Search results

1. jolyonralph

So, 3rd party RF lenses ARE possible after all...

Have just seen the first third-party EF - RF mount adaptor - from Commlite, which appears to be a direct replica of the Canon EF- RF mount adaptor. It's about 2/3 of the price, doesn't carry the Canon logo, not a big deal in itself and nothing that will make anyone really excited - other than...
  2. jolyonralph

First low(ish) cost RF lens adaptors.

Browsing Aliexpress this morning I found that Chinese company Amopofo have launched a range of manual focus adaptors for FD, Nikon and other lens types to RF. Prices are not unreasonable. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20181112235653&SearchText=EOSR+amopofo I...
  3. jolyonralph

Older vs Newer production of same lens.

I have been wondering how much difference there is between a modern production run of a lens that's been on the market for a while (eg the 50mm f/1.4) and older production of the same model. While the optical formula is the same, one thing that has clearly improved in the time is the general...
  4. jolyonralph

The End of the DSLR?

I had an interesting discussion last night with a guy who has more contacts than I do in the Canon world. He made a bold statement. "Canon will never release another mirror-based professional DSLR" Pushing further he said that you won't see a 1DXIII or a 5D Mark V with mirrors. There will...
  5. jolyonralph

Selling exclusive image rights

Just curious about this issue - it's not something that's come up to me yet but I wondered what the issues were. If client X wants to buy one image from me, and to have all exclusive rights for that image (which I generally wouldn't do, but let's assume for this that I would) what is to stop...
  6. jolyonralph

Flash battery doors

Is it just me being unlucky, or are there problems with flash battery doors breaking? Inevitably the little plastic tabs that lock the door in place just fail. I thought this was just because I had been a cheapskate buying 3rd party flashes, but so far I've had one Yongnuo 468, a 568EX II and...
  7. jolyonralph

Monochrome-only body?

How many people would like Canon to do a monochrome-only body option, similar in concept to the Leica M Monochrom? I'd certainly be very interested...
  8. jolyonralph

Evolutionary Chart of EF Lenses 1987-2016

So. I was bored and decided to create a flowchart showing the "evolution" of EF lenses since 1987. It's quite handy if you want to see how various second-hand lenses fit into the scheme of things. This is a work in progress and I'd be interested in any comments and suggestions about how it...
  9. jolyonralph

Long term future for EF lenses. A rambling thought...

I wonder how much money Canon make on pro lenses vs pro bodies? My thinking is that with cameras such as the A7R II being able to use (with adaptors) many EF lenses and autofocus at decent speeds then there will be a time, not long away, when those of us with investments in EF lenses can...