Search results

1. P

Canon officially announces the RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM and RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM

Here in Canada the new 15-30 is almost 3x the price of the RF 14-35L so it will be interesting to see how much of a difference there is in terms of optical performance. A key characteristic for me will be at what focal length the maximum aperture begins to decrease.
  2. P

Patent: Eye-control focus in an EVF, this will appear in the Canon EOS R3

Hopefully it works better than it did on my old EOS3 which was a very capable camera but the eye control focus on it never really worked that well for me and I ended up trading it in for a 30D. Ironically I found the eye control focus was more realiable on my Elan 7E probably because there were...
  3. P

Venus Optics announces the Laowa RF 33mm f/0.95 (but it’s APS-C)

Yes, I love how useful it is at achieving critical focus. As times I feel as though I'm using a loupe adjusting the focus on the ground glass of a view camera.
  4. P

Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

Here is a Canon Japan video with some imagery of the new lenses and through the lens shots from the macro lens including a demo of the spherical aberration adjustment and its effect on bokeh. There is also a bit more information about the R3 but unfortunately it's all in Japanese so perhaps...
  5. P

Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

If the SA is to control spherical aberration it might work similar to the defocus control on Nikon's old 105/2 and 135/2 DC lenses. I believe the idea was to shift the DOF in front of and behind the subject, the effect was subtle.
  6. P

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM officially discontinued

I've been using the 40/2.8 STM on my RP and it makes for a wonderfully light and farily compact combo. A series of compact RF primes would be a welcome addition to create a highly portable kit.
  7. P

Patent: Canon RF mount Big White Lenses

The layout of the lens elements is similar to the design of the current 400/2.8L IS III so the RF version should be very similar in weight.
  8. P

There will be an EOS M/EF-M announcement this year [CR1]

The EOS-M line may be coming to an end but it occupies a special place in my heart simply by virtue of its compactness and competency. Feature wise and performance wise my M6 does just enough that I have no qualms about bringing my M6 with me to most places. Results wise I still prefer the...
  9. P

Stock Notice: Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM at the Canon USA Store

From an operational and functional point of view the big difference other than the collapsed size differential is the lack of a tripod collar which can be handy for rotating the camera into portrait mode with ease whilst on a tripod. Then there is the issue of weight distribution and whether...
  10. P

Further talk about the fate of the EOS M system

There is a real and distinct size advantage to the M series. At a minimum any R APS-C body must have a complement of pancake lenses to provide a similar level of portability. There is a quality gap with the resolution of the new 32mb sensor and the vast majority of existing EF-M lenses which is...
  11. P

A Canon RF 100mm f/2L IS USM Macro gets a mention [CR1]

I would definitely like to see that. Although the mirrorless bodies have shrunk relative to the full featured DSLRs, the larger diameter of the RF mount has increased the girth of the lenses which while beneficial for the high spec lenses has sort of upset the balance of things somewhat...
  12. P

Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM in the pipeline [CR1]

Definitely a sentiment I agree with. As someone who uses my M6 a lot as my everyday out and about camera the R system lenses certainly poses some challenges. Weight is obviously a consideration but there's also the issue of their dimensions, especially their diameters. It makes it challenging...
  13. P

Five new EF-M lenses for the EOS M lineup coming? [CR1]

Yes, zooms are definitely very convenient. Although I don't mind so much with my M6 because of the weight savings. I love using my 100/2 on my M6 as well, big enough to hold on to comfortably and not overly massive relative to the M6. I can definitely see the appeal of your 135/2L on the M6...
  14. P

Are you happy with your Sigma lenses, I was thinking of getting one or both.
  15. P

The M6 never received any love either, not a single firmware update. But maybe the camera was perfect. Hmmmm.
  16. P

Is a Canon RF 14-28mm f/2L USM on the way? [CR1]

I love taking photographs and I have owned and used multiple camera systems (still do) so there is a certain neutrality that I have about camera equipment. If I take a photo I like I don't care what brand of camera I used to take it. I own camera equipment to take photos. BUT and this is a big...
  17. P

Is a Canon RF 14-28mm f/2L USM on the way? [CR1]

We can justify our purchases by telling our spouses that we'll be more buff and more attractive. Camera equipment with benefits!
  18. P

A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

Given the 20mp pixel count to accommodate IBIS, using the existing RP 26.2mp sensor would make a lot of sense from an economy of scale point of view.
  19. P

A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

Yeah I'd be happy with that, excellent base DR and high ISO performance. Something that I would be more than happy to travel with.
  20. P

The EOS M lineup will be addressed later in 2020 [CR1]

Apparently the M series is selling quite well in Asia, enough to maintain its economic viability. The smaller form factor is obviously a huge part of the appeal as it is for me. I have already switched over from my EF bodies over to RF and I don’t mind a 2 mount system especially given the size...