More Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR1]

Jul 21, 2010
NorbR said:
neuroanatomist said:
Of course, that's going to eat up batteries, so you'll need extras...and when will you charge them, especially if the room power goes off when you take your keycard out of the slot by the door....

Ah, but what if the room has two keycard slots ... ?

Clearly, it would be a hotel room designed for professionals. ;D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
NorbR said:
neuroanatomist said:
Of course, that's going to eat up batteries, so you'll need extras...and when will you charge them, especially if the room power goes off when you take your keycard out of the slot by the door....

Ah, but what if the room has two keycard slots ... ?

Clearly, it would be a hotel room designed for professionals. ;D
It's true!

I have stayed in rooms that had 2 keycard slots! One on the door for the internal corridor, one on the external door.

Upvote 0

Chris Jankowski

6DII + various lenses, 200D + 15-85
Jul 27, 2013
This thread seems to be fixated on dual card slots, better weather sealing and other ways to make 6DII more "professional". I would like to change tack a little bit.

I actually would love the model to go in the opposite direction. No, I do not mean "unprofessional". I mean smaller and lighter to become a brilliant FF travelling DSLR for an amateur or a backup body for a professional.

The rationale is simple. If I have a great lens and a great large sensor I can take great photos. No compromises in the imaging. Other things do help, but are secondary, except for a good pentaprism viewer and perhaps a better AF. The lens creates an image, the sensor captures it and I can compose it through a good viewfinder.

It would be quite feasible to lighten the body to no more than 500g battery and card included. Electronics is getting denser and uses less power.

So, looking at it differently the camera would be like SL1/D100, but with a FF sensor and would need to have a pentaprism and not a pentamirror. SL1/D100 weighs about 400g. I used to have a film era Minolta SLR that weighed 415g. 500 g should be achievable. I do not want to lug around a 900g body on a week long trek.

This camera would not be a best tool for work in a tropical downpour in a jungle, shooting a soccer match or for a whole day shoot of a wedding. But for travel - perfect.

Perhaps, such camera would need to called 8D and not 6D, but I think that there is a place for it in the Canon FF model lineup. Small and light entry level FF DSLR.

By the way, from an amateur point of view, it is much better to invest in good lenses instead of investing in high-end bodies. Better use a cheap body and replace it every 3 years or so. DSLR bodies lose value very quickly. On the other hand good lenses keep their value reasonably well.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Chris Jankowski said:
I actually would love the model to go in the opposite direction. No, I do not mean "unprofessional". I mean smaller and lighter to become a brilliant FF travelling DSLR for an amateur or a backup body for a professional.
This camera would not be a best tool for work in a tropical downpour in a jungle, shooting a soccer match or for a whole day shoot of a wedding. But for travel - perfect.

Perhaps, such camera would need to called 8D and not 6D, but I think that there is a place for it in the Canon FF model lineup. Small and light entry level FF DSLR.
100% with you.

Such a body would be tempting for me. Last fall I bought the 100D/SL1 and I like to take something that small - still ergonomic enough - with me. Maybe a little bit too much tempting ;)

Upvote 0
K said:
privatebydesign said:
neuroanatomist said:
By the way, how many card slots does the $2500 full frame Sony a7S have? How many card slots does the $2700 full frame Nikon Df have? How many card slots does the $6400 full frame Leica M have?

The $45,000 Hasselblad H5D 200c has a single CF card slot too, that makes that an amateur camera by some peoples reckoning!

By Canon's reckoning it would be amateur. It is they who treat it as a pro-only feature. But really, Canon says nothing about pro vs amateur. It is simply their way to push people up to higher end bodies. Canon isn't content bringing that type of satisfaction to people with a less than $3,500 budget (for FF).

The HD5 is intended to be used tethered to a computer within a studio. CF card is there so that the camera is not useless without a tether. Serious medium format is done on very steady tripods or mounts - tethered. So, bad example on that.

They now sell the 5D3 for $2499 (or as low as $2200), so there's no need to pay $3,500 for FF dual card slots.

Watch video of Annie Leibovitz shooting Hasselblad handheld, untethered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb2Z80DXDf0

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
zlatko said:
They now sell the 5D3 for $2499 (or as low as $2200), so there's no need to pay $3,500 for FF dual card slots.

Only for now.

