Meike launches the AF 85mm f/1.4 autofocus lens for the RF mount

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It doesn't necessarily imply that they are using EF protocols. According to patent law, you can patent a new lens mount but you cannot patent the complementary mount on the lens as that would inihibit competition. Further, it is perfectly legal to reverse engineer any communication protocol provided you don't illicitly get hold of Canon's own protocols and use them partly or in full.
Yes, written quickly and just poor phrasing on my part.
I should have said "It *could* imply they are using EF protocols".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I am curious if it is using the RF protocol or the EF. If I remember correctly, the Viltrox was using EF with an RF mount. I wonder if the "approval" is strictly communication through the RF mount or use of the actual protocol itself. Curious to see what comes next.
What comes next is a very long wait and a lot of frustration from those who want Tamron and/or Sigma to follow suit. Don't expect anything to happen until Canon has filled out the few remaining gaps in the RF line up - probably another 2 years time. Meanwhile, Canon is selling their lenses faster than they can produce them. They're in no hurry while the money is rolling in. Best you can hope for is that minor manufacturers like Samyang will knock out a couple more AF lenses, but their track record shows that they only seem to be interested in covering a quite limited range of focal lengths.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
So after DR, overheating and 3rd party lenses, what do I need to tell the online mobs to agitate about to get that trolling money from Sony? Some of them have gotten rid of all their Canon gear like 10 times the past year!
Trolls are so inventive, no reason to worry about them (or their income from soni). They'll find another shockingly missing feature, even if it's only the Sony brandname on a Canon body.

Upvote 0
canonmemes001aed1q.jpg

canonmemes003zsccf.jpg

canonmemes002bdf2a.jpg

canonmemes004bodt1.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Wow...big news! Now quick - Someone hit me up with a 20mm lens for astro!

Hopefully this is the hole in the dam that starts the steady flow of 3rd party glass to the RF mount!

I suppose what Canon is doing makes sense. If you think you're going to be selling less cameras (know that, really) then you add revenue streams by getting a license fee from all the 3rd party folks. From a business perspective, could be interesting to see if this pays off better for Canon, and if Sony regrets not doing a similar structure back in the day. But at the time they needed lenses to drive body sales, so even that was a defensible decision given what the conditions were at the time.

-Brian
or wider! A 14mm/1.8 with controlled coma would be lush

Upvote 0
As I suspected. They just prevent companies from stealing their intellectual property. The world is very strange now. People that don’t want to be stolen from have become the bad guys whereas people that steal have excuses made for their behavior and entitlement justifications made for their choices.
Very true... but it would make sense for Canon to encrypt the RF protocol to remove the likelihood of reverse engineering. It would be strange for Canon not to learn from the EF lens compatibility from 3rd parties sharing their lens sales without approval.
Can we be sure that the previous 3rd party RF lenses with AF were not just using the EF protocol?

Upvote 0
I have a horrible feeling that with dpreview on its death bed, we'll find some of the trolls emigrating here...
A couple have created accounts and posted something which was quickly pounced on... good fun actually!
C'est simple... ask them to justify their statement and they crumble :cool:

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Petapixel is actually at NAB and they said they got the information from both Canon and Meike themselves.
Interesting. I literally asked three guys at the Meike booth about this lens and they literally looked at me like I wasn't supposed to know anything about it. I referenced this article and the guy said "no, we only have Sony E mount." I said "so y'all didn't announce an RF 85 lens?" and he said no. He said they're working on it but it isn't available yet. I walked around the entire booth and I didn't see any RF AF 85. In fact, the only RF lenses they had on display were all cine lens; same with the EF mount lenses. Maybe it was in a case somewhere that I missed, but either way, there seemed to be a disconnect between the "announcement" and the guys at the booth.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Yeah, all Canon gear is very expensive in India - Nikons seem to be cheaper and more popular in your country.
2-3 years back Canon gear was priced within 5% of US prices but still compared to Nikon quite a lot more expensive. In general though among birders Nikon is quite a lot more prevalent though Canon is quite a lot more present among herp photography group.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Interesting. I literally asked three guys at the Meike booth about this lens and they literally looked at me like I wasn't supposed to know anything about it. I referenced this article and the guy said "no, we only have Sony E mount." I said "so y'all didn't announce an RF 85 lens?" and he said no. He said they're working on it but it isn't available yet. I walked around the entire booth and I didn't see any RF AF 85. In fact, the only RF lenses they had on display were all cine lens; same with the EF mount lenses. Maybe it was in a case somewhere that I missed, but either way, there seemed to be a disconnect between the "announcement" and the guys at the booth.

Don't companies sometimes have things they only show certain magazines or websites in a private room, so there can be an exclusive story?

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Don't companies sometimes have things they only show certain magazines or websites in a private room, so there can be an exclusive story?

Perhaps, yes. I guess the confusion is this floating around...it seems the notion was that it was readily viewable at NAB. But in looking at this, it doesn't specifically say the new RF would be there, it's just included in the listing of mounts. They only mentioned the E mount lens being there for this particular lens.

Upvote 0