Search results

1. luciolepri

5d mark III external monitor, problems?

SmallHD 702 Bright is the best 3rd party on-camera monitor I've worked with so far. It's very bright, it has a lot of video assist tools, LUTs support and for pulling focus I consider FullHD monitors a huge step forward compared to HD monitors.
  2. luciolepri

Canon EOS new Picture Style

Hi there, after one year of on-field testing, I decided to share a custom made picture style that I consider a little improvement over the classic Technicolor's Cinestyle. It has about 1/3 of a stop less "reach" in the shadows, but it delivers higher midtone contrast (that I find very helpful...
  3. luciolepri

Canon EOS 80D filmmaker-oriented review (& 5D MKIII comparison)

Hi there! I just wrote this review: www.luciolepri.it/nwp/canon_eos_80d_review.htm I was curious to check the new sensor performances and to see if this camera could be a good second body for shooting events. I was mostly attracted by the Movie Servo AF feature. Unfortunately, video noise, as...
  4. luciolepri

5D MKIII RAW Video (web series pilot episode)

Thank you for watching, Cgdillan!
  5. luciolepri

5D MKIII H264 vs RAW vs RAW 3X Crop from Macro 1:1

Thank you for your advice, Cgdillan. I don't use Resolve, but I can give your workflow a try. Usually, I import the DNG to Camera Raw, apply the color correction/grading, export a 14 bit PSD sequence and import everything in Premiere for the video export. But as soon as I convert the PSD into an...
  6. luciolepri

Thank you all for the comments! I didn't have time to run anymore crop mode tests yet, so nothing new. But I'm still using ML to shoot video raw and it's just great. I'm just struggling to find a way to keep the original raw quality once turning the stills into video with Premiere. It looks like...
  7. luciolepri

5D MKIII RAW Video (web series pilot episode)

I know it doesn't look impressive, but it is, if you think that the young boy close-up is 150% zoomed in (to help the VFX) and heavily color graded! https://vimeo.com/91358512 BTW, this is a pilote episode of a web series that is also an online short film competition with very interesting...
  8. luciolepri

Title says everything... I'm definitely amazed by the potential of using the crop mode shooting macro: https://vimeo.com/96759229
  9. luciolepri

Sigma 24-105 f/4 DG OS Outed?

I'm not interested in this lens, so I don't care much about this rumor. My only hope is that putting a little focusing ring at the bottom of the lens and a big zoom ring at the top, like in the Tamron 24-70/2.8 and in these pictures of the Sigma 24-105, won't become the new trend... I can't find...
  10. luciolepri

6d WORSE than 60d for moire/aliasing?

Yes, you record 1:1 from the sensor, so no line-skipping and so no aliasing issues, but... 1- With such a high crop, you convert a wide angle lens into a tele. This could be good to reduce your equipment, but it also means that you can forget about wide angle shots. 2- You see 5x, but you record...
  11. luciolepri

Faulty CF card? Advice needed...

Just did it... it gives you picture of what kind of company you're dealing with. At least, I bought the card through Amazon, to get a refund should be painful. I attempted a recovery with a couple of softwares I have, but it was not helpful and I soon gave up, I prefer to use this time to get...
  12. luciolepri

Actually I didn't. Which software would you suggest?
  13. luciolepri

Gateway lens

My first camera was my father's Pentax MX with a Takumar 28-80, a Pentax M 50/1,7 and a Pentax M 200/4. It was already the AF era, so old manual lenses were relatively cheap in the second hand market. I loved wide angles and I found a mint Pentax K 15/3.5 for a crazy low price. It was a first...
  14. luciolepri

Yes, I guess I had to learn it the hard way... Now I just hope I'll still be able to get a nice editing. After a fast look at the footage, I think I will, but it will definitely cost me more, in terms of time and headaches, than what I tried to save buiyng that @#?!* card. The fact is just...
  15. luciolepri

Yeah... [guiltily] I didn't mention it on purpose... [slighty emphatic] In my defence, I have to say I read so many good reviews about this cards... [emphatic] and I even used them for a couple of short movies, without experiencing any issue... [very emphatic] I just wanted to believe that...
  16. luciolepri

I just bought a new CF to use it with a 5D MKIII. As usual, I ran some tests to be sure everything was OK, I shot H264/RAW video untill the card was full, checked the footage, everything was fine. Yesterday, I used this card for a "Trash the dress" and when I came home 30% of the footage was...
  17. luciolepri

Review - Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD with Pictures

Obviously, all lenses stabilizers need a bit of time to star working, but the VC of the lens I tried took way too long. That's the other reason why I guess VC has something wrong in that sample. Anyway, they already gave me another sample, I hope I'll be able to run some tests in the next few...
  18. luciolepri

Prediction for next round of DSLR cameras

You mean the one that came out with the EOS 5? I liked it...
  19. luciolepri

Everyone is a photographer

In may experience, most of the time, during the "crucial" moments of a wedding, photo/videographers take the best spot to shoot from and it's very rare that a guest could interfere (the most brave do, but it's rare). In the other situations, it's usually quite easy, even for a videographer, to...
  20. luciolepri

6d WORSE than 60d for moire/aliasing?

I'd just like to add that many people shoot video using the standard picture style, which has a high nasty sharpening. Using the "Neutral" profile, with which sharpening is set to "0", things are already much better. And for video, sharpness is good enough this way, with a 6D. Obviously, this...