Meike launches the AF 85mm f/1.4 autofocus lens for the RF mount

The Samyang versions were basically DSLR lenses with built in adapters. You could see the space for it when you looked at the DSLR and RF versions side by side. I don’t recall Canon ever going after Samyang. If memory serves, it was Viltrox (or another brand?) that got the cease and desist and Samyang proactively pulled their lenses in response to that. Perhaps to avoid what they thought might be future legal fees?
The Samyang lenses weren't DSLR ones with built-in adapters. They were bona fide mirrorless designs, the same that Samyang released for Sony E-mount cameras. I used to have the Samyang 14mm AF for RF mount, and it did not have a space in the back to account for the flange difference (and in fact was quite different optically from the EF 14mm AF lens which Samyang then did and still does sell).

However, there have been some MF lenses for the RF mount that are more or less EF lenses with adapters. And a number of Sigma lenses for Sony cameras were DSLR designs, in the same vein...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If Canon is licensing 3rd parties then only 2 lenses that I want for RF mount are Sigma 105mm DG DN Macro and Sigma 24mm f3.5 DG DN.
Sigma 105mm DG DN Macro has a good reputation, but why not get the Canon RF 100mm macro? It's extremely sharp, focuses down to 1.4x magnification, has very fast and accurate AF, and excellent OIS.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
So after DR, overheating and 3rd party lenses, what do I need to tell the online mobs to agitate about to get that trolling money from Sony? Some of them have gotten rid of all their Canon gear like 10 times the past year!
I have a horrible feeling that with dpreview on its death bed, we'll find some of the trolls emigrating here...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Sigma 105mm DG DN Macro has a good reputation, but why not get the Canon RF 100mm macro? It's extremely sharp, focuses down to 1.4x magnification, has very fast and accurate AF, and excellent OIS.
The RF100L is almost double the price of the Sigma here, €800 vs €1500. It's a great lens and I enjoy using it, but compared to the EF100L pricing, I find it overpriced.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Same reason as mentioned above RF 100mm is extremely expensive INR128500(~US$1566) vs INR73000(~US$890) for Sigma 105mm Macro, also I do currently own a EF 100 mm L and Laowa 100mm(for time when I need above 1x mag ratio). In future it would be easier for me to replace EF 100mm(when it fails in rainforest) with Sigma 105mm(granted it comes for RF).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There's probably something behind the scenes related to the backlash that Canon got that led them to approve this.

Either way, the door is now open and please Tamron I want that 28-75 for RF!
Backlash? Lol. Tempest in a teapot. Logically, Meike made a lens that doesn’t infringe on Canon’s issued patents, whereas Viltrox and Samyang did not.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
There's probably something behind the scenes related to the backlash that Canon got that led them to approve this.

Either way, the door is now open and please Tamron I want that 28-75 for RF!
The door was never closed. People on the internet took a known fact (Canon has two lens makers stop making AF RF lenses due to patent infringement) and blew it up into "Canon won't allow 3rd party lenses" or "There will never be any 3rd party AF lenses for the RF mount." Alas, a typical scenario in today's social media world where fact, rumor and downright lies are all mingled together and treated equally. (Actually lies and misinformation are far more accepted than facts in many cases). Canon says they have no 3rd party policy at this time and never had one. They will look at things on an individual basis. So we have no idea how open the door is or will be.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Same reason as mentioned above RF 100mm is extremely expensive INR128500(~US$1566) vs INR73000(~US$890) for Sigma 105mm Macro, also I do currently own a EF 100 mm L and Laowa 100mm(for time when I need above 1x mag ratio). In future it would be easier for me to replace EF 100mm(when it fails in rainforest) with Sigma 105mm(granted it comes for RF).
Yeah, all Canon gear is very expensive in India - Nikons seem to be cheaper and more popular in your country.

Upvote 0
The door was never closed. [...] They will look at things on an individual basis. So we have no idea how open the door is or will be.

We know that neither Sigma nor Tamron have any 3rd party glass on Canon's nearly 5-year-old RF mount. Whatever Canon's policy is, the main players that make the most (and best) 3rd party glass are staying away.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If so, that implies that they could be using the EF protocol for the RF mount - which in turn *may* possibly mean that there could be compatibility issues with future RF cameras, if/when the 2 extra pins of the RF mount are used for something other than merely speeding up data flow.
It doesn't necessarily imply that they are using EF protocols. According to patent law, you can patent a new lens mount but you cannot patent the complementary mount on the lens as that would inihibit competition. Further, it is perfectly legal to reverse engineer any communication protocol provided you don't illicitly get hold of Canon's own protocols and use them partly or in full.

Upvote 0