Canon officially announces the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press Release:
MELVILLE, NY, May 8, 2019 – Continuing the company’s commitment to providing photographers with core focal-length lenses for the EOS R Full-Frame mirrorless camera system, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the RF 85mm F1.2 L USM standard prime lens. The fifth lens in the RF family, the RF 85mm lens provides another vital tool for photographers using the EOS R or EOS RP cameras, in particular, those shooting portrait photography.
Preorder: Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM $2699

“Optics is at the core of Canon’s heritage. It is engrained in our DNA and the top priority when developing the EOS R Camera System around the RF mount and accompanying lenses,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “Canon is very enthused to now bring the lenses we shared in the RF lens development announcement, starting with the RF 85mm F1.2 L USM. We envision this product...

Continue reading...

First time I recall them bragging about the “blue goo” since the 35 II.

I wonder if their lens design-to-build process is so long that only now is the materials technology making its way into products; which in some ways would be the optimistic interpretation, as it would suggest a lot more blue goo coming. And if it has anything to do with the 35’s sharpness, that’s a very good thing.

(Hopefully it’s not the reason for the extra $500, though ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
$2699 is a high starting price. Higher than I would have expected. Very out of line with the RP price.
It's surely soon that Canon announce a higher end camera that would pair more effectively with buyers who would spend $2699 on a lens. The RP and R are good cameras but I think when you are charging +$2000 for lens you need a high end camera to go with it if you want buyers. It will be interesting. I wonder if it was always Canon's intended strategy or are they behind on their camera masterplan. It's not that it won't work well on the RP or R but consumers in that price range are less likely to purchase a $2699 lens than someone who'd fork out $5000 on a 1DR without blinking. I'll hold onto my EF 85 mm 1.2 for another while - its still a brilliant if flawed lens

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It is so blatantly obvious why the Pro model will be coming later. It simply requires more development work and it also generates less sales.

It also makes sense that an 85/1.2 is going to cost quite a bit more than a 50/1.2 lens. They are obviously planning to make some profit on these and it is up to the customers if they are going to shell out the cash or not or choose something else, there are three other 85mm primes just in Canon's EF range alone. Prices will inevitably start to drop after a while.

Upvote 0
the 85 1.2 version 2 was launched at 2199$ in 2006 which, adjusted for inflation, means 2797$
just saying..

That is actually a pretty smart check. I find it's smart to do it with with new car prices as well (I follow a lot of auto websites).

It's an interesting strategy for Canon. Get all the pro lenses out there before any pro body, so when the pro body comes out, there will be a full lineup of lenses (I'm pulling for decent 1.8 IS models myself...). It's a tough chicken/egg debate. We'll see if this pays off for Canon in the long run.

Upvote 0
...The RP and R are good cameras but I think when you are charging +$2000 for lens you need a high end camera to go with it if you want buyers. It will be interesting. I wonder if it was always Canon's intended strategy or are they behind on their camera masterplan. It's not that it won't work well on the RP or R but consumers in that price range are less likely to purchase a $2699 lens than someone who'd fork out $5000 on a 1DR without blinking...

From the many interviews Canon has given, it feels like they intended to have a very optically impressive lens lineup so that when they did come out with the pro version, there would be a full lens lineup. I'm a part timer myself, so I'm rooting for the more lower/midrange 1.4 to 1.8 IS models. Those would also make more sense with the current camera bodies, I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0