Search results

1. EverydayPhotographer

What I would like to see in 2024

Not going to lie: I'm tepid at best on a retro camera. I have gotten spoiled these last few decades on actually being able to hold my camera. So I am probably not the target market. That being said, I do understand the attraction. But I am going to say this: if they do this and don't make it the...
  2. EverydayPhotographer

Update on the Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS USM

I think a choice between the 100-500L that you already have and another $2K for this is kind of a slam-dunk non-choice. The real market is guys like me who can't spring for the L glass, but would like to have a decent telephoto. For a consumer model, the RF100-400 is a fantastic lens, and I...
  3. EverydayPhotographer

Canon Patent Application: More Super Telephoto Zooms

The RF100-400 is an absolute powerhouse for what it is. Light weight, great price, and optical performance well ahead of the pricepoint. For me, it's not a matter of whether I should've purchased that or saved up my pennies for a faster L series lens. I couldn't have afforded anything more...
  4. EverydayPhotographer

Canon Patent Application: Miniaturization of built-in teleconverter

There's a good potential that it could be even better, being engineered for the specific lens rather than being a "one size fits all" solution for all lenses and types.
  5. EverydayPhotographer

Canon USA refurb sale, Canon EOS R5 down to $2999, EOS R6 $1299 & EOS RP $599

The refurbished RF100-400 is a steal right now at $379.99 plus free shipping. It's tempting enough to pick up a second one as a backup...
  6. EverydayPhotographer

Canon to announce the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

I don't know why you would think that, considering what their top selling camera models have been for the last half of a decade or more. If the intent is to shift more fully into the R series, focusing on replacements for the wildly popular M series and the very marketable Rebel series are all...
  7. EverydayPhotographer

Canon Adds EOS R50 and EOS R8 to the Growing EOS R Mirrorless Camera System

I think Jethro and I are of like mind. I have an RP and an R10, and the latter exposes some of the age of the former. Enough so that I was considering the R6mkII. Now I am thinking I will save $1k, and some time around Father’s Day when Canon seems to like to drop discounts, I will also be in a...
  8. EverydayPhotographer

Canon Launches the Kokomo Solution

One of the most unusual recent releases was that 5.2mm L dual fisheye VR lens that only works on the R5. This makes me wonder if there is some Connect the Dots type of plan down the road somewhere.
  9. EverydayPhotographer

There are two more APS-C RF mount cameras coming [CR2]

This is a complaint I see thrown around constantly, and frankly, I think it's comical. Most everyone seems to forget that there is a third control dial conveniently placed on pretty much every single RF lens on offer, and on an adapter if you want to use it on EF-mount lenses. To me, the control...
  10. EverydayPhotographer

What are the odds of an R8 at this point?

I think we've gotten used to a pretty slim and trim product lineup, at least where full-frame cameras are concerned. It used to pretty much just be the 1D, 5D, and 6D. Now we have no less than five bodies - the R3, R5, R6, R, and RP - covering a much broader spectrum of feature sets and shooting...
  11. EverydayPhotographer

What are the odds of an R8 at this point?

It seemed like as soon as a rumor cracked about an R replacement/suspected R8, the R6mkII surfaced and stole the show. The R6mkII really seems to firm up that camera's place in the R series lineup. Now that it has been released, I am curious to know what the expectations are on the R...
  12. EverydayPhotographer

The Canon EOS R6 Mark II should be announced sometime this year

I mean, 100% of the market isn't the target market for this, either. If you're happy with your OG R6, that's great. I doubt Canon will exert much pressure on you, as I am sure that they don't see that as the only path into this camera. Using myself as a counterpoint example, I have an RP. I...
  13. EverydayPhotographer

Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

I think it's just a way of branding to make the auto-crop mode when putting on an RF-S lens sound fancier than it is. Nothing to see here, LOL
  14. EverydayPhotographer

Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

Remember, of course, that the worst vice is advice. That being said, I am not far behind you. I have an RP and love it, but I know it’s time for an upgrade. And there are some small things that make me not want to spend $2,500+ on the R6. If they hold, the specs on this Mark II version will...
  15. EverydayPhotographer

Looking to buy, sell or trade used gear? Check out our new partner MPB

I used this company earlier this year, and was very satisfied with the results. Price that you'll get for used equipment is less than the person to person market, you also get the peace of mind of not having to sift through the scammers to (hopefully) get to the real purchaser. At the same time...
  16. EverydayPhotographer

Patent: Optical formulas for a trio of wide f/1.8 prime lenses for the RF-S mount

f/2.8 was the fastest that the EF-S mount got. But Canon did release the 22mm f/2.0 and 32mm f/1.4 in the EF-M lineup.
  17. EverydayPhotographer

Patent: Optical formulas for a trio of wide f/1.8 prime lenses for the RF-S mount

Interestingly, looking at the tech specs for the R10, they refer to the lens mount as the RF lens mount, and then under "compatible lenses" refer to the "Canon RF-S/RF lens group"
  18. EverydayPhotographer

Maybe it's because Canon in their own material refers to it as the "RF-S Mount?" (See link: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf-s18-150mm-f3-5-6-3-is-stm?color=Black&type=New) They do also specifically mention that it fits on full frame cameras in crop mode. "This lens was designed with...
  19. EverydayPhotographer

The next full-frame RF mount camera will be a replacement for the Canon EOS R

Has anyone else besides me noticed that all of the higher end Canon bodies are odd numbers, ie EOS 1, 1D, R1, R3, R5, 5D, etc., while all of the lower end and consumer-aimed bodies have even numbers? 6D, R6, R10, etc.? It seems that only the M series has deviated from that pattern in recent memory.
  20. EverydayPhotographer

The next full-frame RF mount camera will be a replacement for the Canon EOS R

I did the opposite, and underestimated the price on the R. I looked up the intro price - $2,200usd - which is a couple hundred dollars higher than I recall it being. I think the price point dropped pretty quickly after introduction, but I am not sure. Either way, the price gap between it and the...