Canon EOS R5 Firmware v2.0.0 Released

Jul 21, 2010
So now it’s ALSO too dumb to know you’ve put a 2TB card back in, if you’ve closed the card slot door with it out? :rolleyes:
That’s been a ‘feature’ of every 2-slot Canon camera so far, so clearly Canon designed it that way intentionally. I presume the intent is to write to whatever card is available by default.

Personally, I save RAW in duplicate to both cards – they can fail, and to me the point of two slots is to mitigate that (if more storage is needed, buy a bigger card). I have two sets of cards for my R3, and when I finish a shoot I just swap them both and format the incoming cards. That has the added benefit of giving me backup copies that last at least until the files transferred to my computer are backed up to my NAS. Point being, after I press the shutter button, I never have fewer than two copies of the image.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
R10 shows the focal length you are at in the bottom right corner
And it's a feature that I am appreciating more than expected! I tend to bump the 100-500L to 460-ish mm more than I want to admit, which greatly reduces the magnification ratio, seeing '468' in the EVF has saved me a few times on my R8.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No complaints from me :coffee:,

Good to see they are addressing minor issues (though I've never noticed anything with my R5s).

The only point of interest is technically it's a minor release and not major, would have been good to hear why they went to Ver 2.0.0 - The theory already discussed above, being the last main release could well be true, given the R5 II is around the corner...

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Canon has released new firmware for the Canon EOS R5, bringing the camera’s software to version 2.0.0. Firmware Version 2.0.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes: Download Firmware v2.0.0 for the EOS R5

See full article...
Just wonder why is it called 2.0 while the changes are relatively minor for most users. for 2.0 I would expect some major chnages like an improved "sensor shift resolution" or AI into the AF ot something alike.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Just wonder why is it called 2.0 while the changes are relatively minor for most users.
Wait, so you’re saying you think that adding compatibility for an accessory costing >$1000 that works with a single lens (so far) while not adding support for another main feature of that one lens doesn’t constitute a major change?!? ;)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Wait, so you’re saying you think that adding compatibility for an accessory costing >$1000 that works with a single lens (so far) while not adding support for another main feature of that one lens doesn’t constitute a major change?!? ;)
So support for the aperture ring will make it 3.0?

Upvote 0
Is anyone experiencing a focus problem after updating to 2.0? I did a shoot last night and discovered that auto focus sometimes didn't show the area that the camera focused on. I haven't had a chance to look at the RAWs but they seem to be in focus. It was weird but the focus square would not jump to the obvious focus point and would stay in one spot. It seemed as if my R5 was focusing properly but not displaying the selected focus point. Eye auto focus seemed to work properly but it was the normal auto focus seemed flaky.

This is my initial impressions and I haven't had a chance to do testing and fully understand what's going on.

• Wow
Upvote 0
To be honest I do not think canons software/firmware department is actually capable of porting functions of different cameras into earlier bodies. Having switched between a few cameras and having experienced the amazingly bad mobile app, I am convinced that canon have a few different software teams that each on their own develop a firmware for a specific camera. And when another camera releases and a feature gets implemented, that seems obvious to the user to be ported back to earlier models, like the auto leveling feature of the R7 to the R5/6 for example, the respective software team looks at the code and is like "oh that's how you guys did this. Well we did the ibis a totally different way and basically fucked ourselves" and just says it's Impossible.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I've never heard of this new aperture ring feature? Do some RF lenses have a control ring plus a separate aperture ring now?
The new 'RF Z' line, with its optional, external PowerZoom adapter, has an electronically controlled aperture ring. The RF24-105 f/2.8L Z is currently the only lens in that series.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Confused. How does R5 allow up to 2 TB cards. I am under the impression that the card determines the storage capacity, not the camera. I must not know something that you do.

If you google the specs of the Canon R5 storage you will se it allows UP TO 2TB cfexpress storage card, this is a fact. The issue was the camera would NOT recognized cards above 2TB and therefore you couldn't even use them, so if you put a 4TB card in there it would not even format. Now it will format the 4TB card but only up to 2TB. Im not sure what you don't understand but that is what you initially asked to be explained.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
If you google the specs of the Canon R5 storage you will se it allows UP TO 2TB cfexpress storage card, this is a fact. The issue was the camera would NOT recognized cards above 2TB and therefore you couldn't even use them, so if you put a 4TB card in there it would not even format. Now it will format the 4TB card but only up to 2TB. Im not sure what you don't understand but that is what you initially asked to be explained.
Understood

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
My guess is that they are not implementing improvements in eyeAF for the simple reason that they don't want to - it will be an added feature to make the R5ii seem more of an upgrade. I find the AF fine anyway, but I don't photo dogs.
Doggie-eye will be in version 3.0 about 8 months after the release of the R5 II. No point in ticking off folks who can't or don't want to make the upgrade, but there is definitely a percentage in giving them the "opportunity" to upgrade before making the old one too attractive. EDIT: The subether alien detecting AF feature will be released for the R5II at the same time.

Upvote 0
Is anyone experiencing a focus problem after updating to 2.0? I did a shoot last night and discovered that auto focus sometimes didn't show the area that the camera focused on. I haven't had a chance to look at the RAWs but they seem to be in focus. It was weird but the focus square would not jump to the obvious focus point and would stay in one spot. It seemed as if my R5 was focusing properly but not displaying the selected focus point. Eye auto focus seemed to work properly but it was the normal auto focus seemed flaky.

This is my initial impressions and I haven't had a chance to do testing and fully understand what's going on.
Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated.

Upvote 0

TwoWheeler

Pointlessly lugs heavy expensive gear around.
Nov 9, 2023
That’s been a ‘feature’ of every 2-slot Canon camera so far, so clearly Canon designed it that way intentionally. I presume the intent is to write to whatever card is available by default.
Yeah, I was under the impression that was the case with my wife’s R7 too - wasn’t sure about the rest. It took me quite a while to figure out why my pictures kept ending up on the SD card.

I get the idea that, were I to do something stupid and, say, leave the card in the reader and go to shoot, the camera has covered my backside and switched to Slot 2 for me. But it seems to me it also would be nice for it to switch back to what I had it set to if I put an CFX card back in - particularly on a camera with mismatched cards like the R5. Were they both CFX, it kind of wouldn’t matter.

Upvote 0