Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

As someone about to upgrade from Rp to R6 within the next 6-8 weeks… I have no idea what to do
Remember, of course, that the worst vice is advice. That being said, I am not far behind you. I have an RP and love it, but I know it’s time for an upgrade. And there are some small things that make me not want to spend $2,500+ on the R6. If they hold, the specs on this Mark II version will eliminate most all of the excuses I have remaining. My timetable is a little more open-ended though: I was thinking within the next year or so. And I haven’t even set the financial goals and started saving the money up yet. So I have time to wait. “Soon” could easily prove to be six months or more though. Only you can decide if the difference in photos you’ll take in that time frame will make it worth the wait.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
They aren't going to use the R3's sensor, this is Canon we're talking about lol.

This appears to be a modest revision, I do like 24mp as there are times I need to crop a vertical image from a horizontal one.

I hope we get some usability improvements:
- remove the 30 minute recording limit
- separate photo and video modes entirely so you can keep different settings for each and switch between them faster
- get the rear dial from the R7 but keep the top thumb dial so you have 3 dials plus a d-pad which you can use for extra custom buttons
- some people swear by a top LCD, I don't need it but would be nice to have

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Oh didn't know!
But still, the specs are the same besides the megapixels. Well, we shall wait and see what comes next.
I have an R, and I want to buy a new camera mostly for video(I'll do photography as well), and R6 is a very good choice. No 4k 120 but I can live with that. But I might wait for the final specs of this new R6. I'll make a choice after Christmas
Based on the R7 AF improvements from the R3, you will probably see improved AF features in the R6II.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
They aren't going to use the R3's sensor, this is Canon we're talking about lol.

This appears to be a modest revision, I do like 24mp as there are times I need to crop a vertical image from a horizontal one.

I hope we get some usability improvements:
- remove the 30 minute recording limit
- separate photo and video modes entirely so you can keep different settings for each and switch between them faster
- get the rear dial from the R7 but keep the top thumb dial so you have 3 dials plus a d-pad which you can use for extra custom buttons
- some people swear by a top LCD, I don't need it but would be nice to have

Why wouldn't they use the R3's sensor? They used the 1DX mk III's sensor in the R6.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
They are probably not selling many R 3’s and have a lot of sensors left over and want to move them
This is hardly worth a reply. But, R3 is out of stock at most major U. S. Retailers, so they aren’t having any problem selling them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Releasing a R6 mk ii doesn't necessarily mean that Canon wants R6 users to upgrade. It just means they're upping their options available to new customers, current DSLR shooters who are about to switch to DSLM and most of all to have a more competitive offer compared to the competition. And therefore, a Mkii makes sense even if there are only small changes.

- stacked BSI 24mp sensor
- slightly better ergonomics (that new R7 dial comes to mind)
- maybe better EVF resolution
- no record time limitation

All great updates which make the camera more competitive but certainly not enough to justify most R6 users to upgrade. R6 users might upgrade to R6 mk iii in some years...
Yes, this is something people forget (despite repeated reminders from people like Neuro over the years) - a mark II is likely not aimed at mark I owners. It rarely makes much sense to upgrade within a line every generation.

As an R6 user I wouldn't be tempted to upgrade to this, nor would I expect to (and I'm glad, a substantially better one might annoy me given I only got it a few months ago).

Fwiw with regard to the earlier discussion about top LCDs, I thought I'd miss it but I don't at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don’t really understand the logic in using a 24 mp sensor in this camera. It seems to me that 30 mp is now the standard for midrange cameras. They had a 30 mp sensor in the 5DIV in 2016. Come on Canon.
The logic would be internal - if it's the R3 sensor, there's no extra development cost. Just like them using the 1DxIII sensor in the R6. I don't think their perspective is the same as a consumer's.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
I would love to see the stacked bsi sensor in R6 at $2500 but it just doesnt seem feasible, especially if one looks at the Fuji X2HS at $2500, and that is a cropped stacked sensor to boot. Full frame is 2.3x the size of Fuji's apsc sensor, and to date only 5 cameras have full frame stacked sensors, A1, R3, A9, A9 II, Z9, all top of line cameras with prices above $4k at launch.

Maybe with advancements in manufacturing and economies of scale Canon could get it crammed into a $3500 camera, but then that would be R5 territory.

