Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM II mentioned [CR2]

Gone are the days of mint lens investment, where you Canon lenses would actually aquire value as time passed. When i bought my (then new) EF 85mm f1.2 II L for £899 (from an old fashioned local camera shop). Over the next 8 years of ownership, the new price jumped to £1899 and my lens was then worth £1200 on the used market.
During the pandemic you could've made a fortune with used lenses (I know somebody who did...). After three years, I sold my EF 100-400mm mkii for 150 € more than I paid in 2019.

Now, only the RF 24-105mm F4 L still has a sky high price that I could sell it with a profit. I got the lens for 899 €, retail price is now 1.499 € (was even higher) and used copies go for around 1.000 - 1.100 €. I´ve considered selling my copy several times because not happy with the IQ. Imo, the other F4 zooms (14-35mm & 70-200mm) have noticeably better IQ and usually pair them for a trip and just skip the focal length between 36-69mm. I´m still hesitating because I know I'll never get the lens for 899 € again. (I know refurbed Black Friday... but I´m never in the states for thx giving).

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
I would love to see it in a little bit smaller and without that Crazy Focus Breathing that makes it nearly useless for my Video Use.
This could be easily fixed if Canon would just implement focus breathing compensation like Sony did.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
I can't believe Canon would come out with a Mark II version of this lens before they release an L Rf 35mm f/1.2 or 1.4!!!

I will be majorly pissed off, to the point where i'd seriously consider selling all my Canon gear (including my RF 28-70 f2) and change systems!
Good, that'll really show Canon...force them to learn a hard lesson.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I can't believe Canon would come out with a Mark II version of this lens before they release an L Rf 35mm f/1.2 or 1.4!!!

I will be majorly pissed off, to the point where i'd seriously consider selling all my Canon gear (including my RF 28-70 f2) and change systems!
Really? Because of one lens? You already have an excellent f/2 35mm in your 28-70.
Depending on how much gear you'd have to replace, that might be a rash decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Really? Because of one lens? You already have an excellent f/2 35mm in your 28-70.
Depending on how much gear you'd have to replace, that might be a rash decision.
Can someone explain to me why Canon hasn't released a 35mm L lens yet? What is the hold up? it's ridiculous. I don't really need it myself but if they're going to start coming out with Mark II L lenses like the 28-70 f2 (and therefore tanking the resale value of the Mark I) before a 35mm L and 24mm L etc then my faith in Canon and the direction they're going will be gone.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.gmcphotographics.co.uk
Can someone explain to me why Canon hasn't released a 35mm L lens yet? What is the hold up? it's ridiculous. I don't really need it myself but if they're going to start coming out with Mark II L lenses like the 28-70 f2 (and therefore tanking the resale value of the Mark I) before a 35mm L and 24mm L etc then my faith in Canon and the direction they're going will be gone.
This has been discussed verbatim here SO many times. Have you not seen them or or you ignoring those threads?

There isn't much to be improved over the current EF 35mm f1.4 II L. The current lens is as small, light and sharp as can be achieved. The RF lens is likely to be heavier, larger and way more costly than the current EF version. The design is frustratingly likely to emply the same retro focus design...so given the lack of mirror box and the effectively longer distance from the sensor plain to the rear of the mirrorless camera....this lens is going to be longer than the EF version. Pretty much the same size as the EF version with an adapter.

It's been rumoured that there are f1.4 and f1.2 prototypes about, which indicates that Canon themselves are unsure which direction to go. F1.2 will offer a single tangible benefit, an extra 1/3rd of a stop. But it I'll be even larger and more expensive than the RF f1.4 alternative, which is already larger and heavier than the EF mk II version. I suspect when this lens finally lands, there will be a lot of side-graders who will move from the EF mk II version, drop a ton of cash on the RF version and then wonder why they bothered.

One of the sweet features of the EF 35mm f1.4 L (the original) is that it was small, light and didn't stand out in a crowd. Each newer version is getting bigger, heavier and physically longer. It's a bit like the EF 135mm f2.0 L argumant against the RF 135mm f1.8 IS L. Sure the newer lens is better in every metric except that it's nearly as large and heavy as a RF 70-200mm f2.8 LIS. Where as the EF 135mm f2.0 L is a smaller and lighter alternative.

Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 22, 2010
Uk
And the already near perfect EF 35mm f1.4 II L is still available new.

Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 22, 2010
Uk

Yeah...boo hoo...bye...
Actually, does anyone else currently make a 28-70mm f2.0? I think not! Canon are nearly at the point of a mk II version....then there's the 24-105mm f2.8 LIS.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
This has been discussed verbatim here SO many times. Have you not seen them or or you ignoring those threads?

There isn't much to be improved over the current EF 35mm f1.4 II L. The current lens is as small, light and sharp as can be achieved. The RF lens is likely to be heavier, larger and way more costly than the current EF version. The design is frustratingly likely to emply the same retro focus design...so given the lack of mirror box and the effectively longer distance from the sensor plain to the rear of the mirrorless camera....this lens is going to be longer than the EF version. Pretty much the same size as the EF version with an adapter.

It's been rumoured that there are f1.4 and f1.2 prototypes about, which indicates that Canon themselves are unsure which direction to go. F1.2 will offer a single tangible benefit, an extra 1/3rd of a stop. But it I'll be even larger and more expensive than the RF f1.4 alternative, which is already larger and heavier than the EF mk II version. I suspect when this lens finally lands, there will be a lot of side-graders who will move from the EF mk II version, drop a ton of cash on the RF version and then wonder why they bothered.

One of the sweet features of the EF 35mm f1.4 L (the original) is that it was small, light and didn't stand out in a crowd. Each newer version is getting bigger, heavier and physically longer. It's a bit like the EF 135mm f2.0 L argumant against the RF 135mm f1.8 IS L. Sure the newer lens is better in every metric except that it's nearly as large and heavy as a RF 70-200mm f2.8 LIS. Where as the EF 135mm f2.0 L is a smaller and lighter alternative.
Speak for yourself... I am happy to trade size and weight for better image quality. And I do hope for a 1.2 version. I've been loving the 50 and 85 1.2 and hope the 35 will have similar qualities.

You seem to know a lot about the upcoming (I hope!) RF 35 L, maybe CR should hire you? ;)

We do not know how equal or better the new RF 35mm will be compared to the EF 35 1.4L II. We do know that RF fast L primes have seen IQ or other functional aspects improvements compared to their EF equivalents. Of course the improvements have been more significant when compared to older lenses.

And yes the EF 35 1.4L II is great! But at the same time I am not spending money on a still expensive lens made for an obsolete mount. So if Canon wants my money, they will need to announce a RF 35 1.2L. If not I will keep moaning on these threads :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 22, 2010
Uk
Speak for yourself... I am happy to trade size and weight for better image quality. And I do hope for a 1.2 version. I've been loving the 50 and 85 1.2 and hope the 35 will have similar qualities.

You seem to know a lot about the upcoming (I hope!) RF 35 L, maybe CR should hire you? ;)

We do not know how equal or better the new RF 35mm will be compared to the EF 35 1.4L II. We do know that RF fast L primes have seen IQ or other functional aspects improvements compared to their EF equivalents. Of course the improvements have been more significant when compared to older lenses.

And yes the EF 35 1.4L II is great! But at the same time I am not spending money on a still expensive lens made for an obsolete mount. So if Canon wants my money, they will need to announce a RF 35 1.2L. If not I will keep moaning on these threads :ROFLMAO:
Have you seen the MFT chart for the EF 35mm f1.4 II L? There is very little improvement to be made. Like the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8. The RF versions show very marginal (if any) sharpness improvements over the latter EF versions. Just don’t confuse the really old EF lenses with the much sharper later versions.

Upvote 0

That's your answer? You sound like a Canon fanboy. i'm not going to buy a 9 year old EF lens that needs an adapter everytime i want to use it. EF is now an obsolete system!

Last edited:

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Have you seen the MFT chart for the EF 35mm f1.4 II L? There is very little improvement to be made. Like the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8. The RF versions show very marginal (if any) sharpness improvements over the latter EF versions. Just don’t confuse the really old EF lenses with the much sharper later versions.
I guess we will see when (if) that RF 35mm will indeed come out

Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 22, 2010
Uk
That's your answer? You sound like a Canon fanboy. i'm not going to buy a 9 year old EF lens that needs an adapter everytime i want to use it. EF is now an obsolete system!
Fan boy? I'm not the one buying all the new and shiney...just because. Moaning about not having a native RF 35mm L.

• Haha
Upvote 0