Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

Faster readout from the sensor is reason enough for me. Banding is killing me sometimes because majority of my work is with electronic shutter. LEDs, neons, cheap light, projectors ... sometimes I have to work with 1/50 and any movement means bad photos. Also in sports with very fast movement you coul see the deformation. Much, much better than the R, but ...
Same form factor - great, especially if it means that the extra expensive grip fits, same dual SD - great - I have the cards and never had a problem with their speed, liitle less noise and better definition in low light - great, 24mpix - just right - 20mpix is not unusable but it is a lillte low, 30mpix on R was overkill for me, better AF - always welcome, aldo the current one is great, 12/20 fps - plenty enough. As someone said - a dream camera for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
Maybe we'll see unlimited video record time and some type of internal cooling hardware update for both R6 and R5. That would be a good explanation for a mkii coming out now. While that's not something I particularly care about, I can see that improving the competitive position of these cameras. 24mp would also align with other brands' offerings. I hope this means I can pick up a mk i for $2k soon.

Upvote 0
This rumor still makes no sense to me. So... 2-3 years later they upgrade the sensor, and call it a Mark II. Why? Also, for those interested in getter the stacked R3 sensor, expect the price to jump by $500. Yeah, that makes it a $3,000 camera. That precedent is validated by a number of other cameras that have upgraded to stacked sensors. Not to mention, this would really take a bite out of R3 sales. IMO, the biggest reason to buy an R3 over the current R6 is the stacked sensor. Beside the sensor, performance wise, there isn't a lot in it, so spending an additionally $3,000 for the R3 would get extremely difficult. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy it if it were available but it makes no sense for Canon to do it (at least at this time).

Something really wrong with the CR3 rating on this one to me. If I were to guess, I think Canon is trying to weed out leaks in its system. Canon is very happy to leak stuff on their own when they are ready.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Even if it borrows R3's sensor it will be still difficult for someone to upgrade from R6. We are talking here for the same specs with better low light capabilities and better performance with stills when using electronic shutter. Canon needs to provide something more...! At least no overheating again in every mode and no timer also.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Color me skeptical about this camera having the same sensor as an R3. If Canon does end up doing this then I'll be pretty disgruntled if we don't see more features applied to the R3 that help it stand out beyond just the superior ergonomics. A full-frame stacked sensor at this price point sounds way too good to be true. Then again, so did the R5's spec sheet before it became a reality.

I'm in the process of selling my R6 because of how much I hated using it with an R3 or an R5. The design of the camera's top dials and having no ability to save custom settings for video limit the camera a lot when you try to do more than one thing with it. If they come out with a second generation they BETTER not try take any input from the horrible R7 layout. Just give us an R3/R5 top plate and call it a day.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Hmmm. I really really would prefer 28 or 30 mp for my landscapes. Right now it's kind of like the perfect resolution that doesn't sacrifice image quality for full frame. At least for Canon sensors. I have an M6 too but the extra pixels definitely does not result in extra resolution.

That said I smell a price hike of a couple of hundred bucks easy. This is canon by the way.

Upvote 0
This rumor still makes no sense to me. So... 2-3 years later they upgrade the sensor, and call it a Mark II. Why? Also, for those interested in getter the stacked R3 sensor, expect the price to jump by $500. Yeah, that makes it a $3,000 camera. That precedent is validated by a number of other cameras that have upgraded to stacked sensors. Not to mention, this would really take a bite out of R3 sales. IMO, the biggest reason to buy an R3 over the current R6 is the stacked sensor. Beside the sensor, performance wise, there isn't a lot in it, so spending an additionally $3,000 for the R3 would get extremely difficult. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy it if it were available but it makes no sense for Canon to do it (at least at this time).

Something really wrong with the CR3 rating on this one to me. If I were to guess, I think Canon is trying to weed out leaks in its system. Canon is very happy to leak stuff on their own when they are ready.
Well.. Canon upgraded... firmware on M50 and called it a Mark II..

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Look at the list price of the R6 and think that the Mk II will be at least half a year to a year at this price or even 15% more.
If it really has the R3 sensor, it might be worth waiting.
If you struggle with the higher price, go get R6 now.
From my experience (trying out in shop) the EVF, the AF and the sensor performance of the R6 is much better than your RP.
If you are willing to wait to buy best for higher price, just wait.
Maybe with more information, the price of the "old" R6 might drop...

It's not hard to beat the RP. The sensor is trash, canon cripple hammer at its finest. Its basically the same sensor style as in the 6d2.. aka . Hobbled to not compete with the next year upward.

I wish they would just use the bloody sensor from the 5d4. Do they feel like 30 megapixels is too close to the R5 45? sigh.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
They did, in the EOS R.

Yes. But in the R62 please. It's a tried and true sensor, and I would appreciate it. That said, the goal is more MP. If that sensor was in the R6 I would have bought one a long time ago. It was my only hang up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0