Upvote 0
Maybe we'll see unlimited video record time and some type of internal cooling hardware update for both R6 and R5. That would be a good explanation for a mkii coming out now. While that's not something I particularly care about, I can see that improving the competitive position of these cameras. 24mp would also align with other brands' offerings. I hope this means I can pick up a mk i for $2k soon.
unlimited record time and internal cooling was "fixed" for the R5 with the R5c's release. I can't see a R5ii having unlimited record time to compete with the R5c.

Upvote 0
No reason why Canon can't leave the R6 for sale in parallel with the R6ii with a couple hundred dollar premium for the better sensor. Sony has been applying that marketing range for a while now.

I believe that an updated Digic X is needed to increase battery life and decrease heat generation. Canon is losing greatly in the spec sheet wars on that front.

I don't use my R5 top screen. Didn't with my 5Div either. No idea why!

For all the rubbishing of the RP, it is still good value for money at the cheap end of the full frame range. An update would be appreciated though. Can't see it getting the R/5Div's sensor though so it will need to be a new one. Remove the EVF and undercut the market further :)

Upvote 0
This is hardly worth a reply. But, R3 is out of stock at most major U. S. Retailers, so they aren’t having any problem selling them.
Pretty sure I’m on to something. Just because you can’t find it doesn’t mean there is demand.
Distributors know their markets and I bet if you talked to some sellers they would say there is not much demand.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Pretty sure I’m on to something. Just because you can’t find it doesn’t mean there is demand.
Distributors know their markets and I bet if you talked to some sellers they would say there is not much demand.
Pretty sure you are wrong

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Pretty sure I’m on to something.
Your argument is that Canon made such a vast excess of sensors for a $6000 camera aimed at the top of the market that they have enough of them sitting around —just the fabricated silicon, not assembled into R3 bodies— to support the production of a $2500 camera aimed at the middle-low end of the enthusiast market that will most likely sell more units in a year than the R3 will sell in its life cycle.

Are you onto something? Or just on something? :oops:

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
Color me skeptical about this camera having the same sensor as an R3. If Canon does end up doing this then I'll be pretty disgruntled if we don't see more features applied to the R3 that help it stand out beyond just the superior ergonomics. A full-frame stacked sensor at this price point sounds way too good to be true. Then again, so did the R5's spec sheet before it became a reality.

I'm in the process of selling my R6 because of how much I hated using it with an R3 or an R5. The design of the camera's top dials and having no ability to save custom settings for video limit the camera a lot when you try to do more than one thing with it. If they come out with a second generation they BETTER not try take any input from the horrible R7 layout. Just give us an R3/R5 top plate and call it a day.
I have played the R7 at Canon showroom, I really don’t understand why the heck they move the sub-dial to the upper of the camera, just like the multi function bar of R

Upvote 0
If this rumor is true (CR 3 is basically a fact) it is fantastic news! I've been saying for weeks in R8 rumor section that a really good R8 (R successor) is only possible with a R6 mk ii so it doesn't cut into each other sales. So, if the R6 mk ii we can expect a great R8 camera for its value. Probably not the specs posted yesterday, but with IBIS, 30 mp, improved AF (over the R) and FPS. If both cameras are on the way, I´get one of them...

It really feels like Canon is reshuffling the line-up now. Make room for an R8 and than later have space for an R9 (RP successor).

Probably should sell my R while it is still worth the money...but I love it so much :)
How would a new camera that's gonna be in the $3000 range cut into the sales of the R6, which by that time next year will probably be around $2200 or less?
It would rather cut into the sales releasing two new cameras because there wouldn't be much room to put this new R6 Mark II.
That's why I think that this R6 Mark II and the R8 is the same camera and probably these specs aren't 100% right.
When the original EOS R was rumored, there was also talk about a 28 MP sensor, before the R5 got out there were rumors about it having a 40 MP sensor.
Although CR3 rating, I would take these specs with a grain of salt. It might just be different prototypes.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
As someone about to upgrade from Rp to R6 within the next 6-8 weeks… I have no idea what to do
Honestly. Unless you desperately need the extra 4 megapixels or the bsi sensor for the fast readout speed then don't write the r6 off. I have no issues producing high quality 100x50 (cm) acrylic prints for sale with mine. I have done product photography with it and never had a complaint from a client. Yes. For really fast panning or sports the electronic shutter does do a lot of warping but I just switch to mechanical in this situations.

Upvote 0