Search results

1. G

Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

So as interesting as these announcements are, their price here in South Africa is completely insane. When i purchased my 1Dx Mk2 new in 2016 I paid around R75000 (it was on special at the time normal price has around R80000). The EOS R5 is listed here for pre-order at R81595. I can still get a...
  2. G

What's a good computer monitor?

I am not sure about AMD but as far as I know Nvidia has supported 10-bit output on geforce cards in non full screen applications for a while now. You just need to use their studio driver instead of the game ready driver.I unfortunately don't have a 10-bit display to actually test this with...
  3. G

Is this IQ within spec for an EF 70-200/2.8 L IS mk. II?

I think that is your best course of action. I believe your second experiment sufficiently eliminates all options except the lens (I doubt although am not 100% sure that an adapter could work well on one and badly on another lens). Best of luck getting the lens looked at by CPS, please do update...
  4. G

Is this IQ within spec for an EF 70-200/2.8 L IS mk. II?

The 70 - 200 does look a little soft. Although I think you need to do a more scientific comparison between the two. Use good lighting, a tripod and make sure the ISO (the 70 - 200 shot seems noisier to me which doesn't help sharpness either) is fixed at 100. You should also disable IS (just to...
  5. G

The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2020

I have a 1DX Mk2 and a 7D2. I find the 7D2 without the grip to be too small for my hands (I can't quite get my pinky to fit onto the 7D2 comfortably). Using the camera for extended periods of time causes me pain (I find the front of the grip digs into my palm between the ring finger and pinky)...
  6. G

Help please: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X for video editing

Just for reference I am using an Intel 5820k, 2 x GTX 1080Ti and 32GB of RAM and I find performance editing 4K60 from the 1DX2 in Davinci Resolve to be very good. To be honest I believe I am CPU limited (I don't find a massive improvement in many things from the 2nd 1080ti) but not so much that...
  7. G

CAPTURE ONE PRO IS NOW SUBSCRIPTION BASED TOO.

This is nothing new, I don't remember exactly when they introduced the subscription option but it was a number of years ago. My biggest gripe with Capture One has been the ever increasing upgrade costs. When Capture One 12 was released it was going to cost me in the region of $180 to upgrade my...
  8. G

Is the term ISO “totally fake”?

I do not believe that it is very easy to determine a sensors ISO-in-variance by looking at the sensors dynamic range. The same site however does provide charts for what I believe to be an indication of ISO-in-variance. They call it "Photographic Dynamic Range Shadow Improvement versus ISO"...
  9. G

Datacolor debuts SpyderX, a ground-breaking color calibration solution for monitors.

I also have a spyder 4 and I have used to calibrate a couple of TV's. In order to do this though your TV needs to have the relevant controls. On the Samsung TV's I have worked on you can manually adjust the RGB values of 10 points along the gamma curve. At the end of the day the calibration...
  10. G

So where is the EF version of the new 50mm f/1.2?

Quite frankly my 50 1.2L is probably my favorite lens especially when I consider the end results that it produces. I bought mine second hand for less than a new Sigma ART. At the time I compared the two and picked the Canon as I just preferred the images it produced (no where near as sharp but I...
  11. G

It’s finally happening, the PowerShot SX70 HS is next to be announced

I believe these are great cameras for people who want more than a regular point and shoot but don't want to be bothered with an interchangeable lens camera. I have personally recommended the SX60 to multiple people who are not photographers, but just want a camera to take with to the Kruger or...
  12. G

Powerbank and LP-E6N Power adapter

One potential solution for keeping the camera going for a long time could be using the Canon AC Adapter Kit for your camera https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278814-REG/canon_ac_e6n_ac_adapter_and.html In order to power the adapter you could then just get yourself a computer UPS. You can...
  13. G

1DX II cfast write speeds for 4K

It's a pleasure, I will try find some resources to recommend to you over the weekend. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me and I will try answer as best as I can. As to whether to shoot 4K or not I think as mentioned by ethanz there are both positives and negatives. But I have...
  14. G

That is great news that the Transcend can do 4k60p, in theory it is possible since to do 4k60p you only need 100MB/s and that card is rated higher than that. I had also seen some mixed reviews stating it could or couldn't do 4k60p so it is good to hear your experience. You might find that after...
  15. G

Hi Jack, I think for you to buy in the UK would probably be more expensive (except if you decide to give the Integral cards a try). If you are not interested in 4k60p then I believe that Transcend card you originally linked is great value. If you want to do 4k60p it will cost you an additional...
  16. G

Hi Jack, I see that card is only rated at 160MB/s write so has a similar rating to the fastest CF cards on the market (it might be faster in the actual camera though). Therefore if you don't need any additional speed over standard 1066x CF cards I would say go for it (it is a nice option to...
  17. G

I tested out the theory behind DxOMark's F-Stop blues article

After reading this thread I was intrigued so I decided to do some tests myself. The gear I used is 1DX MK2 7D MK2 50 f1.2. I shot 6 different scenarios with each camera: Shutter Speed: 1/40s f1.2 contacts not taped Shutter Speed: 1/40s f1.2 contacts taped Shutter Speed: 1/40s f1.8 contacts not...
  18. G

IR and DPP 4: whence cometh the unseemly tiny dots?

If you find that doing the pixel remapping using the manual sensor cleaning technique doesn't remove enough of the "hot" pixels, try taking 10+ min of video before initializing the sensor cleaning. This helps to warm up the sensor ensuring more of the "hot" pixels are mapped out (I managed to...
  19. G

Post processing opinion/advice

Hi all, nice photo Sanj. Just thought I would give this a go as well. This was processed with Capture One Pro 8.