Until they discontinue the 5D3 when the 5D4 comes out. Then it's back to paying $3,500 for dual card slot in FF from Canon.

Now, if Canon keeps production of the 5D3 going and makes it the $1,800 - $2,000 medium range FF option. That would be great. At least buyers will not have to bust out another $1,500 just to secure their photos. Too bad though that to have this feature, one has to settle for a 2012 era sensor when the rest of the market pushes forward.

With some recent posts in this thread asking the opposite, that the 6D become more enthusiast and less "pro" ...

Ideally, Canon ought to offer another FF camera. A true budget FF around $1,500 that can be completely neutered, stripped down and almost useless except for the sensor to make certain people happy - then a $2,000 - $2,200 prosumer FF that has dual card slots.

Still, I hold to my belief that for the money - the dual slot should be a given. It shouldn't be in play. Even at $1,500.

However, Canon doesn't seem interested in competing in the mid-range / low end FF market and is instead expanding the lines of high end pro DSLR.

In the other thread I started titled "where is Canon headed" some said that Canon sees DSLR sales strength in the pro range for the future.

I can't help but think that is not the whole story. I don't doubt their pro sales are strong - but I truly believe their pro body sales are only strong because it is Canon's lenses that are driving those sales. Pros willing to spend a lot of money, want to be in the Canon system for the glass. That is why I'm in the Canon system. That and the ergonomics.

It certainly isn't because Canon is generous with basic features or has a cutting edge sensor.

Value in bodies is with Nikon. Which is why I've said a few times before - if Nikon gets their act together and updates some of their key lenses, and better yet - moves forward and innovates some new lenses to compete with Canon, I think there will be a sizable exodus away from Canon.

On the flipside, Canon can completely seal off any defections and bring more people into their system by offering a little more value in their bodies. Not asking for the world. A dual slot is quite important to many out there. Especially those entering pro-level photography or first time FF buyers getting serious about photography.

Based on the rumors and some of the actual photos out there, Canon is addressing the lag in sensor technology. Add the dual slot as a standard feature (like seatbelts in a car!) and no one has any reason to leave Canon or consider Nikon.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
K said:
Ideally, Canon ought to offer another FF camera. A true budget FF around $1,500 that can be completely neutered, stripped down and almost useless except for the sensor to make certain people happy...

The will, the 6DII about 6 months after launch.

K said:
A dual slot is quite important to many out there me.

There, I fixed that for you. If it is truly 'quite important' to a majority of entry level FF buyers, we'll see it in the 6DII.

Upvote 0
K said:
zlatko said:

Only for now.

Until they discontinue the 5D3 when the 5D4 comes out. Then it's back to paying $3,500 for dual card slot in FF from Canon.

Now, if Canon keeps production of the 5D3 going and makes it the $1,800 - $2,000 medium range FF option. That would be great. At least buyers will not have to bust out another $1,500 just to secure their photos. Too bad though that to have this feature, one has to settle for a 2012 era sensor when the rest of the market pushes forward.

With some recent posts in this thread asking the opposite, that the 6D become more enthusiast and less "pro" ...

Ideally, Canon ought to offer another FF camera. A true budget FF around $1,500 that can be completely neutered, stripped down and almost useless except for the sensor to make certain people happy - then a $2,000 - $2,200 prosumer FF that has dual card slots.

Still, I hold to my belief that for the money - the dual slot should be a given. It shouldn't be in play. Even at $1,500.

However, Canon doesn't seem interested in competing in the mid-range / low end FF market and is instead expanding the lines of high end pro DSLR.

In the other thread I started titled "where is Canon headed" some said that Canon sees DSLR sales strength in the pro range for the future.

I can't help but think that is not the whole story. I don't doubt their pro sales are strong - but I truly believe their pro body sales are only strong because it is Canon's lenses that are driving those sales. Pros willing to spend a lot of money, want to be in the Canon system for the glass. That is why I'm in the Canon system. That and the ergonomics.

It certainly isn't because Canon is generous with basic features or has a cutting edge sensor.

Value in bodies is with Nikon. Which is why I've said a few times before - if Nikon gets their act together and updates some of their key lenses, and better yet - moves forward and innovates some new lenses to compete with Canon, I think there will be a sizable exodus away from Canon.

