Canon releases firmware 1.8.0 for the EOS R6

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I don't want bug fixes, I want new features ;)
"Features" look good on a spec sheet, but I buy a camera on the basis of its original specifications, and where firmware updates are concerned, I'd prefer to see bugs ironed out, and improvements to functionality and performance, e.g.

more accurate and reliable subject recognition
faster AF acquisition
stickier AF tracking
less drain on batteries
elimination of freezes and lockups

Note - these are generalised comments, not specific to any particular model.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
I’d appreciate if Canon fixes the bug when anytime I take a pic and want to delete it it just says “Sending”.
So I need to go to the menu, communication and cancel the transfer and turn off auto transfer to image.canon. And then I have to remember to turn it on again when I get home.
This happens even when I’m not connected to any WiFi.

Upvote 0

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
"Features" look good on a spec sheet, but I buy a camera on the basis of its original specifications, and where firmware updates are concerned, I'd prefer to see bugs ironed out, and improvements to functionality and performance, e.g.

more accurate and reliable subject recognition
faster AF acquisition
stickier AF tracking
less drain on batteries
elimination of freezes and lockups

Note - these are generalised comments, not specific to any particular model.
I know, I know. I was just being facetious ;)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Nice to see that the R6 is still getting firmware updates
It was released July 2020, less then 3 years ago, so it's a brand new camera, would be strange if it doesn't still receive updates after such a short period after the release; I would expect not less then 5 or 6 years of updates, minimum, of course if and when updates are needed.

Electronics, and cameras, today are much more complicate and advanced then in the SLR days, so they will need improvement and compatibility updates for a much longer period; Canon will present many more new functions on lenses/strobes/accessories for the R mount, and I expect that all cameras will be regularly updated to take advantage of the new functions, clearly if the hardware and processing power of the camera could support them.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It was released July 2020, less then 3 years ago, so it's a brand new camera, would be strange if it doesn't still receive updates after such a short period after the release; I would expect not less then 5 or 6 years of updates, minimum, of course if and when updates are needed.

Electronics, and cameras, today are much more complicate and advanced then in the SLR days, so they will need improvement and compatibility updates for a much longer period; Canon will present many more new functions on lenses/strobes/accessories for the R mount, and I expect that all cameras will be regularly updated to take advantage of the new functions, clearly if the hardware and processing power of the camera could support them.
Sad to say, but I think that's wishful thinking. Once a new iteration of a model is released, Canon will want us to upgrade to get the extra features and functionality. Why would Canon decide to add "free" features to an existing model, when they can get us to pay $xxxx for a new body?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't think you both are referring to the same.

Firmware updates don't always mean new features, but firmware updates are necessary, sometimes. It hasn't been too long since Canon released a firmware update that included several cameras that were already many years old.

I'm not expecting any more features to be added to my R6, since there's already a new model, but I'm certainly expecting bug fixes and, if it comes to that, security updates.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I don't think you both are referring to the same.

Firmware updates don't always mean new features, but firmware updates are necessary, sometimes. It hasn't been too long since Canon released a firmware update that included several cameras that were already many years old.

I'm not expecting any more features to be added to my R6, since there's already a new model, but I'm certainly expecting bug fixes and, if it comes to that, security updates.
Yes, there will probably be a few very minor bug fixes. In the cases of the R5 and R6, I don't think there are many (any?) bugs left to fix. Touch wood, I've had no freezes with my R5 since 1.6.0. It's quite possible that there could be a few compatibility issues between these cameras and certain future lenses and/or flash units though, and these will clearly be addressed as they arise.

As for new "features" I doubt very much if the R6 will get any, given that Canon will prefer to sell the R6ii. I'm not expecting the R5ii to be announced any time soon (I think we'll see a hi-res R5s next), so there's still a slim chance that some "enhancements" could be made available for the R5, e.g. user-selectable fps with electronic shutter, and stickier AF tracking.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I doubt that will ever happen, even though I’d love to have it on my R6.

On the R6ii, R3 and (I think) R7, the “slow” drive mode for electronic shutter is 15fps, they’re not even slowing it down to 10fps…
On the R3 it's 30/15/3 fps: https://cam.start.canon/en/C010/manual/html/UG-04_AF-Drive_0100.html
On the R6II it's 40/20/5 fps: https://cam.start.canon/en/C012/manual/html/UG-05_AF-Drive_0120.html
On the R7 it's 30/15/3 fps: https://cam.start.canon/en/C005/manual/html/UG-05_AF-Drive_0130.html
On the R8 it's 40/20/5 fps: https://cam.start.canon/en/C013/manual/html/UG-05_AF-Drive_0120.html

The manuals on cam.start.canon get updated with every firmware release and don't require clicking through an obstacle course like the regional Canon sites require.

And yes, I'd like to have a user selectable option as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Hmmm....so it seems the R6ii and the R8 are able to. I didn't know that.

Notice that for the R7 and R3 the manual doesn't tell which shutter mode is used on low-continuous shooting — I think that's mechanical, like our R6s. I think those two cameras can't shoot continuously at less than 15fps with electronic shutter.

Having an option to shoot somewhere between 5 to 10fps with ES would be great. Many times I just need those 3 or 4 frames and get 7 or 8 instead.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Hmmm....so it seems the R6ii and the R8 are able to. I didn't know that.

Notice that for the R7 and R3 the manual doesn't tell which shutter mode is used on low-continuous shooting — I think that's mechanical, like our R6s. I think those two cameras can't shoot continuously at less than 15fps with electronic shutter.

Having an option to shoot somewhere between 5 to 10fps with ES would be great. Many times I just need those 3 or 4 frames and get 7 or 8 instead.
Yes, it would be great to have an update providing slow and medium burst speeds with electronic shutter on my R5, but I don't think Canon will do so. It would also be great to have exposure bracketing with electronic shutter, but I can't see that happening either. Canon, are you listening?

Upvote 0