Search results

1. Luds34

Two New Lenses Coming From Canon Next Week [CR3]

Same here, non-IS f/2.8 version and I'm very happy with it. However at times IS would be useful (i.e. indoors). Buuuuut, high ISO is so good these days that I should just hang tight. I don't shoot with the 70-200 THAT much. :)
  2. Luds34

Clean and tune. How often?

Haha, across the pond us Yanks have that saying as well! ;) Cheers!
  3. Luds34

Advice request: 20mm options

That is too bad you didn't like it. I love my little 20mm Voigtlander. It is just so compact It's hard not to toss it in the bag. I know it gets just murdered for it's softness in the corners, but in real world usage I've been more than happy with this lens. Something about it's rendering I...
  4. Luds34

I've got into a bit of a rut - Help!

Take a trip? Travel? Something with a focus on photography first? Whether it be a big week long trip, just a long weekend, or even a day trip somewhere. Just break out of your day to day routine and bring the camera with you. I don't know where you are, but I'm in northern US and January is a...
  5. Luds34

Canon Sends Invitation to Dealers for Major Mirrorless Presentation Next Month

The exclusive invite does seem to point to something big (aka FF mirrorless). However the M6 body is odd. But then again, it could just be part of the game and we should not read too much into it. Aka, the M6 with the sensor cut out could just simply be read "Mirrorless with New sensor". If it...
  6. Luds34

New EF-M Prime Likely Coming Ahead of CP+ [CR2]

My guess is a 35mm f/2 lens.
  7. Luds34

If you're going to buy a new PC, wait - or buy AMD (big Intel bug found)

Haha, yes I saw that. In fairness though, it appears to be some pretty old AMD chips, like Athlon 64 X2 and such, pre Ryzon, FX, Phenom, etc. With photography equpiment being as expensive as it is, I somehow doubt folks on here are using computer chips from 10+ years ago (amateur or pro) to post...
  8. Luds34

I don't believe that is true. All the patches we are seeing are for Meltdown (which affects Intel, but not AMD. Sceptre is much more difficult to deal with). The fix/workaround is to segment the kernel memory, which is leading to the performance hit for system calls. I believe the code changes...
  9. Luds34

Agreed, an attacker needs to get their software/exploit running on the system. In general embedded devices are no more vulnerable today then they were a week ago before this made news as they are typically locked down and don't allow the user to access the underlying system/OS. AND keep in mind...
  10. Luds34

6d mark II with 430ex III

Thanks. I guess I should have gotten a 5D4. ;) I have reviewed both manuals and kind find nothing on the expected behavior with the camera set to auto ISO. It's not the end of the world. It was just one last setting to keep track of as I attach, detach the speedlite. I do have C1 setup for my...
  11. Luds34

6d mark II with 430ex III

Okay, I apologize for the dumb question, but I know this is the place to get an answer. I have a 6D2 and just recently paired with it with a 430ex III for the "run and gun" bounce of the (white) ceiling shooting for family events with E-TTL. I'm use to being able to attach a speedlite (6D...
  12. Luds34

EF-S 15-85 vs. 18-55 kit lens. A quick and dirty test.

Ditto, I loved the 15-85 on my 70D. It was well balanced for the body and I loved that it went as wide as 15mm (24mm FF equivalent). The various 18mm-xx kit lenses just never felt wide enough to me.
  13. Luds34

My favorite method of focus calibration. Cheap, fast, accurate and foolproof.

Yes, I do something similar. I just shoot a test chart and compare between liveview and PDAF. I usually try to defocus near and far, just to make sure there is no discrepancy depending on where the focus started from. BTW, while I did do this with my old 70D and new 6D2, this method worked fine...
  14. Luds34

Ended: EOS 5D Mark IV & EOS 6D Mark II Bundle Deals

Re: Back in Stock: EOS 5D Mark IV & EOS 6D Mark II Bundle Deals at B&H Photo Haha, same here. But that's what one gets buying the latest greatest! ;) I try to soothe the wounds a bit by rationalizing that although I would have saved a good chunk of change on the purchase of the mark II...
  15. Luds34

The joy of proper white balance.

Same. Most the time I can do the eye dropper on a grey area. Other times it requires more manual tweaking. Either way, I usually set it for one photo and copy/paste it for the rest of them. I like the new AWB-W (I think that is it) setting that has mostly eliminated the poor AWB under tungsten...
  16. Luds34

Twist on selling used.....Opinion?

Just sharing my personal experience. In terms of selling, I've almost exclusively used craigslist and have had good results. The only issue is time. I eventually will get what I'm looking for (a fair price) but it can take months, sometimes many months. I once sold to a local camera store...
  17. Luds34

Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM Coming First Half of 2018 [CR1]

Count me in on the 135L being "sharp enough". It is actually quite sharp and like any other lens in this category the DOF is quite narrow shooting wide open. While the AF on this lens is incredibly accurate (my copy anyway) it just takes a slight subject movement/shift to throw off focus and...
  18. Luds34

Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM Coming First Half of 2018 [CR1]

I agree with this. I shoot the 70-200 when I'm not sure of what I'm exactly shooting and want the zoom versatility. If I'm stepping out to shoot a portrait shot I reach for the 135 every time as it is (arguably) the ultimate portrait lens.
  19. Luds34

Firmware: Canon EOS 6D Mark II v1.0.3

I wish Sigma had a FW fix for their 35mm Art underexposing by a good two stops in LV mode on the 6D2. I don't use it often, but it is another useful tool to have available.
  20. Luds34

Samsung versus Sandisk et Al

Good to know and thanks for sharing. I like to hear personal stories, experiences dealing with various companies. I've yet to deal with Sandisk on an RMA, and I guess based on your experiences I'm happy to be using Samsung SSDs. ;) Your experience has echoed my limited experience with both...