Canon EOS R100 specifications, which is possibly Canon’s next camera to be announced [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have reported in the past that Canon would announced one more RF mount camera in 2022 after the release of both the Canon EOS R10 and Canon EOS R7.
The Canon EOS R100 will reportedly take on the form factor of past EOS M cameras such as the Canon EOS M6 Mark II, which has been long discontinued.
This information comes from an unknown source, so please treat it accordingly.
Canon EOS R100 Specifications (Rumored)

24.2mp APS-C Sensor
DIGIC X
12fps (Mechanical)
4K30p
Dual Pixel AF II
1.04 4million dot  Vari-Angle Touchscreen
No EVF
New accessories will launch with the camera, what they are is unknown at this time

As you can see from the rumored specifications, the...

Continue reading...

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
You lost me at "long discontinued". M6 Mark ii is a current camera available at most camera stores and in stock. I don't disagree that it's being replaced, but this is such a simple detail to get wrong it undermines the whole post.
Discontinued by Canon, of course, meaning they are not manufactured anymore. It doesn't mean that existing stock isn't being sold.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
Discontinued by Canon, of course, meaning they are not manufactured anymore. It doesn't mean that existing stock isn't being sold.
I mean, Canon still market and stock it themselves and replenished that stock very recently. That doesn't scream "long discontinued" to me.

Even if this spec is true, it doesn't address the M6ii market. The vari-angle screen would get slammed in reviews for video use

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You lost me at "long discontinued". M6 Mark ii is a current camera available at most camera stores and in stock. I don't disagree that it's being replaced, but this is such a simple detail to get wrong it undermines the whole post.
With front page posts Craig tends to slip in "EOS M is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED" remarks whenever he can. You'll get used to it :)

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Im normally a Canon fanboy but unless this camera can at least match the Sony FX 30 and come with a wide angle power zoom like Sony have anyone below 30 will opt for the Sony.
Canon are really dragging their feet and letting the side down in a number of areas which is really a big surprise. Ive bough Canon for six decades and they were true innovators but they seem to be late followers to the party these days.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My guess is that the 3 digit name will indicate a budget APS-C model aimed squarely at vloggers and selfie takers. It would be nice to be proven wrong, but I don't expect anything innovative or remotely exciting, just a half-hearted gap-filler in the RF range. It might have a top-hinged tilting screen, but I think a swing-out reversible flippy screen is more likely, and it sure as hell won't have an EVF or even an option to add a shoe-mounted accessory EVF. It's unlikely to have IBIS as it will be primarily a vlogger device. It's almost guaranteed to come with a retractable zoom with a built-in shutter-style lens cap. It will sell in droves to people impressed by styling and the Canon name.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Im normally a Canon fanboy but unless this camera can at least match the Sony FX 30 and come with a wide angle power zoom like Sony have anyone below 30 will opt for the Sony.
Canon are really dragging their feet and letting the side down in a number of areas which is really a big surprise. Ive bough Canon for six decades and they were true innovators but they seem to be late followers to the party these days.
This seems to be the R version of an EOS M200, you might not even get 'M' in movie mode, only 'A'! So this is not targeted at the Sigma FP/Sony FX30 crowd, but at the dual-lens-EOS-M-kit buyers.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
My guess is that the 3 digit name will indicate a budget APS-C model aimed squarely at vloggers and selfie takers.[..] it sure as hell won't have an EVF or even an option to add a shoe-mounted accessory EVF. [..]
A hot-shoe mountable screen would be a nice accessory. Not only for vloggers, but also for low to the ground, natural light macro :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How can a 599$-699$ camera match a 1800$ one?

I mean the whole Canon can't compete it's fun but at least choose the right price bracket

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
A hot-shoe mountable screen would be a nice accessory. Not only for vloggers, but also for low to the ground, natural light macro :)
There are plenty of external monitors from Atomos, Blackmagic etc, but they cost almost as much as the likely selling price for this camera. More affordable ones are available from Lilliput, SmallHD, Desview etc. Also plenty of cheap adaptors to allow a hotshoe to accept devices with a tripod screw thread. Unfortunately I don't think Canon are remotely likely to offer a hotshoe mounted monitor. They seem to be increasingly headed in the direction of selling either mass-market affordable products, or high-profit exotica.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There are plenty of external monitors from Atomos, Blackmagic etc, but they cost almost as much as the likely selling price for this camera. More affordable ones are available from Lilliput, SmallHD, Desview etc. Also plenty of cheap adaptors to allow a hotshoe to accept devices with a tripod screw thread. Unfortunately I don't think Canon are remotely likely to offer a hotshoe mounted monitor. They seem to be increasingly headed in the direction of selling either mass-market affordable products, or high-profit exotica.
I meant 'hot shoe mountable' in the sense of the EVF-DC2 and the new R3/R7 'smart shoe': You only need to put the monitor in the hot shoe, no extra cabling or batteries needed. Sell that for $200-$300. Bonus points for extra audio sockets in the side.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Among other things, Canon have recently given us:

8K on R5
eye-controlled AF selection on R3
dual fish-eye lens
autofocusing tilt-shift lens
massively improved AF controller on 1dxiii
innovative combined thumbwheel and AF joystick on R7
class leading ergonomics
very fast roll out of RF lenses

They don't lead in every area (e.g. sensors or battery performance) but to say that they are "dragging their feet" or no longer being "true innovators" is completely untrue.

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0