Search results

1. Ladislav

Is Bowens still in business? Any alternative to XMT500?

I'm considering buying my first flesh heads and I'm very interested in battery powered Bowens XMT500 Twin head kit. But I wonder if this is the right choice. Even though Bowens seems to be UK company, their products are sold only by Wex and they are constantly "awaiting stock". So are they so...
  2. Ladislav

Write through cache for Windows 10

Just to point out. I know about Smart previews and they are my backup option or something to use together with cache. My big problem with smart previews is that they lock me to Lightroom only workflow when I'm not connected to NAS/DAS, they are not that useful for fine spot removal and they are...
  3. Ladislav

HP Spectre x360

Does anyone have experience with using HP Spectre x360 for photo processing? Even as the main computer? I had a chance playing with a 13" top spec model (but FHD screen) and I really liked it. I especially liked option to convert it to tablet and use stylus - that was kind of selling point for...
  4. Ladislav

Write through cache for Windows 10

My use case: I have quite large collection of photos (2TB+) in single Lightroom catalog. I don't access many of those photos but still want to have search capability over their metadata. I usually access only few last collections. My HW: I'm considering going laptop only and using NAS or DAS as...
  5. Ladislav

Why has Canon omitted 24p 4K recording in their new cameras such as the EOS M6 Mark II, EOS 90D and EOS RP?

Does it meant that 90D, M6 Mk2 and RP don't support H264 encoding at all? Because if they do, Canon already has to pay those royalties anyway so I don't see it as a valid reason.
  6. Ladislav

Canon working on another f/2 zoom lens for the RF mount [CR1]

Except that they are both pickup trucks. You buy them for the same purpose - to have a job done and here, the bigger truck (f/2) can carry higher load than the cheaper truck (f/2.8).
  7. Ladislav

A Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM is on the way [CR2]

I wish this could massively drop a price of second hand Mk.II lenses. Right now price on used marked for mint (visual) condition is somewhere 20-25% cheaper than new. It defends purpose of buying second hand when it is generally the same price like buying grey market.
  8. Ladislav

Canon working on another f/2 zoom lens for the RF mount [CR1]

The only reason why I really want to see f/2 holy trinity is hope that it will somehow push down prices of f/2.8 holy trinity.
  9. Ladislav

Your favourite motorsports events

Thank you Graham. I will need to figure out the plan. I didn't plan to sleep over anywhere nearby since it is already too late to book. If I go multi day, it is quite long drive for me every day but it is very tempting. That was a reason why I was considering Thursday and Saturday to avoid...
  10. Ladislav

Your favourite motorsports events

I noticed Goodwood mentioned few times in this thread. I would like to visit Goodwood Festival of Speed. It is 4 day event running from Thursday to Sunday. Does anyone has any experience with going on Thursday or Friday? Is there less people with full program or is it better to go over weekend...
  11. Ladislav

Adobe testing a new price point for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan

A lot of people here argument with moving to Capture One from Lightroom. It also cost $20/month and cheapest perpetual license is $299. No surprise that Adobe wants to get the same if people are willing to give it to competitor :unsure: And before you start arguing that you own perpetual...
  12. Ladislav

Adobe testing a new price point for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan

I don't use the cloud storage and I don't want that cloud storage for sure. I already have 1TB for 5 users with Office 365 Home for about £8 per month. Raising cost by £10 to give me 1TB I'm not going to use is proper rip off. Plus, I trust MS to secure it and provide better tooling much more...
  13. Ladislav

The RF mount “Holy Trinity” should be ready to ship before the end of July 2019 [CR2]

My small math exercise (in GBP): Cost of R ~ 2k Estimated cost of new trinity ~ 7k Estimated value of old 5D IV ~1.5k Estimated value of old trinity (Mk.III and 24-70Mk. II) ~ 4k I don't doubt that R with new trinity will be great. But will it be £3.5k greater than existing setup? Considering...
  14. Ladislav

Big Canon EOS R price drop, save up to $500 and still get the EF-RF adapter for free

Btw. unless it is permanent, it is not a price drop. It is just a campaign.
  15. Ladislav

Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM coming May 9, 2019

85/1.4 IS is already a very good lens and it can be bought for less than £1100 in UK. It also works on both EF and RF mount for those who own both DSLR and MILC. While this new lens will for sure be awesome, it will be also expensive but how much better it will be? DS version is at least...
  16. Ladislav

Big Canon EOS R price drop, save up to $500 and still get the EF-RF adapter for free

Just shows how overpriced they are if they can do $500 rebate. You can be pretty sure that Canon still makes solid money even after the rebate.
  17. Ladislav

New mid-level DSLR and EOS M5 Mark II the next ILC’s from Canon? [CR1]

Mid-level does not sound like anything to replace 7DII. They can merge different product lines but what defines 7DII is its capability to capture action in various weather conditions. That means AF, fps and build (weather sealing and joystick). If they compromise on anything from these, they are...
  18. Ladislav

The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

I disagree. You are considering only theoretical properties, not construction limitations. Possibility of noise is defined by Signal-To-Noise ratio (SNR). SNR affects readout of the pixel. Larger pixels generally have better SNR than smaller ones. That's why FF camera with can achieve higher...
  19. Ladislav

No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

I played with EOS R at The Photography Show in UK. I was very impressed. It feels great in hand, viewfinder is superb and speed of selecting focus point is faster then joystick on 5D4! It would be very nice replacement of my 6D - 2 card slots and servo focus capability are not a big deal since...
  20. Ladislav

No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

I don't know. I tried MILC from all manufacturers on The Photography Show in Birmigham (UK) and Olympus was the biggest disappointment. I tried EM1X and its viewfinder was by far the worst from all the options. You could say immediately that you are looking on display. I was very impressed with...