Search results

1. D

First look: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Image Quality

Manual focus is fine if the lens reports to the camera and the aperture works. I got tired of the weight of the 24-70/2.8 II, and used the Voightlander Ultron 40/2.0 pancake lens for a while. On the 5D2, it's essentially AF, in that you half press, turn the ring until the AF system beeps, and...
  2. D

First look: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Image Quality

Hmm. The weight and price are seriously not acceptable here. The "modern 50mm" game has gotten completely out of hand. Meanwhile, at half the weight and half the price of this new Canon, the Voightlander (Cosina) 40/1.2 Nokton is looking very reasonable.
  3. D

So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

Unless you are interested in a 6DII. Canon's getting close. The glasses-friendly viewfinder is super-kewl. There hasn't been a really glasses friendly viewfinder since the Nikon F100 (or was it 100F). Whatever... Now all Canon needs to do is persuade Cosina to make RF versions of the 40/1.2...
  4. D

Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

No, no, no, no, no. The point of photography is to actually take actual photographs, so it is only what happens in the final print/image that matters. To compare, you have to compare apples to apples. Same camera to subject distance, same effective focal length, same pixel count, same print...
  5. D

Huh? The only* thing wrong with the M5 Mk1 is the lack of a 16-64 (4x) f/4.0 (constant aperture) IS zoom. Come on, Canon. That'd be an easy way to rip gobs of money out of my, and lots of other folks, pockets. All the squawking and wailing here (including mine!), though, is because the EOS-R...
  6. D

Hey, guy. Get with the program. Sony has been announced to be toast over and over. The lack of IBIS and the long (20 mm vs. Sony's 9 mm) flange distance means that I'll probably be going that route, too. All the fun lenses I've been looking at (40/1.2, Loxia 21/2.8, 10/12/15mm Heliars) will...
  7. D

Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Re: MP counts. If by "this end" you mean your needs, sure. But people with the 5Ds seem real happy. And decent modern glass has no trouble keeping up. So MP counts up to 50 or so make sense for folks who at least dream of really large prints. Which means the new Canon camera isn't speaking to...
  8. D

Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Only if the price is under US$2,000 and it has IBIS. For somewhat less than US$3,000, the A7riii is looking real nice: 30MP simply isn't enough of a jump over the M5's 24, but 47MP is. And the fun Cosina lenses (40/1.2, Loxia 21/2.8, 10/12/15mm Heliars, etc.) will just work. And if the new Canon...
  9. D

A hypothesis concerning the RF mount

Lenses in the 10mm to 50mm range can be made smaller and lighter and better. The Nokton 40/1.2 (a seriously lovely lens) is about half the weight of the Canon 35/1.4 II. And the Voughtlander 10, 12, and 15mm lenses are seriously kewl. (All of these are manufactured by Cosina, the Japanese...
  10. D

Adobe is Preparing a Major Performance Update to Lightroom Classic CC

This sounds as though it's preparing for the Intel i9. Intel processors (up until the i9) have only gained about 30% in speed per processor over the previous 10 years (according to Intel). But the i9 has a bunch of improvements at the processor and inter-processor connection levels as well as...
  11. D

Will it be the EOS M1? [CR2]

The thing is, the optical viewfinder requires a mirror, a separate AF system, a separate exposure system, and more radically retrofocus lenses. This stuff all costs. And in real life, the M5's viewfinder is fine. Let me modify this: A/B comparing the M5 and the 5D II, the M5 viewfinder wins...
  12. D

What's the most resolution I could get from films like Cinestill 50 & Velvia 50?

The experience here, using Provia 100F and a Nikon 9000, was that in a 12x18 print, both 645 and 12MP digital were noticeably better than 35mm. 6x7 in the Nikon 9000 was glorious, but scanning 6x7 was a major pain. Velvia is a very short scale film, 5 stops of dynamic range, if that. There is...
  13. D

When is the M5 Shipping?

Because the mount adapter without the foot can be used without bumping into the third-party tripod mount plate you have on the body. And can be used with those smaller lenses that make gobs of sense on APS-C, like the 50/1.4 as a portrait lens, without cluttering up the form factor and tangling...
  14. D

Canon Full Frame Mirrorless [CR2]

Because you get things like the Cosina 10mm f.5.6 lens. Because some other lenses (e.g. 16-35, 24-105) could be made (somewhat) better, lighter, and cheaper. And because it could be lighter and easier to use. It wouldn't necessarily replace the DSLR, but it could be a nice complement. But you...
  15. D

New Sigma Lenses Coming Today

Re: New Sigma Lenses Coming Shortly? [CR1] The Sigma 12-24 lenses have been great fun since the first one was released. Absolutely wonderful for architectural interiors. Sure, the corners at 12mm were funky on the first version and only half-way decent on the second version, but for the...
  16. D

More Canon EOS M5 Specifications Emerge

Yep. On Amazon Japan, it's November 30th. And it's seriously pricey: US$1200 for the body. I was expecting more like US$1100 for body + 11-22. Ouch. And sigh.
  17. D

Samyang Announces Premium 14mm f/2.4 & 85mm f/1.2 Lenses

Uh, no. The Japanese company Cosina has been making the Zeiss lenses for an age now. Zeiss may be making the Otus line themselves, but Cosina does the rest. They make _great_ lenses. I have their (pre-Milvus) Zeiss 21/2.8 and Voightlander 40/2.0 pancake, and they are superb. They also make a...
  18. D

Canon EOS M5 Coming in Two Kits, Including New Lens

FWIW, the first line of that Japanese site says "According to overseas (i.e. outside Japan) sources...". Which is to say, we may be getting ahead of ourselves here. (I'm really looking forward to using the 11-22 lens on a body with a viewfinder, so I'm as overworked as everyone else...)
  19. D

Canon EOS M5 Spotted at Russian Certification

But the M3 is already pretty cheap. The body + wide angle zoom (here in Tokyo) are cheaper than the Sony Rx100 III. (Grumble; but add the finder and it's more expensive.) So there's a bit of room for price increase iff there's a built-in finder. If and only if.
  20. D

Another Mention of an EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III

I'd recommend _NOT_ selling. The 16-35/4 IS is one sharp lens, and doing significantly better is unlikely. Unless you are shooting moving subjects, one should be much happier at f/5.6 + IS on the f/4 IS lens than at f/2.8 on the faster lens: sharper overall, much sharper corners, more DOF, and...