Search results

1. D

Filters on tele-zooms

When I checked my EF 100-400L II pictures shot yesterday, I had the ugly surprise that they were not as sharp as usual. I first didn't understand why. So, I re-calibrated the AFMA, but there was no change, T & W remained unchanged. Since most pictures were shot stabilized, also at short shutter...
  2. D

Guess where...(easy!)

Easy for many to locate...
  3. D

What happened to MPB Europe ?

In the past, I ordered quite a few lenses from MPB continental Europe. Whatever was described as in "excellent" condition was indeed in excellent condition. Yet, after a change to their website, I started to notice more and more often, that items, classed as "excellent", could suffer from...
  4. D

Landscapes

A derelict barn (Summilux 35 & EF 135 L)
  5. D

EOS R3 for macro with eye-control AF

Hi everybody. I'm thinking of getting an R3 also for macro, and plan to use its "eye-control" AF for some difficult shots, in order to keep the focus on a small specific part of the plant. Has somebody ever used this configuration with success? Thanks for your answers!
  6. D

Canon or Nissin macro ringflash ?

Just in case somebody hesitates. I own the Nissin MF 18 ringflash, in a Canon "dedicated" version. I believed I could use it on any more or less recent Canon DSLR or MILC. I should have looked for compatibility on the Nissin website... This flash doesn't work on many Canon cameras, for instance...
  7. D

Will Canon really discontinue these lenses?

According to a French forum (on Chasseur d' images' website), Canon is "said" to be about to stop producing and selling: EF-S 60 F2.8 Macro USM EF-S 18-135 F3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 18-200 F3.5-5.6 IS EF 70-200 F4L USM EF 24-70 F4L IS USM EF 100mm F2.8 Macro USM EF 85mm...
  8. D

Why no "maximum depth of field program" ?

I still wonder, why Canon hasn't taken the chance to provide the EOS R5 with an AUTOMATIC maximum DOF program. It would be a huge help for landscapers, if you could automatically obtain maximum DOF to infinity, for preselected apertures. All new AF lenses lack a usable DOF scale... With, for...
  9. D

Optical Limits: the art of Leica lenses

I strongly suggest a visit to Optical Limits, where you will find, in "Industry News", an extremely interesting interview of Leica's optical genius, Peter Karbe.
  10. D

RF 2,8/24-70 test by Optical Limits

"Best fast standard zoom lens tested to date" Nothing to add...
  11. D

Destroying brand-new filters

We all know that many new Canon lenses, L lenses too, can have a plastic-made filter thread. But even aluminium threads are quite fragile. So, in order to protect them, I usually buy the cheapest filters available, remove (destroy) the glass element, and screw them on my lenses. Out of...
  12. D

70-200 f4 Lens Rentals MTF results

Was I dreaming or drunk yesterday? I'm convinced to have seen-read a comparison between the Nikon, Canon and soni tele-zooms. Can't find a trace of this test today (it was even referred to on this forum). Any explanation?:unsure::unsure::unsure: PS: I definitely wasn't drunk!!!!! PPS: I never...
  13. D

EOS R with RF to EF filter- adapter

Hi fellow EOS R users! Before I order the quite expensive RF to EF filter-adapter, I'd need to know whether it does actually protect the sensor from dust. I'm only episodically interested in the use of filters, rather looking for a way to "seal" the body during lens changes in dusty...
  14. D

Relevance of LR MTF tests

My aim is definitely not to criticize Lens Rentals, whose professionalism is above any doubt. Yet, I keep wondering whether tests performed at maximal aperture are really relevant in daily life. They certainly are, if one is using 1,2 lenses, more even for the likes of Noctilux 0,95 lenses...
  15. D

Help for Capture One Pro 12

Hi! Since I switched from LR to Capture One Pro 12, I've been looking on Amazon for a recommendable book upon this subject (language English, French or German) Does anyone have a suggestion?