Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

This is exactly where I'm at. Spec-wise the R6 would be great for me but I know I'm going to really miss that top LCD (Coming off a 5D MkIII). Clicked on this hoping it might be making it on, looks like we're going to be disappointed
I thought the same thing coming off 6 years with a canon 70D and then 90D both with top lcds that worked great.
That said i have had very few cases where i thought about it while shooting. Since the back display is always on i would be able to see my settings and exposure in most positions

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
As someone about to upgrade from Rp to R6 within the next 6-8 weeks… I have no idea what to do
Since this is a CR3 rumour, the announcement is likely 6-8 weeks away and the first pre-orders will ship months after that. Like others have said, if you want to use your new camera in 60-8 weeks, get the current R6. If you can wait 6-8 months, you might be able to get an R6II. But keep in mind that you'll have to pre-order quickly and be lucky enough to be in the first batch. On top of that, I expect the R6II to be a few hundred $/€ more than the current R6 pricing, which could be spent on spare batteries and larger/faster SD cards instead.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
This is exactly where I'm at. Spec-wise the R6 would be great for me but I know I'm going to really miss that top LCD (Coming off a 5D MkIII). Clicked on this hoping it might be making it on, looks like we're going to be disappointed
Coming from a 7D, I thought I'd use the top LCD on the R5 a lot. After 2 years, I mainly use it too see if it says 'FULL' when charging batteries, I use the EVF or back LCD to check settings. On the 7D I would look at the top LCD while changing settings before shooting, I don't do that on the R5. For pre-shooting prep I find the touchscreen much faster and easier to use.

When using the M6II I never think "I wish it had a top LCD", mostly because the charging LED doesn't go out like it does on the R5, but it turns green instead :)

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
I can certainly entertain the idea of a R6 mark II. Sounds like a very slight upgrade, I am wondering if this will fill in with better video performance. Sensor upgrade would likely be worth it for me, but, if the only realistic difference in video is lack of overheating, not sure the price is worth it. Though, if there was zero distortion (no rolling shutter) I might have to sell off my current R6 and switch. The current R6 has been great for images the last 2 years, I have found zero short falls for my work.
Personal wish is for them to release the follow up to the XC15, with ILC. That would be the dream camera at this point.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Its a personal thing for sure, but I don't miss it at all. The ability to see everything in the EVF or on the LCD, and the customization available of all the buttons really has made it obsolete. Now I go back to my 5D3 and get frustrated that its not as easy to change settings via the top LCD as it is via buttons and menus on the R6. I also love the ISO dial.
As someone about to upgrade from Rp to R6 within the next 6-8 weeks… I have no idea what to do
Buy used or refurbished. Use it for a year and see if the R6II is available by then or not. You could re-sell for a decent percentage of what you paid and put it towards the R62.

I'm kind of interested to see what that sensor works out to be, and what other features may pop up on it that aren't listed. Very happy with my R6, and version to version upgrades are not always worth it. I've usually skipped one in between upgrades. But that BSI sensor may do it. Thought I may wait and see what the R1 announcement has in store (which may portend some of what may trickle down to an R6III a few more years down the line), or see if an R5II surfaces as well.

Brian

Upvote 0
The 6D did not follow a 3 year cycle
Actually it's always been a 4 year cycle. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. 6D was released end of 2012, 6D2 came a little later, middle of 2017. Canon has never updated cameras after just 2 years.
The original EOS R came in 2018, so its theoretically about to get an update soon.
I don't think Canon would replace the R6 already, I think the specs here and the R8 from yesterday are the same camera: The R successor that will launch first or second quarter of 2023 (it's too late for christmas sales to launch it this year). But the name is probably not set in stone yet.

Upvote 0
If the R6 II will indeed use the sensor of the R3 (and the Digic X processor, which is given), I don‘t see a reason for the crop in 4K 60p. Even 4K 120p is possible, if not for artificial market segmentation.

If the R6 II will use a new non-stacked sensor I see no reason why there is an upgrade in the first place. 24 vs 20MP is almost irrelevant.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If the R6 II will indeed use the sensor of the R3 (and the Digic X processor, which is given), I don‘t see a reason for the crop in 4K 60p. Even 4K 120p is possible, if not for artificial market segmentation.

If the R6 II will use a new non-stacked sensor I see no reason why there is an upgrade in the first place. 24 vs 20MP is almost irrelevant.
The M50II showed that a new model doesn’t have to have better hardware to still sell well.
If Canon puts the R7/R3 firmware improvements in the current R6 body and calls it the R6II, it would sell well and be a nice improvement. Not enough for most people to trade in their R6, I think, but still…

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
If this does have the R3's 24 MP BSI sensor (which would only make sense), Canon is half way to making the R6 my absolute dream camera. To finish the job, boost the sensor readout speed and get rid of the mechanical shutter. I don't expect that to happen until the Mark IV or V though. In the meantime, I still feel like my R6 is brand new, and am thrilled with the performance. I'm not upgrading this time around due to still being in the honeymoon phase of my relationship with this camera. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If this does have the R3's 24 MP BSI sensor (which would only make sense), Canon is half way to making the R6 my absolute dream camera. To finish the job, boost the sensor readout speed and get rid of the mechanical shutter. I don't expect that to happen until the Mark IV or V though. In the meantime, I still feel like my R6 is brand new, and am thrilled with the performance. I'm not upgrading this time around due to still being in the honeymoon phase of my relationship with this camera. :)
Halfway is right; 2x24 Mpx = 48 Mpx.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I agree that these specs seem a bit underwhelming, at least from a stills perspective. I don't know video.

I've owned both the 1DXIII and the R3. In day-to-day use, I wouldn't say that there is a significant difference between the sensors. Certainly not enough to justify upgrading. I switched because I got tired of carrying around duplicate lenses for both mounts (I have an R5). If it had only been the sensor I wouldn't have switched.

This feels to me like a reshuffling of the lineup -- move the R6 up a notch to allow more space between it and the R replacement.

I certainly hope they hold off on an R5 replacement for another year or so, to allow time for some real improvements like quad-pixel or similar autofocus upgrades.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
The only thing I’m missing on the R6 is the top LCD.
Anything else – I don’t care
Same, it's a phenomenal stills body. One of the finest Canon has ever made. I never have thought once about it's megapickles count.

Video shortcomings, whatever..... I'm a photographer. It's the right tool for the job, for me.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Well, there's a lot to think about. But a few things to especially keep in mind are:

1) Release date - Perhaps Q2 of 2023?
2) Supply chain issues - You're probably going to wait 6 months after release for it to arrive.
3) Editing capability - It's gonna be awhile before all editing programs support the R6 Mark II properly. We know Adobe is quick about it, but many others are not. However, with the supply chain issues mentioned above, by the time you receive the camera, this point will likely be of minimal concern.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0