Ha I find the final images to be a bit unrealistic - which they are compared to the human eye spectrum.

Upvote 0

Quentin

CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Still waiting for the long-time rumored RF 10-24 f/4L to replace my last original EF Canon glass

And as for Astro: Canon wasn't good at coma so far and not only from a price point competitors like Rokinon/Samyang or Sigma were more attractive in the field. Samyang has a 14mm RF on the market, but I want to replace a Samyang XP lens, don't want an autofocus one but rather the higher quality of the XP series on the RF mount. Let's see what Samyang will do with RF in future, it got silent...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Or lack of demand.
That’s a good point. When I was a lot younger, the 50 came in every body. That’s was it, either buy a body, kr buy one with a 50. Everything we learned said that 50 was the natural perspective (not really true). These days people either but bodies, or buy them with some zoom. I see fewer 50mm lenses over time. A few years ago, making very expensive 50s was a thing. I’m not so sure most people cared. Look at smartphones. What’s the normal? 24 to 26mm equivalent. I think that regular camera users gave come to see that as more important than 50.

Upvote 0
A 28 f2 would be great. 1.4 will make a lot of people happy but Canon really should do line like the Nikon G 1.8 and fill it with 20/24/28/35/50/85.
It would not be that hard to have a team sit down and do those designs back to back. Since canon refuses to allow Sigma to make RF lenses, I am sure they would sell a bucket load of these primes.

The fact we still do not have 50 1.4 is nothing short of shockingly bad management.

but it almost exist now, I have 16mm f2.8 , 24mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and 85mm f2, all excellent lenses and with macro capabilities . I do weddings with this lenses and nothing to complain and im coming from Ef L and Art lenses adapted

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2022
The fact that you’ve written or (1.4) in discussing the long awaited RF 35 1.2 L is making me uncomfortable. That thing better not be a 1.4! I’ll be pissed as I’ve been waiting forever for a 1.2 35. I also was gonna buy the 135 1.4 that ended up being a 1.8 which I already have in the Sigma. But the 35 1.2 is my dream lens. I would be interested in a fast 28 1.2 though. My first lens when I was in high school was a 28 and I’ve always liked that perspective as well. But a 35 is perfect for editorial/environmental portrait work.

Wouldn't make a TON of sense to do a f/1.4 since the f/1.8 is already around $500 unless they charge $3000 for the f/1.2 (which knowing Canon they would...).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
That's what my wallet said when my only option was to either buy the tiny $270 1.8 STM or the $3000 1.2 L. (I am in Canada, so I used Canadian Pricing)
If only there was a demand for a middle class 50 like a 50mm 1.4 IS Macro to match the 24 IS Macro, 35 IS Macro and 85 IS Macro.
That would be a sweet combo for anyone starting out or a hobbyist wanting decently fast glass without having to break the bank to get the L's.
I could see even Semi-Pros rocking these combos.

I think that eventually a RF 50 f1.4 probably makes sense, especially with the lack of 3rd party RF glass, but the existing f1.8 is pretty much ideal for someone starting out.

The current step up from that is using adapted glass like the Sigma EF 50 f1.4 or even the Canon EF 50 f1.2 which are both in between the costs of the two RF options and work well for those wanting better glass than the RF 1.8 but who can't justify the cost of the RF f1.2.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

Or, more likely, quite the opposite. Do you seriously not think that Canon has sales figures for how popular a 50mm 1.4 lens is? Do you seriously not think that Canon does considerable market research? The 50mm 1.4 is pretty obviously a low seller, low priority lens.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Or, more likely, quite the opposite. Do you seriously not think that Canon has sales figures for how popular a 50mm 1.4 lens is? Do you seriously not think that Canon does considerable market research? The 50mm 1.4 is pretty obviously a low seller, low priority lens.
Capture.jpg

• Haha
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I'm probably gonna put my ignorance of (and non-use of) WA lenses out there, but wouldn't three lenses of 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm seem too closely spaced together?
I think few people will buy all 3. Its possible that the release of all 3 at the same time, or at least announcement of them at the same time, is so people know what's coming so they can pick their favorite. Just speculation. People seem to have a favorite among these focal lengths and stick to that.

If the 24 is not too pricy and good for astro, I might go for it. I think it'll be $2k though. Which means I won't. The non-L 24 would be fine, but it gets a lot of mediocre to poor reviews for astro. I'd really like the new Sigma 20mm, which gets good reviews for astro. Maybe soon on the canon system.

-Brian

Upvote 0