Search results

1. mackguyver

Some Minor Canon Lens Announcement Clarification

I haven't been on here in a while, but I was checking out new posts and about fell out of my chair laughing when I read your post ;D Perhaps they'll release your mythical 50mm with a DC motor AF...
  2. mackguyver

Comparison: Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art vs Zeiss Milvus 135mm f/2

I like Nino's work, but lost all respect for FStoppers recently with their ridiculous left-slanting articles like this drivel: Pepsi Created the Worst Advertisement I've Ever Seen, but I lost all respect for them when they acted like the crappy Manfrotto RC2 system, which most of us have used...
  3. mackguyver

Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi Adapter DISABLES Tethering

Ha ha, you guys assume that I read the manual ;) I am pretty happy with it, otherwise, and with the Canon app, the previews are pretty quick. The DSLRController takes quite a while, though, but has so many other features.
  4. mackguyver

I'm sure that there's probably a logical reason given that they have hacked the camera to do something it wasn't originally designed to do, but: CANON SHOULD HAVE DOCUMENTED IT!!! Yes, I'm shouting on the Internet :) The word "USB" isn't even in the manual, which I just downloaded, but...
  5. mackguyver

As a public service announcement, I have learned that the Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi Adapter disables tethering via USB. Canon EOS Utility, Lightroom, Android DSLRController via USB OTG, etc. are all disabled as long as the W-E1 is in the camera. I found this out after stupidly thinking it was Windows...
  6. mackguyver

Show us your Hooters (Owls)

I haven't been to this thread in a while - what amazing shots by everyone! Just seeing an owl, letting alone getting a half-decent shot is pretty remarkable, so I'm really impressed with all of these great photos.
  7. mackguyver

Sigma Announces the 135mm DG HSM Art Series Lens

Re: I'm sure this will be a great lens, but... That's half the reason I still use my 1D X for most handheld stuff like portraits. 1/focal length just doesn't cut it without IS. I am really hoping the Canon 135 f/2 IS rumor comes to fruition, and was disappointed to see OS missing on this one.
  8. mackguyver

Four New Sigma Lenses Leak Ahead of CP+

? Four new Sigma lenses have leaked out ahead of CP+ Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art (wow, we were wrong!) Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Art Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary
  9. mackguyver

10 great things about the upcoming 5D Mark V

I can promise you one thing. The 5DV will be hugely disappointing to the fanboys at launch, but about 3-6 months later, those same people will buy one, use one, and then talk about how it's the greatest camera ever :o ;D
  10. mackguyver

Thanks for the information and the link and I'm a happy Canon 100-400 II owner...
  11. mackguyver

Patent: Canon EF 135 f/2L w/Apodization Filters

I saw that, too, and that's a steep price to pay for the soft bokeh. In Sony's case, you have sensor+lens stabilization, plus nice clean high ISO, but still...
  12. mackguyver

LOL, you can't reason with an idiot, which is what he is. A self-appointed photo "expert" trading on his number of followers. The other day he said that Canon refuses to even repair gray-market gear or sell parts to repair shops. As for the new lenses, they all seem intriguing...and I...
  13. mackguyver

Sigma 85mm Art outscores the 85mm Otus (...on a D800E)

They have given away older versions of their software like this over the years but this is the first time they've given away DxO Optics Pro, I believe. Usually it's the FilmPack.
  14. mackguyver

FoCal – Long / Fast Lens Calibration

No, it seems to work just the same as my own targets have. I will say that the biggest key in using FoCal for me has been the light level on the target. The brighter, the better it seems.
  15. mackguyver

The... horrible suspicion

It's something I work in as well, and the simplest way to explain it is that you're targeting 99.99966% of whatever you make or do to be within specifications (i.e. not defective). That's 3.4 defects per million lenses (or bank transactions, email transmissions, etc.). The key is in have...
  16. mackguyver

Sigma 85mm Art outscores the 85mm Otus (...on a D800E)

Canon's mount is supposed to allow larger apertures than Nikon's, which is why we have f/1.2 lenses in production, and they only have an older lens that fast. 3rd party lenses for different mounts are not identical of course, so that, combined with the microlenses and other things on the sensor...
  17. mackguyver

TDP now reviewing the A7R II

I hate to say anything critical of him, because of what great stuff he's done over the years, but it seems like 90% of his "posts" are simply about deals (i.e. affiliate links) or links to Lenrentals or other people's work. I'm thinking he has sort of run out of Canon stuff to review after all...
  18. mackguyver

Review: Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi Adapter

My unit just shipped from B&H today so I guess a new shipment finally hit the US. It's been a long wait and I hope it's worth it...
  19. mackguyver

I bought it, too, expecting it to be a fair amount better than one I had printed and mounted to Gator Board. It wasn't. It's still a nice target and the plastic backing is easier to deal with, but if anyone is thinking about buying one and has at least a decent printer (laser or inkjet), I...
  20. mackguyver

Re: FoCal – Long / Fast Lens Calibration That's unfortunate to hear as I have had really good luck with it, particularly with the f/1.2 lenses. Speaking of which, it does seems to take CA into account, which is great for the 50L & 85L, but it does so at the expense of peak sharpness (&...