Search results

1. Keith_Reeder

Dynamic range testing of the Canon EOS R3 is complete

Despite your assertions, Bill, you've never proven it. Unless your Fourier analyses are the only way, and are proven to be 100% accurate in every possible scenario, you're speculating based on the results you see. You've pretty much admitted to that in this very thread.
  2. Keith_Reeder

Yep - even when there's no actual cooking of the files in the first place.
  3. Keith_Reeder

Meh... DBounce is making a perfectly valid - if arguably poorly articulated - point. The phrase "noise reduction", as it pertains to photography, has a very specific and unambiguous popular meaning, and Canon sensors do not apply noise reduction in that sense. Even Bill Claff's own page...
  4. Keith_Reeder

IBIS is likely coming to the EOS M lineup [CR2]

I'm firmly in the "I don't really care what Canon does next" camp. What's the point of worrying about it and wasting your life away second-guessing them? My current cameras never let me down; Their files respond really well to conversion in my Raw converter of choice; I don't subscribe to the...
  5. Keith_Reeder

Armando Ferreira: Testing out the NEW Canon EOS R5 in a real world production environment.

Or just stick one of these on the back? https://tilta.com/2020/07/tiltaing-camera-cage-for-canon-r5/ (No idea how effective it is, but the point is that solutions are already emerging, and something will work...)
  6. Keith_Reeder

Whats the possibility or likely hood of either a cinema upgrade to the R5 or a cinema version with cooling.

Naaahhh.. In the cold, the battery will go flat too quickly. You'll be telling us next that sensible users should take appropriate mitigation measures, like taking extra batteries...
  7. Keith_Reeder

Armando Ferreira: Testing out the NEW Canon EOS R5 in a real world production environment.

That's the point though, isn't it? Because that's not what it's for. But if you insist on such folly - here: https://tilta.com/2020/07/tiltaing-camera-cage-for-canon-r5/
  8. Keith_Reeder

Industry News: AP Photographers will only shoot with Sony gear going forward

Thanks. I just balk at the notion that AP's choice of camera brand is suddenly something of significance and importance, when as far as I can tell it hasn't been of any real concern to anyone (apart from AP's own photographers, presumably), up to this point. "It matters because it's Sony..."...
  9. Keith_Reeder

Tilta announced R5/6 cage with removable fan

Cool. Would seem to be the appropriate response...
  10. Keith_Reeder

Gerald Undone says R5 4K video is line skipping and not binned

Brilliant! That and the built-in hand-warmer - it sounds like my perfect camera..!
  11. Keith_Reeder

Understood They unquestionably will. Photo journalism - and the equipment decisions that news agencies make - are not significant influencers across the photography market at large. Simply put, many (most?) people will pay no mind to what AP has done here. To make this point clear: do you...
  12. Keith_Reeder

Cinema5D reviews R6 (video capabilities only)

Of defying the laws of physics? Don't build your hopes up.
  13. Keith_Reeder

Pfffttt... You'll be telling me next that buying the next shiny, gimmicky new camera doesn't automatically, instantly, make me a much more talented photographer..! :cool:
  14. Keith_Reeder

So skipping means a lower SNR and potential aliasing - thanks for that. My follow-up question is: in a Real World context, is this bad, or just not as good, compared to binning? I can see that there will be situations where - if it line-skips - the R5 might struggle in poor light (which also...
  15. Keith_Reeder

IBIS is likely coming to the EOS M lineup [CR2]

Yep. There's no question that the M6 Mk II can be a serious little camera in the right circumstances - I'm very impressed by its sensor, and it has some properly useful performance tricks up its sleeve which belie its outwardly modest appearance - and I did indeed buy mine with the thought that...
  16. Keith_Reeder

I have no idea what you're saying here.
  17. Keith_Reeder

DPReview Post R5 and R6 in comparison tool

Me too - I was around during the Great Nikon D200 Sensor Banding Wars, and the famous Battle Of The Canon 7D, and this isn't like any "sensor banding" they ever manifested. In fact, at 300% view (100 ISO again), it's definitely moire: Moire is easily dealt with. And it's the price you pay for...
  18. Keith_Reeder

DPReview Post R5 and R6 in comparison tool

Whatever it is, it's there at 100 ISO upwards. So it's not a high ISO noise artefact.