Does Zeiss glass ever go on sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've ever paid the "normal" retail price for Canon glass, as it seems like they run rebates or sales a few times per year - and I rarely need to purchase a lens under a deadline.

I'm looking to buy a new Zeiss lens, but haven't seen them go "on sale" (e.g., rebates, etc.), but haven't been watching prices too long. Has anyone ever seen Zeiss glass go on sale?

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
Maybe when pigs fly but I've never seen Zeiss on sale. However, you can buy used and I've had good luck with four Zeiss lenses that are like new. Zeiss, as you probably know, is built like a tank so they retain their value and condition if cared for properly.
If you know what you want, you can seek out sellers from Craigslist or Ebay. I've rented the lenses I thought I might want first from LensRentals or 'that other guy' which helped in my purchasing decisions.
If you choose to buy new, check Amazon and B&H. I would stay away from Adorama....never a good experience there, horrible.....
If you really miss your autofocus, there is a company that converts your manual Zeiss to AF, but its a bit pricey.
Best of luck. Let us know what you find out there.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
Maybe when pigs fly but I've never seen Zeiss on sale. However, you can buy used and I've had good luck with four Zeiss lenses that are like new. Zeiss, as you probably know, is built like a tank so they retain their value and condition if cared for properly.
If you know what you want, you can seek out sellers from Craigslist or Ebay. I've rented the lenses I thought I might want first from LensRentals or 'that other guy' which helped in my purchasing decisions.
If you choose to buy new, check Amazon and B&H. I would stay away from Adorama....never a good experience there, horrible.....
I've bought from Adorama many times over the last 30 years, never a problem. They almost always get the new models out to buyers first. Amazon is really slow to get new DSLR models in stock, and has cancelled my order for one after I was waiting for two months. I buy a lot from Amazon, but I never pre-order a new DSLR model, its a formula for disappointment.
B&H recently got in trouble with Canon for some unknown reason, and had their initial deliveries of recent models delayed, and their allotments cut. Supposedly, thats been patched up.

If you really miss your autofocus, there is a company that converts your manual Zeiss to AF, but its a bit pricey.
Can you tell us who does that? Conrus converts Contax N lenses (which were made by Zeiss) into EF compatible AF lenses, but the Contax N lenses were already autofocus, not manual.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
Jason I looked on Craiglist in Atlanta (where I had lots of success with Canon glass) for months before I bit the bullet and bought a few ZE's new. In about 6 months all I ever saw was maybe 1 50mm f/1.4 and a set of CP.2's for $12k. They just don't come up for sale very often. Granted they haven't been available very long and people seem to really like them, which I think has something to do with the scarcity.

In terms of being on sale new, no I've never seen that, no rebates or anything, ever. Lensrentals.com has very reasonable used prices but some of their stuff gets pretty worn, but that's about as cheap as they get. I love the Zeiss stuff, requires so much less color correction it's not even funny. The 50mm f/1.4 is great (and cheapest, although it doesn't do very well below f/2) to get started and I'd also recommend the 35mm f/2, both stellar lenses and cheaper of the bunch. Honestly the 50mm f/1.4 is as sharp as my 50L and costs much less. The 21mm, 50 f/2 and 100 f/2 are amazing, the 21mm is one of the most awesome WA's I've ever used. The only one I wasn't that impressed with compared to the Canon equivalent was the 85mm f/1.4, then again the 85L II is a pretty incredible lens and costs almost $1k more.

If you want to try them out Aperturent.com is off Roswell road and has very, very reasonable rates. They don't have the complete set, but they do have the 21, 28, 35, 50(1.4), and 85. They also have the 35, 50 and 85 CP.2's (but they are about $180/week per lens). The ZE's are essentially identical optically to the CP.2's (CP.2's have more iris blades for more circular bokeh) just minus the whole cinema housing/aperture ring.

A lot of people suggest buying the ZF.2's with the EF adapter so you can have manual iris control, plus there are companies that will de-click them so you can make smooth iris changes. Good luck finding some either way!

Upvote 0
MARKOE PHOTOE said:

I was sorry to see this; can you tell me more about the issues? You can email me directly: [email protected]

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
I would stay away from Adorama....never a good experience there, horrible.....

I've never heard that, in my experience Adorama has always been on par with B&H in terms of service. And it looks like a rep just reached out to you for feedback in a random thread on an internet forum, that's pretty good customer service in my book.

