Let’s talk Canon EOS R1, the flagship of flagships?

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
@neuroanatomist do you think we would see a 1/500th sec X-sync in the R1 or the usual 1/250th. It could be even higher what do you think. I know that the R3 has an X-sync of 1/180th which is slower than than the usual 1/200th or 1/250th sec.
The R3 is 1/200 s with mechanical shutter, 1/250 s with EFCS. The R3 is 1/180 s with full electronic shutter, which is an infinite improvement over ‘the usual’ since no other Canon camera can even fire a flash with full electronic shutter. It’s possible with the R3 because of the stacked sensor.

I suspect the R1 will similar to the R3 for flash sync speeds.

Upvote 0
The R3 is 1/200 s with mechanical shutter, 1/250 s with EFCS. The R3 is 1/180 s with full electronic shutter, which is an infinite improvement over ‘the usual’ since no other Canon camera can even fire a flash with full electronic shutter. It’s possible with the R3 because of the stacked sensor.

I suspect the R1 will similar to the R3 for flash sync speeds.
@neuroanatomist I think Canon will use 1/200th or 1/250th sec x-sync in mechanical and in EFCS & Full Electronic 1/320th possibly. I don't see Canon using a slow x-sync speed in the R1. Do you think that Canon will completely drop the 1/180th x-sync from new cameras or at least use it in the lower end consumer bodies. Like if Canon made like an "EOS R1000" (model similar to like the Rebel T100/ EOS 4000D).

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
@neuroanatomist I think Canon will use 1/200th or 1/250th sec x-sync in mechanical and in EFCS & Full Electronic 1/320th possibly. I don't see Canon using a slow x-sync speed in the R1.
I think you’re missing the point. The R3’s 1/180 s in ES may seem slow, but probably that’s the best achievable with its stacked sensor. The R1 may do a little better, but I’d call a 1/3- to 1/2-stop improvement ‘similar to the R3’. Of course, if the R1 has a global shutter, it will be a completely different story…not that I expect that to happen.

Do you think that Canon will completely drop the 1/180th x-sync from new cameras or at least use it in the lower end consumer bodies. Like if Canon made like an "EOS R1000" (model similar to like the Rebel T100/ EOS 4000D).
APS-C cameras tend to have higher flash sync speeds, because the curtains don’t have to travel as far. For example, the R7 can do 1/320 s in EFCS. 1-series DSLRs had 1/250 s (except the old 1D series were faster because of APS-H, and IIRC the original 1D used a CCD sensor and had 1/500 Xsync).

Upvote 0
Having been on forums for almost 10 years, your comment is the typical Canon bashing comment that is...well...full of crap. The rumored specs are almost always underwhelming (compared to Sony, let's say) and people are complaining and moaning. Then, after the camera is released and people use it, they suddenly realize how good it is.
Can you say this about the R7? Good example of what could have been. Believe it or not I am a Canon user, not mirrorless but DSLR. Sadly their offerings haven't convinced me to switch to mirrorless. The Nikon Z8 is tempting.

Upvote 0
I think you’re missing the point. The R3’s 1/180 s in ES may seem slow, but probably that’s the best achievable with its stacked sensor. The R1 may do a little better, but I’d call a 1/3- to 1/2-stop improvement ‘similar to the R3’. Of course, if the R1 has a global shutter, it will be a completely different story…not that I expect that to happen.

APS-C cameras tend to have higher flash sync speeds, because the curtains don’t have to travel as far. For example, the R7 can do 1/320 s in EFCS. 1-series DSLRs had 1/250 s (except the old 1D series were faster because of APS-H, and IIRC the original 1D used a CCD sensor and had 1/500 Xsync).
Didn't know that some 1D series cameras had a 1/500th x-sync speed.

Upvote 0
Just one, the original. It had an 1/16000 s top shutter speed, too. After that they switched from CCD to CMOS sensors.
If I remember correctly didn't the 1st 1D series camera have a 4 megapixel sensor. I've seen pictures from it they were beautiful. The only 1 series camera I've used was the EOS 1V from 2000.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Can you say this about the R7? Good example of what could have been. Believe it or not I am a Canon user, not mirrorless but DSLR. Sadly their offerings haven't convinced me to switch to mirrorless. The Nikon Z8 is tempting.
Sure I can. I've owned numerous crop cameras and, at its price point, it is arguably the best APS-C camera ever made with an AF system well above its price point. What exactly do you think is a let down for a $1499 camera?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Having been on forums for almost 10 years, your comment is the typical Canon bashing comment that is...well...full of crap. The rumored specs are almost always underwhelming (compared to Sony, let's say) and people are complaining and moaning. Then, after the camera is released and people use it, they suddenly realize how good it is.
Canon cameras have always been a sum of their parts. Which really should be the engineering goal anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I actually don't know, that's a bit above my paygrade. However, I have a meeting with a memory card maker on Monday.... probably not a meeting, more like an educational workshop. I'd like to know all there is to know from the consumer side of things.
It would be an easy way for card vendors to future proof cards while staying compliant to the spec. I’m curious when camera and reader vendors will start supporting pcie4.

Offloading a few thousand pictures still takes a while, even with fast cards, readers and target drive.

The Asmedia 2426PD bridge allows interfacing pcie4 nvme drives to thunderbolt, early benchmarks show a nice improvement in performance. That’s especially nice considering that thunderbolt is pcie3 :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I really hope that Canon does not make the body that much larger than the R3. Coming from 1Dx Mk2 I was thrilled to see that Canon made the R3 about 500 grams lighter and about 1 inch shorter than the 1Dx Mk2. I would not mind if they made the body a bit thicker or wider, but please do not make it taller. With a shorter body I can fit it into bags standing up that otherwise it would not.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
2) The ability to set shooting rate!!!! The choice of 1 frame, 3 frames per second, or 30 frames per second is totally unacceptable on the R3. I can set shooting rate to 4 fps, 6 fps, 8 fps, or anything up to the max rate of the shutter of my 1Dx Mk III and my clients love that. Please Canon! Give me control of frame rate!!!!!

I agree, the R3 definitely deserves to have FPS options in at least 5 FPS increments.

Upvote 0