Search results

1. M

Canon EOS R5 Firmware v2.0.0 Released

Wow, I can't believe that folks are so upset over this. The R5II is coming, did you really expect Canon to add features to a capable camera which they will be discontinuing in favor of the new model?
  2. M

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

The Z8 offers a Bird AF case. Quite candidly, the R5 is still an excellent performer for this application and that has never been a concern of mine. Comparatively, before the most recent FW update, the Z8 and Z9 were not even in the same league of the R5 in terms of eye detect and AF for birds.
  3. M

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

As I predicted, Canon would likely offer a similar sensor with improved read out speed and a few other tweaks. The current R5 is an excellent birding/WL camera other than the challenges with the slight lag in the EVF as a result of it not being a stacked sensor. Although the R5 is relatively...
  4. M

Canon announces three large format LUCIA PRO II imagePROGRAF printers

Wow! Love my Pro 2000, which has been the best LFP I've ever owned. I can imagine that the '6 series will be even better.
  5. M

Canon takes 3 out of 5 spots in BCN’s top cameras of 2023

Super specialized market and it's difficult to generalize the information further. As others observed, the R5 gaining the greatest number of shots on Flickr apart from an iPhone speaks more to me.
  6. M

Canon Patent Application: Major Defocus improvements

Home run and I can’t wait to see it in action.
  7. M

Worst of Canon 2023: It’s Unanimous

It’s clear that you’ve never used one as weight is but one factor and usability and functionality are equally if not more important. The Sony is optically faster, well balanced, sharp wide open, and the internal zoom is pure with a half a twist as opposed to the Canon periscope which one has to...
  8. M

How about the best thing from Canon in 2023, which after a lot of consideration isn’t a lens, a body, or even a new release, rather it’s CPS. No manufacturers’ support is as great. Kudos Cannon!
  9. M

I would like to see it compared to the Nikon 180-600 as well though digital picture doesn’t tend to test them.
  10. M

Canon Patent Applications for High Dynamic Sensors

Fascinating research, though I suspect the applications are more for robotics than consumer use. Nonetheless, such innovations can have tremendous impact.
  11. M

Canon to speak at IEDM about new sensor development

Yes, the A9iii seems like a game changer and kudos to Sony. Hopefully, it will drive the market faster. There are several unknowns with the A9iii which may/may not sway some users. DR/SNR are unknown and it’s difficult to say how the buffer will play out in real life. Quite candidly, the...
  12. M

Canon to speak at IEDM about new sensor development

As = gold, Al = aluminum
  13. M

Canon RF 24-105 F2.8L IS USM Z Previews / Reviews

Very excited about this lens and I am curious to see how it controls distortion as well as assess actual sharpness.
  14. M

Opinion: The USB-C DSLR problem isn’t as bad as you think

There isn't anything inherently wrong with USB-C and the effort per se, it's just the issue associated with existing electronic items. Apply the rules moving forward on new products but don't penalize existing users and functional devices. Seatbelts or airbags were wonderful precedents, for...
  15. M

Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS coming on November 2, 2023

Unlikely that one could produce such a zoom at that price/range. Nikon’s 800 f/6.3 is a spectacular prime and runs $6k.
  16. M

Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS coming on November 2, 2023

At this price it will likely be STM and more like the f/11 lenses. Remember canon has the tremendous 100-500 f/5.6-7.1 L and likely wouldn’t want to undermine sales.
  17. M

Canon Patent Application: IBIS heat transfer improvements

It is fascinating that were approaching the point where miniaturization and performance are pushing the boundaries of thermodynamics and material properties.
  18. M

Opinion: Canon’s mounting woes

I’m still trying to understand where the big disappointment is here. Yes, there are a lot lenses I would like to see Canon release though 3rd party solutions are not my thing. Besides, if someone wants a Sigma or some other EF mount, they can use an adapter. I’ve been vocal in the past by my...
  19. M

Canon Patent Application: More Super Telephoto Zooms

Long overdue and let's hope we get to see some of these creative lenses in the next couple of years.
  20. M

Canon releases firmware v1.9.0 for the EOS R5

At one level, it is good to see that the R5 hasn’t been orphaned though those users looking for updated features need to realize that they will come not in a FW update but in the R5II.