Search results

1. olympus593

Canon is actively conducting market research on a “retro” style camera body

I'd love to see an EOS 50 styled camera. EOS 50 had the best ergonomics of the EOS film era with its unique double knobs.
  2. olympus593

Teardown: The Canon EOS R5 gets an autopsy

Let the moddings begin!
  3. olympus593

You can now get Skylum Luminar 3 for free

Well, Adobe Creative Cloud and its countless "support" services and executables are even more dodgy. I partially agree with regarding to performance issues as I had some of them with Luminar 2018 and the first release of Luminar 4, but otherwise, it's pretty ok. File handling it's still not in...
  4. olympus593

Patent: Expanded dynamic range using DPAF sensors

This is kinda similar to Magic Lantern's Dual ISO, where odd and even pixel rows are read in different ISOs. The file must go through a demosaic process but the result is very impressive, at the cost of some vertical resolution (proportional to stops difference). Maybe this is the dynamic range...
  5. olympus593

Review: Canon EOS R by DPReview

Another review with excessive focus on specs. I've seen more than a dozen and not a single one gives details about the new exposure mode, Fv. As someone who loves Magic Lantern due to Exposure Presets (among other features), this mode sounds promising, but the reviews at the most just quote...
  6. olympus593

Opinion: Canon is causing its own problems with the RF mount

Something about this whole RF mount talk also tells me that EF-S is basically a dead-alive series, just for the entry-line segment, in other words, Rebel line. Both 80D and 7D2 currently act as a bridge between 2 worlds, with better build quality and nice features for a reasonable price. The...
  7. olympus593

Opinion: Canon is causing its own problems with the RF mount

Cut the crap. Pentax PK mount flange mount distance is 45.46mm, 1.46mm larger than EF (44mm) and there are many adapters out there, some with onboard electronics for compatibility with newer lenses. I use a "dumb" one with a PK 50mm f/1.2.
  8. olympus593

Nik Collection by DxO Press Release Leaks Ahead of June 6 Announcement

Google bought Nik Software because of Snapseed app for Android and iOS devices. It is by far the most advanced mobile oriented editing app and also free, only rivaled by Lightroom CC Mobile for subscribers. I paid for the Nik plugins when Google was selling it for 149 dollars. A friend of mine...
  9. olympus593

A New EF 70-200mm is Coming in 2018 [CR3]

For this all you need to do is buy a rubber hood that screws on the CPL. Very cheap on those chinese sites (DX, etc).[/list]
  10. olympus593

The Coming EF-M Prime to be 50mm Equivalent for APS-C EOS M [CR2]

It's a known fact that full frame mirrorless doesn't result in real weight or size reduction. But with APS-C, it's a different game, as shown by Fuji. I believe that in a few years the majority of Canon cameras with APS-C sensors will mirrorless, and that in 5 years from now the only APS-C DSLR...
  11. olympus593

Leaked: Images of a Prototype New Canon EOS Rebel

Probably the T6 sucessor. The silver dial looks like the one on the T1i. As it's a certification unit, I'd bet Canon still has silver dials on stock.
  12. olympus593

Patent: Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

This. The 18-200 is terrible beyond 140mm... so bad that depending on the copy it may be better to crop the image out of a 18-135. For traveling, the 18-135 is much lighter and does the job with 35mm equivalent values of ~30-210. Not only 3rd party lens makers do have better and cheaper...
  13. olympus593

Ended: 1 Year Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan $88 (Reg $119)

Re: Deal: 1 Year Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan $88 (Reg $119) Would it work on foreign subscriptions??
  14. olympus593

Adobe to Support Dual Pixel RAW in Future Version of Lightroom

Good news. Can't barely wait for them to change the opening box photo... :P
  15. olympus593

Canon Working on Full Frame Fixed Lens Camera? [CR1]

I hope this is not true. Canon seems lost. Not on the lead of mirrorless like Fuji and Sony, and losing ground everyday for Nikon. The D500 has impressive features, and makes the 7D2 look old and outdated. A fixed lens mirrorless looks like another stupid move. Sony and Fuji clearly used this...
  16. olympus593

Patent: Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6

But for full frame bodies, the only "option" for an all around is the EF 28-300mm L. EF-S 18-135mm on a crop is equivalent to 29-216mm (1,6x crop factor). So, an 28-200mm EF lens makes a lot of sense, since on the EF line up there is nothing similar, and IMHO 135mm isn't enough on FF bodies...
  17. olympus593

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]

There's one thing I noticed: If this fps spec is true, that means the live view shooting will probably be shutterless, like one of the best features on MagicLantern.
  18. olympus593

Patent: Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6

Wouldn't that be an non-L all-around lens for full frame bodies (EF)? We have 18-200 on EF-S and EF 28-300 L, but nothing in the middle. A EF 28-200 with IS on 6D/6D2 would be an interesting setup for travel.