There will be an EOS M/EF-M announcement this year [CR1]

Sep 20, 2020
True. But Just becuase they sell a boat load of them doesn't make them profitable ether. Looking at the patent listed they could be trying to take M a little more upscale in order to be able to fatten the margins.
M cameras are small and cheap.
A new direction leads me to believe one of those two things is changing and price makes the most sense.

Upvote 0
M6 mk II with IBIS and I would be a happy camper!
If Canon introduces 1 or more RF APS Cameras surely the market and sales will decide which way EOS-M is heading. If sales fall quickly and Canon not making viable sales of the M mount cameras then they will be forced in position to stop making any more EOS M cameras and lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If Canon introduces 1 or more RF APS Cameras surely the market and sales will decide which way EOS-M is heading. If sales fall quickly and Canon not making viable sales of the M mount cameras then they will be forced in position to stop making any more EOS M cameras and lenses.
New cameras generally outsell old ones.
Besides that, I am not so sure how much they could learn from one camera anyway.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
And people act like every single photographer wants to attach a 500mm lens to the front of a camera and there's no reason to use one otherwise. I for one do NOT want that. I wish I had a tiny 300mm on my M6 but I really really don't want a big camera. 99% of the photos I'll ever take in my life is within reach of a 150mm lens. An R6 with an APS-C sensor makes zero sense to me.
Because the mount does not attract CR's core audience does not mean it isn't profitable. ;)

Because the mount does not attract CR's core audience does not mean it isn't profitable. ;)

THIS. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Wait and wait and wait-some-more for Canon to make an announcement about EOS-M? Gosh, that's a novel concept.

I waited from 2012 to 2019 for Canon to make some serious lenses for M besides the 22 and 11-22. Tried some other M lenses but IMHO they were not up to par. Had M5 and M6 bodies and liked them very much. I reluctantly went to another system in 2019 when it became clear that Canon was never going to take M seriously as a system. The terrific 32 came along, and I had one, but it was too little too late for me.

I used some EF lenses on the adapter, but that is a kludge that completely undermined the major selling point of having a small, compact APS-C system. Still watching Canon APS-C but very little chance at this point of coming back. No updated M5. High prices. Never any decent package lenses, only the 15-45. Personally not interested in the Sigmas.

If they go to the RF mount, will Canon keep the APS-C kit small, especially with some decent small APS-C lenses? Until recently most RF lenses have been large, expensive, and heavy, even for full frame. Canon, together with Nikon and Panasonic and Sony, want us to switch to full frame. Which I did in 2019. (Not to Canon, but that's off topic.)

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
As some CR member pointed out, in an earlier post awhile back that sounded the death knoll for the M Line, I, also would not ditch my M50. With its demise, I'd just look for one of the pre-owned, bargain priced M line bodies that would ultimately hit the market, so I would have a bargain priced back up for my light gear travel and hiking days. To those that plan on getting rid of their M line eqpt. at bargain basement prices, please post on CR, so we can scoop up some deals. We thank you in advance and it won't even bother us if you no longer like the M line for your needs. In my case, if it wasn't for the M line, I would no longer carry a camera with me when hiking, relegating me to using my cell phone, often inadequate for anything but email pics. I damaged or destroyed enough DSLR's while performing trail maintenance on the BMT. Those big bodies are just too unwieldy, including the R6 and even the RP., all of which are very difficult, even impossible to reasonably protect those heavy bodies while doing trail work. I wouldn't want anyone to think the M50 is a perfect camera. However, it's been perfect for me for what I need it to do, which is showcasing my fellow BMTA members maintenance efforts to keep the trail safe for hikers.

This is such a good post.

I can sort of say the same thing about family outings, trips and vacations.

Any of the Ms (even the OG)...when paired with the 11-22 or 22...in my hands (or either of my daughters' hands) has generated literally thousands of images better than 98% of the travelers I see at the same locations.

Why? Because when I'm out with my family, the primary goal is NOT to take pictures and short videos. The primary goal is to enjoy whatever we're aiming to experience...in real time.

