Search results

1. S

1D X Product Advisory

Thanks, Random Orbits. Shawn L.
  2. S

1D X Product Advisory

Okay, this may be a stupid question, but when sending your camera in for service, do you include the battery? Thanks. Shawn L.
  3. S

1D X Product Advisory

Thanks, StoneySnapper =) Shawn L.
  4. S

1D X Product Advisory

Forgive my ignorance if this is obvious to others, when you send in your camera how do you pack it? Original box? Other? Bubble wrap? UPS? Etc... Just curious as the hold up for me on sending mine in is knowing exactly how to ship it safely. Cheers =) Shawn L.
  5. S

1D X White Balance Bug NOW WITH SAMPLES...

That does seem to nix the whole conversion process idea. Other ideas: Do you have either "Auto Lighting Optimizer" (3rd from bottom on second red menu) or "Highlight tone priority" (bottom item on second red menu) on? What about "Spot Metering linked to AF pt" (2nd to last item on the first...
  6. S

1D X White Balance Bug NOW WITH SAMPLES...

Some "off the top of my head thoughts" that might help -- though I make no promises =) RAW files are 14 bit, JPG are 8 bit; that means some form of conversion is done when the JPG files are written out in the camera from the RAW data on the sensor since you like the skin tones in JPG, but not...
  7. S

Tele for backpacking

Another thought would be the 28-300 L. I've rented that for a couple of trips and been pretty satisfied: http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/canon-28-300mm-f3.5-5.6l-is Shawn L.
  8. S

Beautiful sunsets

Here's a panorama made from several 70 mm shots (70-200 mm II L, 1/200 sec, ISO-125, f/2.8) Shawn L.
  9. S

Single point auto focus

+1 Shawn L.
  10. S

Zoo Pics 2

Here's one taken yesterday (12/30) at the Oakland zoo, (200 mm, f/3.2, 1/250 sec, 100 ISO):
  11. S

anger at 1 dx review on professional photographer magazine

+1 Happy Holidays! Shawn L.
  12. S

For those using Lightroom... what are your settings

What I end up doing is based on what's in the photos. For instance, I process files from a trip to the zoo different than photos from an ice show. Anyhow... If I don't like the overall color or tone of the image, I'll play with WB and/or camera calibration. I'll note that "adobe standard"...
  13. S

Stop Using Instagram

I thought this was an interesting quote about Facebook and its ilk: If You're Not Paying For It, You Become The Product More info here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/marketshare/2012/03/05/if-youre-not-paying-for-it-you-become-the-product/ Shawn L.
  14. S

1D X AF in Low Light action

Drizzt321: I do have the software and I will check it out (probably won't find the time until next weekend, though). To Studio1930's point, I've never had an issue with my 70-200 II in low light -- even inside an ice rink. Kind of sad to see the issue with the 24-70 II. Though, I will say that...
  15. S

I'd say low 60s (F) Here's the photo in question for those interested. Note that the focus is supposed to be on the chin, according to DPP. http://home.comcast.net/~sal6/BY5R7623.CR2 (Hoping that upload worked, Comcast has been having FTP issues as of late.) Shawn L.
  16. S

Though, examining the photos in question again, I see that many of the really sharp ones were also taken in landscape orientation using focus points in the center three "tall" columns. Many of the soft ones were taken with points outside this region. One of the really soft ones shot in...
  17. S

To the OP, do you happen to know how charged the 1DX's battery was? I ask because of something I'm seeing. I bought a 24-70 II and have had somewhat mixed results with it. I've taken some really sharp photos and some (with the similar settings in similar conditions) where the focus point (as...
  18. S

PSA: Lexar Pro USB 3.0 card reader has firmware update

Thanks for the heads up :) Shawn L.
  19. S

1DX "Caution 02" Warnings AND Filthy Sensor.

FWIW, my 1DX's sensor needed to be cleaned right out of the box (four or five spots). There's still some particles either on my focus screen or within the viewfinder chamber (doesn't affect image, but shows up in viewfinder). You'd hope for nearly $7000 they'd at least clean the things before...
  20. S

Best D-SLR's

Yep. Someone made the same note in the comments section. Here was the reply: Possibly, but we haven't reviewed a Canon 1D X as yet. The piece will update seasonally as and when we've seen more products. Shawn L.