Best of Canon 2023: #1 RF 200-800 F6.3-9 IS USM

Aug 10, 2021
I often listen to Duane's Youtube presentations. They are ok. He has a particular perspective which he is very clear about.

WildLife Alaska is ok too. I like some the gear he reviews, I particularly liked the article he made about the Smallrig AP-10 travel tripod, which I've now purchased too. It's a good call for a very capable travel tripod. However the suplied ball head is useless and the whole tripod won't ever replace a proper heavy duty tripod fro me.

A lot of you tubers are just some guy or girl who's bought stuff and decides that they want to be an "influencer". It doesn't make them an expert.

Most people who are very successful in photography, generally don't want to share their market / pot of gold with anyone. Unless they are teaching others how to be a better photographer in a specific genre. Then they are using Youtube as a market place to get attention, while promoting their primary business.
Youtube is free and there isn't any business model that will pay you an income unless you use the medium as a mule to promote your business. So apart from videos of cats jumping into or off things...everything else on youtube that is of interest is a some business directly or indirectly selling you stuff while using your interests as clik bait. Even facebook and Instagram have become marketing devices.
I did this for a while as a wedding photograher and found that I only bcame popular with other wedding photographers...and then I just ended up training my own competition for free.
I notice some cat videos on instagram even have advertising now

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That is a rather bold statement.
Unless you are from the poorest country in the world I have my doubts.
Possibly hyperbole, but presumably 'here' means here on the CR forum, i.e. among people with an interest in new Canon gear and spare time to spend discussing it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
3.3 m is very short for 800 mm.
The only reason that the RF 800 f/5.6 MFD is so short is that it is a magnified 400 f/2.8.
Zooms have shorter mfds than primes. 3.3m is a real improvement over 6m for the RF 800/11 but it is 3x the mfd of the 100-500mm, and that extends to it being at 700mm and 1000mm with the 1.4x and 2xTCs.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
That is a rather bold statement.
Unless you are from the poorest country in the world I have my doubts.
As a starving artist, I make approx. $2,000 a month. From that money, I'm paying for supplies and equipment. Digital photography is a blessing in terms of only needing to pay for what could already be sold, but for film and painting supplies I can spend quite a lot (and risk not selling anything).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
As a starving artist, I make approx. $2,000 a month. From that money, I'm paying for supplies and equipment. Digital photography is a blessing in terms of only needing to pay for what could already be sold, but for film and painting supplies I can spend quite a lot (and risk not selling anything).
Keep going Eric! There are people earning 10-100x that who are miserable.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Keep going Eric! There are people earning 10-100x that who are miserable.
Thanks Alan!
I think the problem is many people allow themselves to be pressured from various directions into spending on things that aren't going to do much but increase stress, such as buying a more expensive house or car.
I decided to follow the advice from Mark Twain, "Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
I've been much happier than when I worked at in various positions in bars (which were better than office and retail jobs) with the only caveat some people look down on me for choosing to aquire less money and using it in directions most people can't understand (I think you probably have met people who can't understand even spending money on an RP and R100-400).
Some people do say, "why don't you atleast get a job photographing babies, weddings or used cars?" There's not much freedom there, but I admit it's an option if I decide I need more money.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Alan!
I think the problem is many people allow themselves to be pressured from various directions into spending on things that aren't going to do much but increase stress, such as buying a more expensive house or car.
I decided to follow the advice from Mark Twain, "Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
I've been much happier than when I worked at in various positions in bars (which were better than office and retail jobs) with the only caveat some people look down on me for choosing to aquire less money and using it in directions most people can't understand (I think you probably have met people who can't understand even spending money on an RP and R100-400).
Some people do say, "why don't you atleast get a job photographing babies, weddings or used cars?" There's not much freedom there, but I admit it's an option if I decide I need more money.
"Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
Wonderful advice - among the best you can pass on. Fortunately, I went into the right job and had some luck en route and always felt I was being paid to pursue my hobby.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Zooms have shorter mfds than primes. 3.3m is a real improvement over 6m for the RF 800/11 but it is 3x the mfd of the 100-500mm, and that extends to it being at 700mm and 1000mm with the 1.4x and 2xTCs.
200-800 should have a longer MFD than 100-500.
It is still impressive for what it is.
It can also use extenders just like the 100-500 can.
That would give it more reach at its same MFD.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
"Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
Wonderful advice - among the best you can pass on. Fortunately, I went into the right job and had some luck en route and always felt I was being paid to pursue my hobby.
I thought you wrote somewhere that you taught physics. At least, I remember you studied optical physics. I can imagine it's rewarding to teach because even learning it feels like magic to solve the equations.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
There are people who do not make that in a year.
It is a big world.
I know that, as you specifically quoted, I said "I can almost guarantee I make less money than anyone here" as in Canonrumors.com. Don't try to twist what I said to virtue signal yourself as some kind of hero for the less fortunate.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I thought you wrote somewhere that you taught physics. At least, I remember you studied optical physics. I can imagine it's rewarding to teach because even learning it feels like magic to solve the equations.
Primarily a researcher but I like a modest amount of teaching in my favourite areas where I can explain things I find interesting.

Upvote 0