Does Canon have plans to release a ‘retro’ styled EOS R camera in the future?

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I would have little to no interest in an APS-C retro body from Canon, as the Fujifilm already destroys that market segment with borderline perfect balance of size/quality and lens options. I’m confident Canon would totally ignore the APS-C mount with lenses that “fit” that design aesthetic. With that said, if they made a retro full-frame camera? I would be all over it. I still shoot on my film cameras and develop black and white at home. I would love to use my “silver ring” primes on a retro AE-1 styled camera body. I think that would be awesome.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
I have a Canon zoom lens for my AE-1. 70-200.
That’s fine. But Canon already has the R cameras with better ergonomics for such lenses. My point is that should Canon release such a camera in modern times, it seems to be it would be used mainly for street with lenses ranging from 28 to 50mm. Fujifilm themselves released cameras with modern design and large grips to accommodate their larger lenses.

Sep 20, 2020
Naturally, for this to work, Canon need to release with this eventual body a couple of prime lenses with a matching retro style. I don’t see zoom lenses working with this.
Canon had some vintage stylish cameras with decent grip before they went all in on ergonomics.
canon-al-1.jpg

I do not blame Canon for the change.
The Rebel sold like crazy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I agree with this. It doesn't have to be retro, just as it doesn't have to be ugly. It could be art deco or modern type styling. They put 0 effort into how it looks.
Yeah, Canon does not try to be modern.
Their style really has not changed much over the years.
A Canon camera looks like a Canon camera.

Upvote 0
Might work if it was based on the R100. It\'s only draw is nostalgia so a R100 in an AE-1 body might be a consumer draw as a \"fun\" & inexpensive travel camera. I can\'t see people who spend time on \"the perfect shot,\" paying a premium for aesthetics over usable features. But even if such a camera was based on the R6 II or R5 and had the same price, I\'d still buy the boring body over the retro reskin because retro anything is just a conversation piece and is by default fashion and whimsical which has zero to do with why I\'m out shooting.

Upvote 0
Photography should be fun and carrying around a potato is not much fun.

Yes, the act of making photographs should be fun, and dead weight is not fun at all. But neither of those things has anything to do with what your camera looks like. Capturing wildlife doing wildlife things or a stunning sunset or whatever is what makes photography fun -- getting that amazing once is a lifetime shot. What the body's skin looks like is irrelevant. No one bought the R5 back in 2020 for its looks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Capturing wildlife doing wildlife things or a stunning sunset or whatever is what makes photography fun -- getting that amazing once is a lifetime shot. What the body's skin looks like is irrelevant.
Nonsense. If Canon makes a retro body, it’ll make me look like this when I’m taking pictures.

1692460550777.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
There is something to be said about a camera that makes you want to go out and shoot. The nostalgia is infectious. I know the X100V is popular partly due to scarcity, but the main reason is because people absolutely love the retro look. Maybe it's just jewelry for some, but I can tell you that when I look at mine sitting on the shelf, I just wanna drive to the city and do a photo walk.

Personally if Canon released a retro FF body with a fixed ~28/2 lens, I would be extremely tempted. Even as an ILC I would be, but they don't have any compact L primes for RF yet. The 28 pancake would suffice for a while, for sure, but Fuji was able to make their 23/2 lens in the X100 so small because part of the lens resides inside the body. If Canon employed a similar technique, I bet they could fit a 28mm around f/1.7-2 as well. Of course, this body would still benefit from the typical accoutrements of a higher end RF body, including a joystick and IBIS, to maximize the usefulness of a fixed lens camera, but I could compromise on the IBIS if it meant keeping the body about the size of the R8.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I know the X100V is popular partly due to scarcity, but the main reason is because people absolutely love the retro look.
‘Popular’ is relative. Fuji has a single-digit market share. Canon hasn’t done a real retro body. Neither has Sony. Nikon has, but it didn’t help them from hemorrhaging market share. They’re doing another, apparently.

I doubt it’s an accident or a coincidence that these retro bodies are made by the minor players (as far as market share). Rather, they are making niche products that Canon and Sony are not, because Canon and Sony are not.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
‘Popular’ is relative. Fuji has a single-digit market share. Canon hasn’t done a real retro body. Neither has Sony. Nikon has, but it didn’t help them from hemorrhaging market share. They’re doing another, apparently.

I doubt it’s an accident or a coincidence that these retro bodies are made by the minor players (as far as market share). Rather, they are making niche products that Canon and Sony are not, because Canon and Sony are not.
OK.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
During the Photo & Imaging show in Shanghai earlier this month, Canon representatives did their normal interviews with various publications. As per usual, they were tight lipped about future products. However, sometimes you can read between the lines, especially when they cannot confirm or deny a product is coming in the future, or at least

See full article...
Sorry to be the party breaker, but why? The ergonomics of the film bodies (the F1n, A1, AE1 (nor or program) was briliant for that time. The new digital age needs lot of buttons, connectors, screen and things never imagined back then. So why a company will spend a lot of effort for a model which is not really practical and have a very small group of fans? The amount of need to be spend on such a thing will be enourmeous, and I wonder, in current economical situation, that such an adventure is really needed.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0