Search results

1. Andy_Hodapp

Best affordable graduated neutral density kit?

I've been thinking about getting a set of graduated neutral density filters for a long time but can't get myself to pull the trigger. There seems to be a lot of kits you can get for around $50 or you can buy individual much higher quality filters and holders. I'm looking to spend around $100...
  2. Andy_Hodapp

Extreme macro question

So I've been using my 5d mkii and sigma 105mm macro for macro photographs but recently, I've found myself wanting to go beyond 1:1. I know there are many ways to go above 1:1 and I would like a little help on deciding how to do it. Should I go with extension tubes on my sigma? Should I...
  3. Andy_Hodapp

Ghost Town Bar Portraits

Went to a bar last night where they had some fiddlers playing in the middle of nowhere Montana, I think they turned out really well. All shot on a Canon 5d Mkii with a Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro.
  4. Andy_Hodapp

Canon S100 underwater questions

Just ordered an underwater case for my Canon s100, it's a cheap Ebay case and I know, I know, I probably should have ordered some $400 case for a camera that itself is only worth $100. I really just want to experiment with underwater photography and thought that this would be a good way to...
  5. Andy_Hodapp

First Concert Shoot

My high school had a student run electronic music concert last weekend. My friend who was one of the musicians playing at it really wanted me to photograph it. Brought my Canon 5d mkii, 50mm 1.8 ii, yongnuo yn560ii and a tripod. Manually focused for a lot of the photos because autofocus...
  6. Andy_Hodapp

First time Track and Field

Didn't have enough practices to run in our teams first meet so I brought my camera, 5d mkii and 200mm F/2.8 II. Never been much into sports photography but everyone wanted some photographs of themselves in action. Here are my favorites out of the some 400 shots I took today.
  7. Andy_Hodapp

Brenizer Method First Try

Thought I would try today the brenizer method aka bokeh panorama. Asked my friend to help me with it, by modeling. The photo itself isn't really anything special but I know I'll need this technique down the line for clients looking for extremely large portrait prints. 24 shots on a Canon 5D...
  8. Andy_Hodapp

Changing over to Arca Swiss HELP!!!

I've been using a Dolica ZX600B300 tripod for the last year and have gotten into doing a lot of panoramas. While the ball head and legs are great for panos when shooting the camera horizontally, having the camera vertical with my 200mm 2.8 makes it feel like it could tip over. I would like to...
  9. Andy_Hodapp

Pentax Q and EF adapter for use as a SUPER telephoto

With all the talk about the Tamron 150-600mm, I've been looking for a cheaper way to get it super telephoto nature photography. I'm moving to Montana in a matter of months and I will be living close to Yellowstone. I've already gone out and photographed the landscape but I have no real way of...
  10. Andy_Hodapp

Helios 44M-4 and 5D MKii

Just got myself a Helios 44M-4 at a thrift shop, came with a Zenit 11 but I just bought the camera for the lens. I know these lenses are supposed to have beautiful bokeh but I've also heard some will hit the mirror of full frame cameras. I shoot with a 5D MKII and I just ordered a this adapter...
  11. Andy_Hodapp

First time photographing a skateboarder, need feedback

A local magazine that I often shoot for asked me to photograph this kid who skateboarded. I'm not very big into sports photography and was looking for some critiquing of my work. I was shooting with a Canon 5D MKII and a 17-40mm and 50mm 1.8. I tried to get as close to the guy as possible...
  12. Andy_Hodapp

Keep Canon 17-40mm F/4 Vs. Tokina 16-28 F/2.8 Vs. 16-35mm F/2.8

During the summer, my career as a photographer blossomed. I'm seventeen years old, shot two magazine covers, sold some very large (over six feet) prints, had one of my photos go viral and photographed a wedding. In all I earned a couple of grand but most of that I would like to put into...
  13. Andy_Hodapp

Best lens for capturing the Milky Way?

Over the summer I am going to move to Montana, this is great because it means I am only a couple miles away for beautiful locations with almost no light pollution. I have gotten pretty interested in star photography and I really want to capture the Milky Way. I shoot with a Canon 5D MKII and I...
  14. Andy_Hodapp

Trip to the zoo with the S100

Here are some shots I got with my S100 last summer at the St. Louis Zoo
  15. Andy_Hodapp

Need help with choosing a telephoto for $800 and under

I recently upgraded from a Canon T1i to a Canon 5D MKII and have sold my longer lenses, my 75-300mm f4-5.6 III, which was a terrible lens, and a 28-135mm IS USM. The only sort of telephoto lens I have right now is a Sigma 105mm macro. I have a budget of about $800 US and I am not sure what...
  16. Andy_Hodapp

Sigma 105mm F/2.8 Macro EX DG Review

The Sigma 105mm F/2.8 Macro EX DG is one of the best deals I have ever come across in my short time in photography. I think that the 90-180mm range of macro lenses are some of the most versatile lenses. They are usable for a lot more then just macro, they can do great portraits, wildlife...
  17. Andy_Hodapp

Best Third Party BG-E6 Battery Grip For Canon 5D MkII?

I recently got a Canon 5D MKII, I just sent it back to Amazon to get a new one because of the price difference now. For some reason, when I called to see if I could get $270 off my purchase, they said send your camera in and order a new one, we will refund you the $1,799. I told them it would...
  18. Andy_Hodapp

Format Exporting From Lightroom

I shoot RAW and edit in post, I sometimes make prints but I am going to start making a lot more, I have always exported my files as JPEGS, should I be exporting them as TIF files instead? Memory does not really matter to me, I just need the highest quality.
  19. Andy_Hodapp

Post Your Self Portraits Here

While most self portraits or selfies are stupid photos of girls with there lips stuck out like a duck and there backs hunched over, I would like to see what Canon Rumors can do with a camera in there hands and themselves as the subject. I just got a Yongnuo YN-560 II and a Cowboy Studio...
  20. Andy_Hodapp

Trip to Montana, Landscapes

Went to Montana for a couple of weeks, had some great views and thought I should share. Shot with a Canon T1i and a 50mm 1.8 II or 17-40mm F/4L. I got a Neewer 52mm ND fader and feel in love with it, did not remove all that much sharpness and was only five dollars, also used a Dolica AX620...