Gerald Undone says R5 4K video is line skipping and not binned

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England

Pretty disappointing if true as this is the only mode without overheating
Back to this.

I'm not remotely knowledgeable about this stuff, but I have an obsessively enquiring mind and an enthusiasm for research, and I can't find anything online to suggest that skipping is anything other than another legitimate way of doing things, with advantages and disadvantages cf. binning.

This DPR thread goes into detail about the pros and cons, and the consensus seems to be that "different" does not equal "worse":
So - what's the problem with skipping, exactly? Is it really just a relative tendency towards moire?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Back to this.

I'm not remotely knowledgeable about this stuff, but I have an obsessively enquiring mind and an enthusiasm for research, and I can't find anything online to suggest that skipping is anything other than another legitimate way of doing things, with advantages and disadvantages cf. binning.

This DPR thread goes into detail about the pros and cons, and the consensus seems to be that "different" does not equal "worse":
So - what's the problem with skipping, exactly? Is it really just a relative tendency towards moire?
I saw this the other day. Maybe sheds some light on the question.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Therein lies the problem. Folks want the R5 to perform as well as the C300 at a fraction of the price and body size. That's a totally unrealistic expectation.
Yeah could not agree more, I have to stop watching videos on the C300 III because I am pretty sure my wife will kill me if I order it right after dropping 6k CDN on the R5.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
I saw this the other day. Maybe sheds some light on the question.
So skipping means a lower SNR and potential aliasing - thanks for that.

My follow-up question is: in a Real World context, is this bad, or just not as good, compared to binning?

I can see that there will be situations where - if it line-skips - the R5 might struggle in poor light (which also implies that it won't be a particular issue otherwise, yes?), but I have to say that the aliasing "issue" struck me as someone doing the video equivalent of pixel-peeping, looking for something that wouldn't manifest as a problem in reality.

I'm just asking because a trawl around the net looking at the results of ' "R5" "line skipping" ' sees most people talking about skipping and binning in similar terms. with one not being significantly preferred over the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
....looking for something that wouldn't manifest as a problem in reality.

Isn't that what virtually all this stuff is nowadays? I mean back when Canon did lack DR and Sony batteries lasted half an hour, and Nikon were coming out with what everybody wanted, a stills camera with no video bull----, the DF that was one of their huge flops along with the 1 series (V1, J1 etc), back then we did actually have stuff to talk about.

Meanwhile I see professional shooters I greatly admire turning out high end corporate work with 20mp (Larry Chen), I see the highest end portrait shooters with 5D III era sensors in the 5DS shooting portraits of world leaders that stack up against any camera system (Gregory Heisler) and on and on, it makes my visits here seem like looking into a nursery to see how hyperactive the children are.

How about this as an idea? A 12 month moratorium on buying any new camera gear, put that money and effort into learning, courses, getting a certification (highly recommend the RPS), travel (don't forget people who are not from where you are would happily travel to your home area to see stuff) etc, I guarantee it will do more for your photography than a new camera body.

Nah, sorry, that will never work, my apologies. Carry On!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Pfffttt... You'll be telling me next that buying the next shiny, gimmicky new camera doesn't automatically, instantly, make me a much more talented photographer..!

:cool:
The next innovation is the”Autopoint Function” that automatically points the camera at great compositions, sets exposure, and fires off a few frames. Now that will make us talented photographers. R5 MkII

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
The next innovation is the”Autopoint Function” that automatically points the camera at great compositions, sets exposure, and fires off a few frames. Now that will make us talented photographers. R5 MkII
Brilliant! That and the built-in hand-warmer - it sounds like my perfect camera..!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0