On the flipside, Canon can completely seal off any defections and bring more people into their system by offering a little more value in their bodies. Not asking for the world. A dual slot is quite important to many out there. Especially those entering pro-level photography or first time FF buyers getting serious about photography.

Based on the rumors and some of the actual photos out there, Canon is addressing the lag in sensor technology. Add the dual slot as a standard feature (like seatbelts in a car!) and no one has any reason to leave Canon or consider Nikon.

Hey K! I've followed this thread for quite a while already. Dual card slot is of course a nice feature for the data redundancy. But if you like 6D so much and the only problem is the dual card slot, you could overcome this with Wifi. With the Remote EOS the images from the camera could be mirrored on an other device with Wifi, like a phone, tablet, laptop, whatever. This method would have one big advantage, as the data would be stored at two different places. So even if the camera would be stolen or completely destroyed, you would have all your data recovered. Instead two cards don't have such an option. Especially for the travels I would estimate a likelihood of the theft even higher than the failure of memory card. So going only with dual card slot isn't 100 % safe.
I don't want to advocate for Canon's decision about one card slot in 6D, they could definitely do it for few bucks. I just want to say, if I would have some shortage in the otherwise great camera, I would try to overcome this shortage with all methods I have, especially if the result is even more effective.

Upvote 0
K said:
zlatko said:

Only for now.

With your glass-is-half-empty outlook, you'll never be happy with Canon. They're not "generous" and not "interested in competing in the mid-range/low end FF market" (6D hello?). One has to "settle" for a 2012 era sensor. Sure, the 5D3 is going for as low as $2200 — meeting your dual-card requirements — "for now". And there have even been recent Canon Price Watch emails with the 5D3 at $1,999. But why be happy about that when you can complain that dual cards will be $3,500 in the next model to come out whenever that is?

Never mind that pros have been using Canon to create wonderful books, ads, portraits, documentaries, wedding photography, etc., for years and years, with sensors that were even older. But you obviously need the latest and you need it at your specific happy price. And Canon just won't deliver. Annie Leibovitz "settled" for one card slot in her Hasselblad. Sebastiao Salgado settled for a less than cutting edge sensor in his Canon (and managed to produce Genesis). Perhaps their work is not "pro-level photography"?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
zlatko said:
Perhaps their work is not "pro-level photography"?

Obviously. If those wannabes want to be real pros, they need two card slots in their cameras. Where have you been, we clearly established that fact by about the 5th page in this thread. ::)

Maybe they're wannabe photographers who don't know what they need. Or maybe they just can't afford a pro camera and have to settle for whatever they can get. ;)

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
Chris Jankowski said:

100% with you.

Such a body would be tempting for me. Last fall I bought the 100D/SL1 and I like to take something that small - still ergonomic enough - with me. Maybe a little bit too much tempting ;)

The 6D really needs to either be a compact higher end camera or a true full frame Rebel. I would love to have the smallest and lightest full frame camera Canon could possibly produce, much like the old days when full frame film cameras were very compact.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
lilmsmaggie said:
If this thread continues any longer, we'll need popcorn and maybe pizza and beer

homer_simpson_iphone_wallpaper_by_fouad_z-d343d9u.jpg

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
Chris Jankowski said:

100% with you.

Considering that Nikon has split the D610 and D750 line, I can totally see this happening, and would be 100% in favor of it. Too bad there are no more numbers between 7D and 5D. Maybe this is an 8D we're brainstorming here?

6D mk2: dual SD card slots, decent weather sealing and AF, basically a 5D mk3 with ~$1K knocked off the price with as few compromises as they need to make in order to justify the difference.

8D: smaller, lighter, more affordable 6D. Heck, put a next gen 1DX sensor in it with clean ISO bazillion, do 4K video, and attack the Sony A7S market!

I dunno. It should happen, it could happen, but it probably will not, at least not this generation.

Sorry for beating the dead horse, but I thought this was a turn for the positive for this thread...
=Matt=

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
lilmsmaggie said:
If this thread continues any longer, we'll need popcorn and maybe pizza and beer

homer_simpson_iphone_wallpaper_by_fouad_z-d343d9u.jpg
I run out of beer, so I am well into my single malts. If this continues, I won´t get up tomorrow ... Heck I´m off to Dubai tomorrow ... ... ... Ok, just one more ...

;D ;D

Safe travels...

Upvote 0