Search results

1. H

FF Mirrorless Needed in 2018 -- A7-III changed the segment !

There are things like churches, which often are very dark in Germany (all over Europe, to be more precise) and flashes aren't usually allowed at all. Very easy to end up at ISO 12800 at f2.8 with a 70-200 or 24-70. Otherwise, we use flashes of course, but we and our clients don't like dance...
  2. H

Getting 2/3 of a stop more at higher ISOs helps us a lot when post processing a few thousand images after a wedding. I can see that when using the LR presets we built on the 5div or A9/A7riii files. Colors look better with the Sony sensors, noise levels when pushing stay lower, extra cropping...
  3. H

Disagree again, as do many other I know. My wife and I use pro dslrs and Sonys at weddings for a few years now and Sony gives you the possibility to change the ergonomics drastically. The argument that you don't get the right ergonomics is subjective and often moot, as you don't need to use it...
  4. H

Disagree. I have a Metabones V, too. Works very stable (and is better than the MC-11 unless for video AF), gives me tracking at 10fps with the A9 and 3fps with the A7riii and A7iii. Provides eye AF + other native modes and AFC works really well. _No_ AFMA is needed, so you won't get back-/front...
  5. H

Article: The 5 Reasons Why I Switched Back to Canon From Sony

In my personal use I see a clear advantage in the Sony files, which grows even more when downsizing to 30MP, giving me extra headroom in using NR if necessary. Although the PDR measures only 0.8ev less at base ISO, the biggest advantage for me is that after the first gain change (iso640) the...
  6. H

Article: The 5 Reasons Why I Switched Back to Canon From Sony

Subjective, I find the A9 with grip to be really ergonomic (We use A9/A7riii and 2 5divs for weddings). I don't have problems with metering. Why do you? What do you mean with AF illuminator? AF assist light? I have thet with Godox x1t-s if required. Or do you mean the VF AF point illumination...
  7. H

Nikon Full Frame Mirrorless to Have New Z Mount

You say "He plotted actual data from 2013-2017, generated linear trendlines based on those data which yield a ~10% y/y decrease in dSLRs and a ~10% y/y increase in MILC shipments (actually, the latter closer to ~6% per year), which he then extrapolated to 2018-2020 based on those linear...
  8. H

Thom Hogan didn't do a trend based on one data point increase. Just read my reply to Neuro... I wouldn't call the sensor update huge, but substantial. DR at low isos improved further...
  9. H

The thing is, that using the existing data and calculating trend lines over this period is not what Thom Hogan did. He didn't estimate the 2020 data based on a trend of _only_ the old data. Instead he first estimated, based on a simple reasonable assumption, the unit volume for 2018, 2019 and...
  10. H

True? I think Thom Hogan is well aware of the data and is not selecting only a small part suiting himself, being a DSLR user himself. He reports a likely scenario and isn't reporting it as the truth, his estimate and I think he could be right, is 2020. But, please provide your own data and prove...
  11. H

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/when-does-mirrorless-suppla.html showed two scenarios based on unit volume which are very possible (based on 10% decrease in dslrs and 10% increase in mirrorless, for example). Change the growth rate to account for new MILC models introduced by Canon and...
  12. H

Birdsasart migrates to Nikon

I don't know whether speculating helps in any way. I don't know whether it makes sense to switch in such a way and pay a huge surplus for buying the large teles and D5 bodies, accessories, etc., before an 1dx3 is out. Usually you have a leapfrogging contest between Canon and Nikon. The D4s...
  13. H

BCN Rankings Are Out, Canon Continues to Dominate DSLRs, Further Growth in Mirrorless

Disagree. In Germany all the stores I go to have prominent Sony sections by now. Even Media Markt and Saturn (comparable to Best Buy) prominently display Sony. This is only a more recent thing, however. Just a few years back, it was all Canon and Nikon, with a bit of Olympus. Sony began to...
  14. H

BCN Rankings Are Out, Canon Continues to Dominate DSLRs, Further Growth in Mirrorless

We are talking about Japan only, right? I get the impression people think of world wide numbers, here.
  15. H

No, certainly not. M5 is more expensive where I live than the A6000, with kit lens I get an A6300 with 4k for a similar price; 5div was 4100Euros (A7riii 3500 Euros) when introduced. A9 is 5300 Euros compared to 7000Euros for a D5, for example. So no, in general I think your claim to be wrong.
  16. H

What kind of argument is this? Zeiss was just giving an example. Honestly, I believe more in Zeiss lens design competence than yours. If they say such a short flange distance provides benefits I wouldn't argue that unless I had similar competence. Do you?
  17. H

Weather Sealing Torture Test: Canon, Olympus, Nikon Pass.. Sony?

As I thought and you mad the very clear. I find the newer Sony lenses extremely good, superior in many aspects to Canons counterparts in the metrics important to me, with the exception of the 35/1.4ii, which I adore (only problem this lens has is flares occuring when shooting contre jour). Of...
  18. H

LOL. Your posts show your bias and getting personal doesn't help. I use Sony for quite some time now and shot several weddings where it strongly rained, as well as other jobs, too. I have the first hand experience, used other gear and still shoot a 5div as a second body. If one believed you and...
  19. H

That is pretty much nonsense. I shot 5div and Sony A9 in parallel last year, having had many rainy wedding days without any problem at all. And if the rain is too heavy, I wouldn't want to shoot at all. Majority of couples wouldn't anyway, too. But for the situations I had to, it worked...
  20. H

What if Canon were no longer #1?

This is a really unsubstantiated and subjective comment. The flange distance is not flawed. This is not a "fact", like you seem to imply, but subjective. "Dear Mike! We have an answer for you now: because of the shorter flange focal distance of mirrorless camera systems compared to SLR systems...