Search results

1. L

Canon EOS M3 Coming to North America? [CR2]

Same here. Would have been nice to have an EOS M on my trip to Mexico last month. 6D in the heat and humidity felt like toting a brick. Missed a lot of photo opportunities to shoot because I just didn't want to carry the 6D. Something like the Fuji XT-1, SONY A7II or even the Powershot GX3...
  2. L

To Soft Grad or To Hard Grad - that is the question...

I would think you would want to have both hard edge and soft edge. Hard edge where you have a cleary defined level horizon, otherwise you might use a soft edge.
  3. L

Lee Big Stopper vs. Formatt Firecrest?!?!?

Couple of things I've mentioned in other threads concerning the Big Stopper: The LEE Little Stopper is neutral the Big Stopper is not. To offset some of the blue cast when using the LEE Big Stopper requires that you set your in-camera White Balance to 10,000K. Otherwise, you'll have to adjust...
  4. L

EOS 6D Mark II To Shrink & Move Upmarket [CR2]

It's an alternative to Wi-Fi. NFC allows short-range communication between two NFC devices, e.g. your camera and a smartphone. Samsung and SONY use NFC technology and some android devices as well. NFC would establish the connectivity between the devices when touched or within 4 cm's of each...
  5. L

Chicago

Be advised -- parking can get very, very expensive: http://chicago.bestparking.com That includes areas around the parks. museums, etc., so plan accordingly. Ditto what SPL says about Adler Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium. Walking along Lake Michigan Shoreline near either will give you a...
  6. L

Chicago

I'm originally from Chicago. I'd say the area around the Chicago Loop; Grant Park; Buckingham fountain; Millennium Park, Art Institute; near North Side starting from Grant Park, heading north towards Lincoln Park and the zoo continuing along Michigan Ave. and Lake Shore Drive. You may also...
  7. L

Help me spec out a new iMac

I’m with Mt. Spokane. I realize that for some, once you decide to commit to a particular platform, there’s no turning back. But it seems Apple takes advantage of that mindset and you pay the dues for owning one. The design, and functionality make for some very desirable (and tempting)...
  8. L

[Solved] Lenses for a 3-5 day hike

Re: Lenses for a 3-5 day hike Something else to consider: Do monitor weather reports and conditions between now and your trip. Weather in mountain regions have a tendency to change rapidly and it is not uncommon to snow even in summer months. My Yosemite trip is a testament to that. It...
  9. L

[Solved] Lenses for a 3-5 day hike

Re: Lenses for a 3-5 day hike Consider renting the 16-35 f4. Amazing lens. I rented one from LensRentals and used it last month in Yosemite. Also, ND filters if you can swing it. Screw-on will be cheaper. I've read good things about Haida ND's...
  10. L

More Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR1]

If this thread continues any longer, we'll need popcorn and maybe pizza and beer
  11. L

Is this of Any value?

This video was not produced by Lynda.com
  12. L

Lee Filters Actively Working on EF 11-24mm f4L Solution

Yeah, lot of restructuring has occurred no doubt but at one time Lee International did own Panavision.
  13. L

Lee Filters Actively Working on EF 11-24mm f4L Solution

Uh, I'm not suppose to say anything but I believe I've seen a prototype for the EF 11-24 at a LEE Filters workshop this past weekend. ;) ;) So-ooo, you didn't here it from me. Looks like the SW150 system was designed with cine lenses (Panavision) in mind. Makes sense since LEE filters...
  14. L

More Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR1]

I see nothing compelling to want to upgrade from my current 6D. I just attended a workshop in Yosemite this past weekend and of the 11 people there, only two of us were Canon shooters and both shooting the 6D. The other 6D shooter is seriously considering selling his 6D and moving to the Nikon...
  15. L

ND Filters and Long Exposure: Calculate or Automate (Part Deux)

So, it appears that less than 30% (28.5%) of those responding to this survey use an automated means such as a phone app to calculate a long exposure. The vast majority 71.5% of respondents use some other method, e.g. quick reference table, manually calculate exposure or perhaps some...
  16. L

Gotcha -- I downloaded NDTimer last night. Not sure if I like it. The interface is different than what you may come across online e.g. Scott Kelby, but it functions pretty much the same. The version available for download now is more recent than the one I've seen Kelby use. You dial in your...
  17. L

CR Admin - Please Read

Si Senor -- at the moment anyway. Could be a network glitch :) -- who knows UPDATE: I'm now accessing CR from my laptop via Wifi. Same OS, Same browser. No issues
  18. L

CR Admin - Please Read

Ah! -- I'm seeing it now from my work computer. Windows 7 Professional SP1 -- Not running IE. Chrome Version 42.0.2311.90 m
  19. L

It's an 8 week class and it meets twice before the trip. The first class meeting was last week, the next will be on April 24. Listening to the introductions the students were giving, I got the impression that photographiy skill level is all over the board. A lot of students didn't know what a...
  20. L

CR Admin - Please Read

Not quite -- It's not that simple. its a function of the in-house software development standards under which those programmers can write code. It also needs the blessing of your Information Security Officer. Whatever software is being developed has to conform to the standard within a...