The M format has been perfect for our family, in that its size-and-weight-and-volume...enables family fun without domination by camera gear.

Now...for hand-held wildlife images, the M ergonomics don't work well with large whites--so its back to (in my case)...the 5D Mk III (until I purchase an R5 and an adapter).

It just makes no sense for Canon to eliminate the M and its smaller sensor.

None.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
This is such a good post.

I can sort of say the same thing about family outings, trips and vacations.

Any of the Ms (even the OG)...when paired with the 11-22 or 22...in my hands (or either of my daughters' hands) has generated literally thousands of images better than 98% of the travelers I see at the same locations.

Why? Because when I'm out with my family, the primary goal is NOT to take pictures and short videos. The primary goal is to enjoy whatever we're aiming to experience...in real time.

The M format has been perfect for our family, in that its size-and-weight-and-volume...enables family fun without domination by camera gear.

Now...for hand-held wildlife images, the M ergonomics don't work well with large whites--so its back to (in my case)...the 5D Mk III (until I purchase an R5 and an adapter).

It just makes no sense for Canon to eliminate the M and its smaller sensor.

None.

I agree with most of what you’ve said, but I’d encourage you to take a quick look at the last 5 years of Canon’s financial statements to see how things were going with them while you, myself, and so many other people were buying into, enjoying, and getting great results with the M system.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I agree with most of what you’ve said, but I’d encourage you to take a quick look at the last 5 years of Canon’s financial statements to see how things were going with them while you, myself, and so many other people were buying into, enjoying, and getting great results with the M system.

...not sure I understand. I'm invested in all of what Canon has sold...for decades. And I will invest in R soon...whether or not M exists.

If it does not exist, I go elsewhere for compact gear.

Enlighten me: what, specifically, is in financial reports about EF-M (no snark Intended)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I dont understand that. The EOS RP is one of the smallest and lightest fullframe cameras right now, isnt it? What benefits would you see in switching?
Also, smaller lenses are starting to come, the RF 35 is very handy and a nice focal length for travel. And the RF 50mm Pancake on any R camera is certainly a super duper tiny and light package?

I don't need full frame for a travel camera. What I need is a lightweight combination of ultrawide, standard, and zoom with a prime or two thrown in.

Now, I have the EF-M 11-22, the EF-M 18-55, the EF-M 55-200 - and these lenses can fit comfortably into pockets in my coat and, most importantly, don't cost much. Add in the 22mm and the 28mm macro and I'm good for almost anything I need. Occasionally for fun I'll throw my EF 50mm f/1.2L on an adaptor to use with the M5, and that's a really fun combination (but yes, that's not cheap - but it's a lens I already own)

What would I have to get with the EOS R? The 24-105 f/4-7.1 would be the obvious starting point, but then I'd need a 70-200 f/4 (or ideally a 70-300 to try to match the reach of the 55-200 on APS-C - and that doesn't exist yet). And I'd need an ultrawide lens, and there's no affordable option there yet. But those lenses will be bulky. You can't change the laws of physics. Full frame lenses will never be as compact as the APS-C equivalents. And probably never as cheap.

The reality is that I probably wouldn't switch to RF mount if my EF-M mount cameras died - I'd probably buy used replacement cameras to keep shooting with the lenses I already own.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Strange statement because if you look back through Canon's financials they have called the M50 one of their strongest selling cameras in many quarters since its release.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The EOS-M line may be coming to an end but it occupies a special place in my heart simply by virtue of its compactness and competency. Feature wise and performance wise my M6 does just enough that I have no qualms about bringing my M6 with me to most places. Results wise I still prefer the images from my full frame kit but I’ve never felt so liberated from the burden of carrying my gear. And my M6 has taken a fair proportion of my favourite images over the past 3 years simply because I have it with me as an everyday walk about camera. The relative low cost of the lenses is also favorable as it has enabled building a system with a fairly low expenditure.

Upvote 0