Worst of Canon 2023: It’s Unanimous

Sep 20, 2020
Hmm, sarcasm alert failure
All corporates release dodgy products but who knows, maybe they will sell!
The Rebel T7 is one of Canon's best selling products.
It lacks in camera charging and a touch screen.
The M100 was never one of Canon's best selling products.
People wanted the R100 to be the new M100 but it is the new 100D.
Canon makes what sells.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Funny because I liked the R100. It's not for me, or really anyone who watches our YouTube channel, but it's perfect for a family member of mine. She came to me recently complaining that her Canon T3 broke (after 10 years) and she wanted to get another T3 but they didn't make them anymore. The R100 is pretty much exactly a T3. She's only going to use the viewfinder, because she's older and that's how she learned photography, and also she refuses to use reading glasses. She thinks cameras should cost about $300, so the extra $100 or $200 to step up to an R50 would seem like a lot.

Anyway, the R100 is as basic and cheap as you can get, but that's what some people want. There's really no other new mirrorless camera at that price point to recommend instead, so how can we complain?

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
It is indeed a fact, from the source that was ever kind to Canon.

Even if that's true, like most existing R-series users I'm not in the market for a Sony lens so I'm not sure it's particularly relevant.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Gino_FOTO

Right in the middle of exposure triangle.
Aug 19, 2018
Even if that's true, like most existing R-series users I'm not in the market for a Sony lens so I'm not sure it's particularly relevant.
it's important to have relevant reference point outside of Canon bubble, automotive paralel would be, even lifetime Toyota buyer should know what Hyundai offer in the same price bracket etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2019

I would like to see it compared to the Nikon 180-600 as well though digital picture doesn’t tend to test them.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2019
The Sony 200-600 is a better lens in terms of resolution, ease of zoom and weather sealing (it has superb sharpness at the long end as reported by opticallimits.com). But, it has one huge drawback: it weighs with the hood and 1.4xTC 2.575kg, which is way too heavy for me for carrying around and hand holding whereas the RF 200-800 at 2.133 kg is just within my capability.
It’s clear that you’ve never used one as weight is but one factor and usability and functionality are equally if not more important. The Sony is optically faster, well balanced, sharp wide open, and the internal zoom is pure with a half a twist as opposed to the Canon periscope which one has to rack 4x. You really need to get out more.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Sigh. I wish I could say that I’m surprised by the level of entitled cluelessness here, but I’m not. Fortunately, some people get that the price gap between the R100 and R50 is huge for a large fraction of the world. At one point, that difference was our household weekly gross income, and we were still better off than much of the world. Now, for us it’s a decent dinner for two not including the wine, but I haven’t forgotten.

People claiming a touchscreen should have been included because they only saved $10 by leaving it out lack an understanding of business. That $10 likely represents a significant fraction of the margin at this price point. The marketing team selected a price target, leadership set a margin, and the design team had to get the cost of goods aligned.

The real question is how well the R100 is selling. I don’t know the answer to that, nor does anyone on this forum. Canon does.

Anecdotally, the R100 + 18-45 kit is the #4 best seller in mirrorless on Amazon US right now. The ‘much better for only a couple hundred more’ R50 is at #10. To paraphrase a character played by Tom Hanks, “Better is as better sells.

Funny how the ‘unanimous’ (n=2) worst product of the year that is ‘insulting to the price-sensitive target audience in the developing world’ seems to be selling quite well even in a first-world country.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Canon releases R100 which is replaced the old dslr.
I am living in Taiwan now.
I found that snapshot machine is using Canon. I saw one near my place ia using R10.
If the company aave the money. They can use r100. They will save many money if they buy over hundred.
I lived in Japan and some machine shows they use Nikon. If Canon releases R100 for those companies. I think canon would know how to deal with them.

And you guys can search. Canon bullet time or Canon bullet time R100.
I think those company will start to use r100 to eeplace their old cameras. If you search Canon bullet time in youtube. Some people needs to use over hundred with kit lens.
This one is an example.

It is so crazy to use many cameras.
It don\'t need use 1d or 5d. Right?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The Sony 200-600 is a better lens in terms of resolution, ease of zoom and weather sealing (it has superb sharpness at the long end as reported by opticallimits.com). But, it has one huge drawback: it weighs with the hood and 1.4xTC 2.575kg, which is way too heavy for me for carrying around and hand holding whereas the RF 200-800 at 2.133 kg is just within my capability.
Agreed. I have purchased the 200-800 mm lens, but from my testing it can be a bit soft wide open at 800 mm. I say sometime because other times it is very sharp. I can address the resolution short comings in post , but I am considering returning the lens for a refund.

• Wow
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
It’s clear that you’ve never used one as weight is but one factor and usability and functionality are equally if not more important. The Sony is optically faster, well balanced, sharp wide open, and the internal zoom is pure with a half a twist as opposed to the Canon periscope which one has to rack 4x.
FYI, @AlanF has previously used the 300/2.8 that is heavier than the Sony 200-600, and the 400/4 DO that’s the same weight.

You really need to get out more.
@AlanF has posted excellent images from all over the world. Funny how you don’t seem to have posted any images, at all. Maybe you just use that big heavy lens as a dumbbell, or to be seen holding something long and heavy. Almost as if you’re overcompensating for something.

Too bad when you changed your username from @armd to @Marphoto, you didn’t change your attitude. You really need to stop posting things that make you look like an ass.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Sigh. I wish I could say that I’m surprised by the level of entitled cluelessness here, but I’m not. Fortunately, some people get that the price gap between the R100 and R50 is huge for a large fraction of the world. At one point, that difference was our household weekly gross income, and we were still better off than much of the world. Now, for us it’s a decent dinner for two not including the wine, but I haven’t forgotten.

People claiming a touchscreen should have been included because they only saved $10 by leaving it out lack an understanding of business. That $10 likely represents a significant fraction of the margin at this price point. The marketing team selected a price target, leadership set a margin, and the design team had to get the cost of goods aligned.

The real question is how well the R100 is selling. I don’t know the answer to that, nor does anyone on this forum. Canon does.

Anecdotally, the R100 + 18-45 kit is the #4 best seller in mirrorless on Amazon US right now. The ‘much better for only a couple hundred more’ R50 is at #10. To paraphrase a character played by Tom Hanks, “Better is as better sells.

Funny how the ‘unanimous’ (n=2) worst product of the year that is ‘insulting to the price-sensitive target audience in the developing world’ seems to be selling quite well even in a first-world country.
Good points and perspective.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012

Contrast seems a touch better on the Sony - as long as you can't see the red fringing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
It’s clear that you’ve never used one as weight is but one factor and usability and functionality are equally if not more important. The Sony is optically faster, well balanced, sharp wide open, and the internal zoom is pure with a half a twist as opposed to the Canon periscope which one has to rack 4x. You really need to get out more.
If you followed the bird threads you'll see I'm one of the most prolific posters as I get out daily. As @neuroanatomist pointed out, I used to use both the 300mm F/2.8 II and the 400mm DO II, both usually with a 2xTC, and I have had enough of hiking and shooting with lenses in the 2.5 kg range. I wrote clearly that the Sony is superior to the Canon 200-800 for ease of zoom as well as other features. I tried one once and if it was lighter, I would have bought one - weight is one factor that can be a deal breaker.

Upvote 0