Search results

1. K

Triggering my 600EX-RT?

I'm using a 5DM3 and a 600EX-RT. I want to be able to wireless trigger the 600EX-RT and I am able to do so by taking the PocketWizard receiver off of my monolight and putting it on the 600EX-RT. However, I'd like a way to trigger it without having to always connect/reconnect the PocketWizard...
  2. K

Colored filters to light a background VS. different colored background?

I want to use different color backgrounds for portraits. I currently use a white background and I’m thinking of just getting some colored filters and lighting the background with it. Is there a reason to use different color backgrounds backdrops vs. using my technique for just creating a...
  3. K

Metering mode with strobes?

I'm using a strobe and a reflector to light a subject and I'm in spot metering mode. This had me wondering, is there a reason to use any of the different metering modes when using studio lighting? Thanks.
  4. K

Sandbag suggestions for a light stand?

I want to attach an iPad to a light stand and I need a sandbag to make sure the stand doesn’t get knocked over. I have sand bags for my c stands but they seem too big and the legs of the light stand are not going to work with my current sand bags. What type of sand bag do you use with a light...
  5. K

Anyone use a CamRanger with an iPad?

I'm looking into a CamRanger to use with my 5DM3 and an iPad. I would like to use the iPad just to check focus and composition. 1. I shoot .CR2 though I guess I need to shoot RAW and .JPG if I want to use a CamRanger? 2. How long is the lag between shooting and having the .JPG appear on the...
  6. K

Tethering speeds

I am using a cable to tether my 5DM3 into Lightroom on my Macbook Pro. I am shooting .CR2. The speed is OK, though I would like it to be faster. 1. Is there anyway to increase the speed of the photos being tethered/imported into Lightroom? 2. If I want to tether wirelessly using a CamRanger...
  7. K

Soft edge to all of my photos???

All of a sudden I am getting a soft edge to my photos taken with a 5DM3. This happens with both my 24-70 and my 70-200. What is going on? Look at the left side of this photo. If I shoot horizontally the soft edge appears along the bottom. Thanks.
  8. K

Help getting started with Studio Lights

I'm completely new to studio lighting and am using a single monolight, softbox and a reflector, along with a 5DM3, 70-200 and a Sekonic L-478D along with a synch cable for the monolight and meter. I'd like to shoot f2.8 in order to create blur to the background, though I am confused by the...
  9. K

Basic light meter questions

I'm using a 5DM3 and a Sekonic L-478D 1.) I dial in T=250, F=2.8 and the meter tells me to use an ISO of 20. The lowest ISO on the 5DM3 is 100 as far as I understand it, what do you do in this situation? Does this mean I have too much light and need to close down my aperture? 2.) I want to...
  10. K

Focussing strategies with moving subjects

I want to use a 5DM3 and a 100-400 to shoot both photos and videos of kids doing gymnastics from a distance. The kids will be still in one spot and then run and do somersaults. 1.Is it better to use manual or auto focus for this? 2. If I choose manual focus, I can zoom in and focus on the...
  11. K

Bokeh with a 24-70

What is the best way to get good bokeh with a 24-70? Get close and have the background far away from the subject? OR something else? Thanks.
  12. K

Shutter speed rule when shooting handheld

I am still new to all of this, and want to shoot handheld with a 5DM3. I have a 24-70mm, 100-400mm, and a 70-200mm. To shoot without a tripod and without any handheld blur, can I always use the shutter speed rule of 1/70 for the 24-70mm, 1/400 for the 100-400mm, and 1/200 for the 70-200mm? OR...
  13. K

Using a grey card for video?

Is a grey card used to measure 18% from just like it is with photography? OR does it work differently? Thanks.
  14. K

Basic locking exposure questions

I have a 5DM3 and am a bit confused by conflicting things I have read about locking exposure. While using Spot metering, I meter on something and want to lock it so I press the asterisk to lock the exposure 1. Do i need to press and hold the asterisk to maintain the exposure or will pressing...
  15. K

Advice for shooting small kids in front of a Christmas tree

I'm still new to photography and am going to photograph a 3-yr old and a 10-month old together in front of a Christmas tree tonight. I'm going to use a 5DM3 and a 24-70mm. I also have a 600EX-RT and a large, and an extra large Flash Bender. The lighting in the room is very yellowish/warm. What...
  16. K

70-100mm VS. 100-400mm Questions?

I'm fairly new to photography. 1. I'm wondering, why not just get one long lens like a 100-400mm and use it instead of the 70-100mm if I do not need focal lengths less than 100? 2. How is the 100-400mm VS. a 70-100mm for portrait photography? Thanks.
  17. K

Exposing when the subject is both dark and white?

When shooting with the subject being a fair skinned person and a dog with dark fur taking up most of the frame, how do you properly meter/expose the image? What about when using a flash? what is the best approach to handling FEC when in either a low light or fill situation? Is bracketing my...
  18. K

Using a flash vs. a reflector as a fill light?

When needing fill light for someone against bright naturally lit background, or to just fill in shadows on someone's face indoors or outdoors, what is the difference between using a reflector vs. a flash as a fill light in terms of lighting quality? When might one work better than the other...
  19. K

Using White/Grey/Black calibration target

I understand how to use a white balance card to calibrate the WB of a camera, though how do you use a calibration target that also includes black and middle grey? Is this intended to be used mainly to edit your photos in Photoshop or Lightroom to set the black, middle grey, and white point OR...
  20. K

Diffusing and using Gels with a 600EX?

I'm completely new to using a 600EX with a 5DM3 for both indoor and outdoor photography. 1. If ceilings/walls are too far away to bounce off and the flash is mounted to the top of the camera, is it better to use a diffusion cap, like...