Does Canon have plans to release a ‘retro’ styled EOS R camera in the future?

So much conversation on this forum boils down to "Well, Canon will do it if Canon decides. Canon knows best." Obviously manufacturers do market research and make calculated decisions about their product portfolios. I prefer to discuss what our desired products might look like/function like, and why or why not there is a good reason to make said products (from our own point of view), instead of bicker about whether or not our opinions even matter. After all, we're here to talk about photography, not corporate marketing and product management.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So much conversation on this forum boils down to "Well, Canon will do it if Canon decides. Canon knows best." Obviously manufacturers do market research and make calculated decisions about their product portfolios. I prefer to discuss what our desired products might look like/function like, and why or why not there is a good reason to make said products (from our own point of view), instead of bicker about whether or not our opinions even matter. After all, we're here to talk about photography, not corporate marketing and product management.
I agree...until it gets to the point of 'Canon must do X or make Y, or they will suffer'...expressing desires is one thing, and good fodder for discussion. But making conclusions about Canon's corporate prospects based on one's desires is bringing it into the realm of corporate marketing and product management, yet people do just that then whine about the blowback their predictions engender.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
There is something to be said about a camera that makes you want to go out and shoot. ....
I agree. Which is why ergonomics is important to me. If it doesn't have a deep grip and a body contoured to the hand that makes it easy to hold for hours on end, no thanks. I started in photography in 1979. No way I would want to go back to boxy, little or no grip, cameras.

But for those that want to go retro, I hope you get the camera that makes you want to go out and shoot. The more choice, the merrier.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sure.. much be a direct replacement at 50% more cost (current pricing in the US).
Can't see it be a direct replacement... can you?
Comparing the price of a new product with the street price of an old product is not very reasonable. The RP launched at $1300, the R8 at $1500. Adjusting the RP price for inflation since 2019, today's cost would be $1550. The R8 even takes the same extension grip. What would you call it, if not a direct replacement?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Comparing the price of a new product with the street price of an old product is not very reasonable. The RP launched at $1300, the R8 at $1500. Adjusting the RP price for inflation since 2019, today's cost would be $1550. The R8 even takes the same extension grip. What would you call it, if not a direct replacement?
A direct replacement of the R6 is the R6ii at the same price but the R6 is still available at a lower price so I don't really buy into the old vs current price.
The current price of the RP has been consistent for some time now and doesn't show that it is discounted.
I believe that there is a replacement RP coming at that price point without EVF for instance but we will see. I guess that the RP is in the cashcow point in its lifecycle so Canon is happy to keep selling them and making money.

Upvote 0
Well enough to continue making the line in the mirrorless world.
Erm actually the Df didn't really do that well. It was chonky and overpriced for what it was.

The Zfc was there to fix the main problems with the Z50. Namely replacing the mini USB port that can't be used to charge the battery or provide constant power and the ridiculous looking flip down screen with a swivel screen. The target market for the camera is vloggers and those design decisions made it very clear they intend for vloggers to also consider using this camera, including the newer generation who wanted a retro looking camera like the Tiktok crowd who picked up the X100v. The Zfc sold ok because it was a fixed Z50 with an attempt to meet the new generation's needs of not just aesthetics, but also video specs.

The Zf just picks up on that. Retro trend and taking the not-as-video-friendly and lacking autofocus performance by allegedly giving it the swivel screen and the new chip. It's literally just a full frame Z fc.

Nikon knows the retro aesthetics and controls isn't enough, it also needed to tap onto the major driving force of camera sales today: video. The retro part is frankly speaking, just a nice "by the way." The Z50 and Z6(ii) aren't the best at video, so the demand for a better video camera is there. Canon however already has the video portion sorted out. So while Canon could still do it and it will be ok, it won't be as big as a hit that people think, because the video side has already been satiated by Canon's current cameras.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Attachments

• 2d8285b7bd98298f2befed6a9e599994.jpg
    2d8285b7bd98298f2befed6a9e599994.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 6a9031faaa0b30f3413307e7d59790c2.jpg
    6a9031faaa0b30f3413307e7d59790c2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1
  • weegee5.jpg