Search results

1. falcnr

What is your favorite new feature of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

I love my 1DX 2 and am happy with frame rate and focussing when light is good. I'm not happy with its focussing capability on small moving objects like BIF in pre sunrise or low light. It sucks with poor contrast. This being said, my only real gripe is not enough pixels in the MK2 and no change...
  2. falcnr

More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

So refreshing to read this as I have been frustrated by the low keeper rate of this camera when trying to pull off a handheld shots at still wildlife. I've had some killer images but they seem few and far in between and i couldn't figure out what was the cause other than the fact the resolution...
  3. falcnr

Canon vs Sony mirrorless body

Hi folks, I am considering buying a mirrorless body to use on a zhiyun or similar gimbal for portable videoing of people, close objects, street scene, places etc. I'd prefer to stick with Canon to use on my extensive lens collection but i hear Sony A7 Mk3 is supposed to be the most popular...
  4. falcnr

Looking to get into video - Equipment advice

Thats very helpful thank you. While I have no direct experience with video i do shoot a lot of BIF with my DX2 and variety of (mostly prime) lens's. I can't emphasize enough the importance of focussing lock and track on fast moving small subjects. Nothing does it better than the 1DX2 but i'm...
  5. falcnr

Thanks ...rental in this part of the world 9Dubai) is not an option unfortunately. I've not looked at mirrorless since my experience with early Sony was the autofocus couldn't keep up. Maybe new models are much better ?
  6. falcnr

Sorry Ethan, please resend as I accidentally deleted instead of accepted.
  7. falcnr

Thanks for input. I should be more specifi yes. This is purely personal use but I like to do it right and there are budgetary constraints of course. This being said I've seem to have amassed a few canon lens's for use with my 1DX2 and shoot everything from 800mm down i.e. 600 400, 300 200-400...
  8. falcnr

Thanks for your input I understand what your saying but trust me when 'm saying the sort of BIF work I do is highly specialized and fast action. It requires precise target acquisition, tracking and follow through that simply isn't possible using a rear LCD screen. I think there must be...
  9. falcnr

My reason is simply for pleasure ...as I see so much interesting and unique things while out, but if i do something I like to do it right. I seem to be doing OK with stills (instagram a/c "falcnr") ...but I think we miss out on the experience that video brings. Using a tripod is useless when...
  10. falcnr

Advice needed Canon Video camera.

Hello all, Been thinking of treading into new territory and buying a good quality video camera. To date i'm shooting stills with 1DX2 and having great results but its not a fast paced video camera for capturing BIF. Strictly personal use and 95% for wildlife. I'd prefer if i could use my...
  11. falcnr

Replacement to the DX MK2 ?

Put on several hundred thousand frames and I suspect some focussing issues following a recent tumble in its bag. No visible damage but I'm finding keeps rate has now dropped off along with a few freeze ups leaning towards connectivity issues. I'd take it in for service but i'm not fancying...
  12. falcnr

Hey folks, I've been toying with getting into video for some time now and feel ready to make a leap, mostly wildlife stuff but need to be able to video birds in flight. I'm a complete newbie with video. Any advice on equipment and would any be able to accept a myriad of Canon lens's I have for...
  13. falcnr

Replacement to the DX MK2 ?

Hello all, I've been off site for a while. Has there been any talk and timeline recently about a replacement to the 1DX MK2 ? I am needing to replace my 1dX MK2 and was thinking of buying a second but wondered if there were any talk of a replacement coming in the pipeline. Sorry if this...
  14. falcnr

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

HI Jack, yes were at a few nest sites and banding the chicks and recording DATA. RE the cropping, it is relatively minimal as the falcon is truly trying to hit my head and just as it gets real close i duck behind the lens. In fact I usually get off a sequence of images and the last one or two...
  15. falcnr

Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM

In a moment of weakness (and positive bank account), I bought a used Canon 800mm f5.6. The first two images i took hand held of all things when i first got it and used my 1DX. The leopard and black shaheen were taken recently this year. I was resting on my knee for the leopard using the 5DSR at...
  16. falcnr

Your best animal shots!

A few recent encounters illustrating I had too much focal length sometimes. ::)
  17. falcnr

Show your Bird Portraits

yes it say's "if he comes any closer I will give him a whack on his head" :D certainly has a look of focus and determination. The truth is we were banding the young at the nest with government bands to track movement etc and while my friend was hanging over the cliff I was capturing the images...
  18. falcnr

Show your Bird Portraits

Thanks Click.
  19. falcnr

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Thanks, as i get better at this hopefully so will the images. ;D
  20. falcnr

Help! 1DX II Cfast issues!

I had a similar issue. The update for LR6 fixed it in so much I can load into LR and view and edit etc. However my iMac does not yet have an update to view and open the images on my computer outside of LR. It says does not support current RAW format or words to that effect. So we wait for Apple...