Search results

1. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

I know how much y'all love my owl photos! Today I finally got the last one for Wisconsin. I have seen and photographed them before, but nowhere near as good as this one posed! It even had a mouse in its talons from last night, with the head bitten off. I was very close to it as well, as they are...
  2. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

Thank you! I love their loud song and calls. Sound exotic to me, maybe because I never see them. Jeremy
  3. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

I saw several Bald Eagles in and around Sax-Zim Bog, while up there. These particular three were eating on a deer carcass in the median of the highway. 7D mkll / EF 600 f4 ll / 1.4x lll. Because I edited so many photos from my recent vacation, I'll just share a link to a huge gallery I created...
  4. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

Some more of the Northern Hawk Owl from Northern Minnesota. Jeremy
  5. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

If you have never been to the Sax-Zim Bog in northern Minnesota, it is a must go in the winter for those 2 owl species alone. It is a black spruce bog and covers almost 20 square miles. You basically drive around from sunrise to sunset and hope to find owls, with other birds mixed in between...
  6. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

Jeremy Thank you! I prefer some kind of a background, but you take what you get. I 100% agree the GGOW needs to have a background as well. Jeremy
  7. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

In addition to the the majestic Great Gray Owl, a Northern Hawk Owl was very consistent in the same location every day. He put on quite a show! 7D mkll / EF600 f4 ll / 1.4x lll Jeremy
  8. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

A few more Great Gray Owls from my recent vacation. 7D mkll & EF600 f4 ll Jeremy
  9. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

Found this incredible Great Gray Owl this afternoon at Sax Zim Bog. I have been up here all week on vacation. Still have at least 2 more days. 7D mkll & EF600 f4 ll Jeremy
  10. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

I had never seen a breeding plumage male Black Scoter, until yesterday. It sure is a cool looking duck! It was calling and displaying for a female Greater Scaup, haha! 7D mkll / EF600 f4 / 1.4x lll Jeremy
  11. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

And here is the frog thief himself! 7D mkll / EF600 f4 ll / 1.4x lll Jeremy
  12. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

I watched a Common Merganser catch 2 frogs. I think they were already dead, laying on the lake floor, but still cool to watch. The second one was stolen by a male, Red-breasted Merganser. 7D mkll / EF600 f4 ll / 1.4x lll Jeremy
  13. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of juncos, it is just the Oregon subspecies that is rare for us. Yellow-bellied is not very common in the winter. we usually have them pass through in spring and a few may linger. Then we get them in the fall on the way back home. Jeremy
  14. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

Some others from that day as well. Same setup, but some are with the extender and some are not. Jeremy Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) *rare for us* Fox Sparrow Red-bellied Woodpecker Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
  15. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

Lapland Longspur showed up at a local park and gave excellent views, at less than 10'! The only problem, it was -6 degrees and heat distortion was terrible, even at close range! 7D mkll & EF600 f4 ll Jeremy
  16. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

Peregrine Falcon was sitting in the median atop a light pole the other day. I turned around and got a few photos of it. Jeremy
  17. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

The same day I had the Long-eared Owls, I also had my best ever looks at a dark morph Rough-legged Hawk. It was incredibly close and went down to the ground for mice three times, but only successful once. 7D mkll / EF600 f4 ll / 1.4x lll Jeremy
  18. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

A few Long-eared Owls from last Saturday in Milwaukee... first 4 - 7D mkll / EF600 f4 ll last 3 - 7D mkll / EF100-400 ll Jeremy
  19. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

I had a 3 owl day today. I spent over 5 hours in the woods looking for them. Certainly, rewarded for that! Jeremy
  20. jmeyer

Show your Bird Portraits

Thank you for the detailed response. I guess I did not fully look into the CRAW before. I've been seeing pretty decent photos at ISO 6400, which is why I was asking. I don't think a really close up photo of a subject at a high ISO is a good judge of the capabilities, though. Something 50' away...