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Mt Spokane Photography said:
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
I've bought from Adorama many times over the last 30 years, never a problem. They almost always get the new models out to buyers first. Amazon is really slow to get new DSLR models in stock, and has cancelled my order for one after I was waiting for two months. I buy a lot from Amazon, but I never pre-order a new DSLR model, its a formula for disappointment.
B&H recently got in trouble with Canon for some unknown reason, and had their initial deliveries of recent models delayed, and their allotments cut. Supposedly, thats been patched up.

Can you tell us who does that? Conrus converts Contax N lenses (which were made by Zeiss) into EF compatible AF lenses, but the Contax N lenses were already autofocus, not manual.

Mt. Spokane; you're absolutely correct, I meant Contax and not Zeiss, though they are very similar and yes the Contax lens you mention is AF by design. Thanks for pointing that out. :-[

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll probably go for a used Zeiss. I have the 85mm 1.4 and it is built like a tank. From a reputable dealer, I suspect that a used lens will work quite well for my purposes. I shot video with a Zeiss 50mm 1.4 on a 5D Mk III recently and fell in love with the lens. I had been satisfied (not exactly happy) with the Canon 50mm 1.4. But there is just something about the Zeiss that feels good and looks good. I have the Canon 24mm 1.4L II that is beautiful for photos, but I don't love it for video. I hope I haven't just developed a Zeiss fetish. :-\

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

You're welcome. Every Zeiss I have purchased has been used and its been perfect for my use. I have purchased three Zeiss lenses through Craigslist and one from Ebay. Ebay has fees and you can't try a lens before purchase. CL has its share of risks but I've lucky.

Best of Luck

Upvote 0
MARKOE PHOTOE said:

Serious? I've pretty much bought all my stuff from them. They usually have better prices and better kits/combos than B&H too. Personally I love Amazon, but when it comes to camera stuff, I don't use them.

Upvote 0
No, I have never seen Zeiss on sale. You just buy it and love it. The serious glass does not disappoint.

With all the rebates, I wonder if that depresses the used market.

I do want to note that LensRentals does sell New Zeiss. I like using them because they KNOW how to pack. I suppose its because they like getting their gear back without damage - and new is packed just as good. I bought my ZE 21 through them. I would have bought the ZE 100 through them as well except I needed BML this go-around to have for the fall season. They probably get my next ZE order.

Upvote 0
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
You're welcome. Every Zeiss I have purchased has been used and its been perfect for my use. I have purchased three Zeiss lenses through Craigslist and one from Ebay. Ebay has fees and you can't try a lens before purchase. CL has its share of risks but I've lucky.

Best of Luck

Have you emailed helen from Adorama? Really bad form to name and shame someone without giving them opportunity to deal with it. Hopefully you've just neglected to say that you have given Helen a chance to deal with it.

Upvote 0
Helen Oster said:
I was sorry to see this; can you tell me more about the issues? You can email me directly: [email protected]

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Helen was great when I had an issue with Adobe recently, after I bought the Adobe software through Adorama.

I can't say enough about how much I appreciate her help!

I have used other stores from time to time, but I appreciaite and always try to reward good customer service.

Since her help in June, I have spent about $8K with them - a Canon T4i kit with 18-135, a Canon 5D3 kit with 24-105, a Pixma Pro printer, etc.

Thank you Helen!

Best,
Michael Murphy

Upvote 0
unadog said:
FWIW, I am just in the process of trading some equipment to get a Zeiss ZE 35 mm 2.0

I am not sure if I can afford to keep it yet - I need to pay that $8K bill to my credit card! :p

I also have an older Zeiss 28 2.8 I think, with a C/Y adapter. You can PM or e-mail if you are interested. You are in Atlanta? I am in Michigan.

Best,
Michael

The ZE 35 2.0 is great. Have 1 myself

Upvote 0
itsnotmeyouknow said:
The ZE 35 2.0 is great. Have 1 myself

That is good to hear! I wasn't looking for it. Someone offered to trade for some film equipment I am selling. I thought about it for 3 minutes and said "OK" - no research, etc.! ;D

I am too old & stupid for manual anything for the most part. But I am doing video with the T4i (which I love by the way) & 5D3, so I thought I would give it a try!

I have never been big on alternate lenses because I had 7 Canon L lenses. The color is often so different on the Zeiss, Leica, etc. that I just stuck with Canon.

Oddly enough, I was just trying to sell off down too 3-4 lenses, now I am going the other way. Time to play with the Zeiss though - maybe I will pick up a 50 or 85 to have more of a set.

Thanks!

Michael

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.