Does Canon have plans to release a ‘retro’ styled EOS R camera in the future?

Jul 17, 2023
I love my AE-1. It's on my shelf now as I haven't shot film for 15 years. I appropriated it from my dad and used it all through high school and college. Even professionally in the very early 2000's. I'd love for it to be close to the performance of the R6 Mkii with NO video features at all. Old school. The Leica M2 proves that there is a market for this form factor. Small and cool. I'm still amazed at how small the lenses are.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
No please!
Read what Thom Hogan has to say about Nikon's retro bodies... I agree with him.
But more importantly...
Canon, where is my 35mm f/1.2L?!? :love: stop faffing around and announce it already so that I can order it.
In the meantime, I got myself a sweet DJI Mavic 3 Pro :devilish:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why? There are lots of discussion about ergonomics, flippy screens, control placement, mega pixels, costs and so on. In today's economy, would those same folks that complain about that spend money on a camera that looks ~30+ years old and most likely has the same or less features as a current modern model? Who knows? I'm confident Canon's marketing gurus will have a good estimate of potential sales. Heck, if i could go back, i'd like to have my waistline and hair back. :ROFLMAO: Otherwise I'm liking the new stuff.

Upvote 0

mkush

CR Pro
Mar 21, 2015
Interesting timing. Today on NikonRumors:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why are people so obsessed with shoving a modern camera into a an old body with crappy ergonomics?
Hobbyists for whom having an ergonomic grip is secondary to simplicity of design and the clarity of seeing all of your settings on dials versus reading them off an LCD.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
They would probably sell a heap of a retro styled bodies! Query which existing body they would adapt though? The R6 II maybe? The R8?
They could stuff an Rwhatever in my old Elan IIe. That would give them faux retro and an eye controlled AF with mediocre results.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
Interesting timing. Today on NikonRumors:
Looks cool, though I wish the grip was bigger. The tiny side hump reminds me of the F3 which I find awkward to hold. I prefer the chunkier detachable grip of the FA.

If Voigtlander make some more full frame Z mount lenses it's gonna look really slick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0