Search results

1. J

Used Canon Gear no longer for sale at LensRentals.com?

It appears that Lensrentals.com is transitioning their used gear for sale to Lensauthority.com. I asked Lensrentals.com about this and received an e-mail saying that they were transferring their used gear slowly to lensauthority.com. This disappoints me, as I have bought a few used items from...
  2. J

Sandisk QC lacking?

I have always relied on Sandisk SD cards. Other brands have let me down in not living up to the rated speeds. I have about a dozen Sandisk SD and CF cards. However, my last two Sandisk SD cards (one an Extreme 32GB and the other an Extreme Pro 32GB) have both been DOA. Neither the camera nor...
  3. J

Audio on 5D Mark III - noisy in-camera pre-amp?

It seems that the 5D3's pre-amp can be quite noisy, at least when combined with my Beachtek DSA-XLR pre-amp. So, I sat down to try to see how to get the best results. Here's a video I made of my tests. https://vimeo.com/47819373 The solution seems to be to set the 5D3's pre-amp as low as...
  4. J

Does Zeiss glass ever go on sale?

I don't think I've ever paid the "normal" retail price for Canon glass, as it seems like they run rebates or sales a few times per year - and I rarely need to purchase a lens under a deadline. I'm looking to buy a new Zeiss lens, but haven't seen them go "on sale" (e.g., rebates, etc.), but...
  5. J

Video Resolution Comparison: 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D800

A colleague lent me his new Nikon D800, so I shot video of my resolution chart with it to compare to my (okay, my wife's) 5D Mark III. https://vimeo.com/46242792 My take is that there are some aspects of the D800 video PQ that make it appear sharper, but on closer inspection, its true...
  6. J

Sharpening 5D Mk III - red problem and solution

It is well known that video from the 5D3 benefits from sharpening. However, I was noticing some rather unattractive artifacts when sharpening shots with red in them. The red would pixelate or "ring" at the borders with other colors. The solution I've found (that others might already know about)...