Update on the Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS USM

I noticed there did appear to be two rings like the standard control ring, which is white on white lenses. But the texture of a white control ring is damn near useless for focusing. In fact, I have placed a 3M safety tread material on the focus ring of my 100-500 to make it more easily located and used. What I see from that quality photo of the 200-800 is either a push-pull design or something which will be near impossible to focus under intense conditions.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
As I said before, I thought it unlikely this lens would not have weather sealing, as it's clearly Canon's answer to Sony and Nikon's 600mm zooms, with an extra 200mm to give it the edge. It wouldn't make any sense to hamstring without weather sealing, to give Sony and Nikon an edge, when there's no need to give them any edge. Weather sealing is hardly high technology. I think most importantly, this looks like a serious stab at a good quality, wildlife and birding lens. Unless, there's something shockingly bad, I will be getting this lens. I finally got an R7 today (still been using my DSLRs). As long as the IQ is solid, I'll be getting this. However, in the meantime, I'll carry on with my 100-400mm mkII. I hope I don't misjudge this, and it's difficult to get for ages. I normally like to see tests and user experience first. 800mm without a tc, would be a massive advantage to me. One nice touch I can see, is some strap lugs on the lens, because I wouldn't like this hanging off my lens mount all day.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
I'm not so sure. One looks like a zoom tension ring and the other a custom function ring.
Depends on whether it's an extending lens or internal zoom (the latter don't need tension rings). It does look a bit like an internal zoom lens. However, it looks similar in length or less to the Sony and Nikon 600mm zooms, So either it has a DO element, or has some sort of extension, or other wizardry to keep the length down.

Upvote 0
I just hope that canon can build enough of these lenses to keep up wioth the demand! For current users of the RF 100-500 LIS, there's not much here to see, easpecially if you have an R7 or a full frame and a 1.4x TC.
However, if you are new to this sector...you now have 2 excellent lens choices! That could be a tough choice!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Would anyone else be surprised by a non-L lens having both a control ring and a custom function button? I can pretty clearly see the button but do not see a ring. Hopefully the white ring is a textured rubber ring that the picture is too blurred to appreciate the ribs on.
There’s a control ring at the back of the lens, looks just like the ones on my 70-200/2.8 and 100-500.

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure. One looks like a zoom tension ring and the other a custom function ring.

Depends on whether it's an extending lens or internal zoom (the latter don't need tension rings).

Comparing to the 100-500: big black zoom ring; white tension ring behind that (complete with SMOOTH <-> TIGHT markings). Then buttons and switches, followed by a white (!) focus ring. It narrows behind the tripod mount, and then you can see the white control ring behind that before it narrows to the RF mount interface.

I wouldn't bet on an internal zoom.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The slight divot (unless if it is bad cutout job) near the front section in white may indicate that it is at least push/pull zoomable.
It’s a photoshop cutout job, the barrel is smooth there.

For such a large lens there certainly seems to be a bit lacking on the switches. It looks like IS on/off and AF/MF. No focus limiter switch nor type of stabilizer mode available.
Yes, looks like just those two switches.

Upvote 0
The RF 100-500mm is a very good compromise between size and weight on the one hand and focal length on the other. I may well buy the 200-800mm to complement it for when I want longer focal length if it has good enough IQ and not too heavy. But, I have the feeling that the RF 100-500mm will be significantly better for BIF as 800mm is too long for me for fast flying birds and the IQ of the 100-500 is stellar.
I'm sorry AlanF, but you are required to buy this lens. I will be making a purchase decision based on your CanonRumors review of it for bird photography.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0