Canon EOS R5 Firmware v2.0.0 Released

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It’s the other way around: the R6II and R8 have a newer, more power efficient version of the digic X, which is why they can do higher resolution downsampling for video, for a much longer time on the same battery.
I suspect the ‘auto’ subject detect takes advantage of that as well.
Can you give a link where Canon gives information about the specs of Digic.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Can you give a link where Canon gives information about the specs of Digic.
It was in a podcast, here’s the
post from @Michael Clark that has the link and timestamp to the bit where they mentioned the power efficiency improvements:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Canon should really try to put a bit more effort in Firmware updates.
Things I would've liked to see improved:
- 1/16000 electronic shutter.
- Autofocus tracking algorithm improvements (update to R7 / R6II algorithms)
- Highres mode with RAW output.
- System optimizations for less power drain (Nokia could do it 20 years ago, so can you Canon)
They've done a lot of useful updates with the R mount, more than they typically have done in the past.
Read the post above. You can't just do a firmware update to get a new AF algorithm. A new camera with new processor is needed, hence the R5 II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Guaranteed to cause night terrors in those dreamers who thought Firmware v.2.0.0 would make the R5 into the R5ii. No, boys and girls, they didn't give the R5 the R3, R7, R6ii autofocus. Take a deep breath. Put down the sharp objects. Everything is okay. Your R5 is still an amazing camera -- just not as amazing as click-baiting rumor sites might have promised.
Love it when people know me better then me and have to tell me how I feel about things.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
My guess is that it either didn’t work at all or capped the capacity to 1TB.
So you can buy a huuuuge CFe card and use up to 2TB of it.
incorrect, maximum capacity allowed is a 2TB card, this most likely fixes an issue where larger cards are now available (above 2TB) and they weren't being recognized, so now they will work but still only allow you up to 2TB storage.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And no shutter sound feedback option for Electronic Shutter? Is it impossible? It can beep and play video so there's definitely a speaker.

Silent shooting 20 fps action photography feels awful.
At 30 and 40 fps, the electronic shutter sound on my R3 and R8 is almost a continuous buzz. Personally, I usually use silent mode on my R3.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
I'm under the impression that a significant number of EOS-1 users have not made the migration to the mirrorless R system. They will not accept the EVF, is a common complaint. If this is so, I don't think "machine learning" will do the trick to sway them into the fold. Perhaps a more amazing EVF would entice?
What anyone arguing today is missing with the EVF is ridiculous, the OVF is a dinosaur and absolute garbage to what we have today in the R3, R5 EVF's. Let them stay with 5 focus points in the middle of the screen and focus recompose for all I care. To argue you miss shots or blackout is honestly laughable

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't think updating the animal eye AF algorithms was such a big ask. Considering how random it still is and how poorly it tracks a moving dog even when the eyes and face are easy to detect. I wish they would have improved it just for the sake of completion with what is probably the last firmware update for the R5.
My guess is that they could not fit the new AI models in the R’s NV memory, or the RAM memory available lacks the capacity to run the new models, or the processor is too slow or overheats. They may have tried, hence the version increase, but pulled the major updates after validation failed. Anyway, just guessing.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I'm under the impression that a significant number of EOS-1 users have not made the migration to the mirrorless R system. They will not accept the EVF, is a common complaint. If this is so, I don't think "machine learning" will do the trick to sway them into the fold. Perhaps a more amazing EVF would entice?
The EVF on the R5 is on par with optical for me during day, better than optical in low light. You do have to remember to turn off ECO mode for it and yes it chews the battery more, but damn if it isn't fantastic.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I keep hoping one of these updates would stop my R5 from overheating (even just shooting photos) but no dice :(
what the heck are you shooting at causing overheat? I can take 800 or so pics indoors at a small warm pub (live music) with high bursts and never had it overheat with pure 20 FPS RAW bursts.. mind you, I did get the prograde cobalt card, but it shouldn't overheat!

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Neat to see they continued to support the R5 for this long. Consider me in the yay! camp.

Glad they are addressing the power on lag, seemed to creep into my R5 last firmware upgrade. I was minorly peeved as it seemed the R5 wasn't going to get any more firmware changes. It wasn't end of world, but it was noticeable. Almost seemed to be a lag displaying things, but I think the camera could shoot pics while it took its time to display. I'll upgrade later today and hopefully it will get resolved.

I wasn't expecting anything major since the R5II is around corner and yeah have to motivate customers :) ... had hoped with slightly better AI training on the autofocus.. no real complaints, but there are edge cases where it does get confused.

Upvote 0
What anyone arguing today is missing with the EVF is ridiculous, the OVF is a dinosaur and absolute garbage to what we have today in the R3, R5 EVF's. Let them stay with 5 focus points in the middle of the screen and focus recompose for all I care. To argue you miss shots or blackout is honestly laughable
I'm still using an OVF, mainly for outdoor shooting. In particular snow and alpine scenes in bright light and while wearing dark glasses. How does an EVF go in a situation like this? I tried using a friends Sony a while back and couldn't see a thing. It's the reason I like a top plate screen for camera settings as viewing the back of a camera is hard work in bright light.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The canon R5 allows up to 2TB storage card, my guess is since new cards above 2TB are now available, they most likely weren't being recognized and this now fixes that, yet you are still limited to 2TB storage
Confused. How does R5 allow up to 2 TB cards. I am under the impression that the card determines the storage capacity, not the camera. I must not know something that you do.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I'm still using an OVF, mainly for outdoor shooting. In particular snow and alpine scenes in bright light and while wearing dark glasses. How does an EVF go in a situation like this? I tried using a friends Sony a while back and couldn't see a thing. It's the reason I like a top plate screen for camera settings as viewing the back of a camera is hard work in bright light.
Yes, the situations you mention may work better with OVF, but for most situations EVF is superb.

Upvote 0
Guaranteed to cause night terrors in those dreamers who thought Firmware v.2.0.0 would make the R5 into the R5ii. No, boys and girls, they didn't give the R5 the R3, R7, R6ii autofocus. Take a deep breath. Put down the sharp objects. Everything is okay. Your R5 is still an amazing camera -- just not as amazing as click-baiting rumor sites might have promised.
"Just not as amazing as the version number might suggest." There. Fixed that for you.

Upvote 0