Canon’s next RF mount camera is in the field

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon’s next APS-C camera will be a small form factor “vlogger”, which we’re told will be close to the Canon EOS M6 Mark II in design.
Confirmed specifications are still relatively unreliable, but you can be sure that it will shoot 4K at 60fps and that there will likely be a 120fps mode.
We have also been told that the camera will use a different kind of vari-angle LCD screen. We cannot confirm this as we haven’t seen the camera yet. Canon’s current design is loved by a lot of people, but not everyone. The number one complaint we hear is that the screen flips to the side, and a lot of people would like it to flip over the camera.
We hope to confirm more information about this camera soon. It is expected to be announced before November 2022.
More to come…

Continue reading...

It really does seem like canon is transitioning the M line to RF Mount.

A vlogger style camera makes a lot sense considering Sony and Nikon are selling quite a few.

I am really interested in how the new flip screen will work. Flipping it out to the side is kind of nice, but for me (just for me) I’d wish they’d release a camera where the screen just flips out underneath. That way the screen and lens would in one straight line. It would especially be helpful for wildlife (flying birds or such) when using live view etc or when the camera is pointing towards the sky.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
This is all good and dandy, but it's a fact that an aps-c rf mount camera will never be as compact as an m mount camera for discreet street shooting and portability. An m200 with 22mm f2 kit is great for that scenario. With a screen that tilts all the way up. What's that new screen mechanism? One that tilts all the way up as well as to the side?

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
This is all good and dandy, but it's a fact that an aps-c rf mount camera will never be as compact as an m mount camera for discreet street shooting and portability. An m200 with 22mm f2 kit is great for that scenario. With a screen that tilts all the way up. What's that new screen mechanism? One that tilts all the way up as well as to the side?
Then use your current M until it someday explode. You are not forced to update the camera, if it not fits your personal use case.
But maybe its for others well enough.

Edit: And I think (and already said this in previous articles) this will be a R100 or maybe even smaller a R1000.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Then use your current M until it someday explode. You are not forced to update the camera, if it not fits your personal use case.

Edit: And I think (and already said this in previous articles) this will be a R100 or maybe even smaller a R1000.
What I'm saying is that eos m won't be easily replaced by crop sensor eos r because of what I previously said. Not a personal matter. I don't own an eos m but I am looking for a small kit for street shooting, and the mentioned m200 with 22mm lens could well be it. Certainly won't be waiting for small eos r cameras.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018

One of the reasons I (and others) bought the M6 was that it could be used as an emergency back-up body for an EF-mount camera when travelling. Even with the EF adapter it's light and small and as such not an issue when luggage space and weight have to be minimized. That is no longer possible if the main camera uses the RF mount.
Of course this is a niche use-case.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
One of the reasons I (and others) bought the M6 was that it could be used as an emergency back-up body for an EF-mount camera when travelling. Even with the EF adapter it's light and small and as such not an issue when luggage space and weight have to be minimized. That is no longer possible if the main camera uses the RF mount.
Of course this is a niche use-case.
I think the m50 could use a mark III upgrade
The Powershot division is still around and this is not sounding like a Powershot camera

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why not?
Just look at Sigma FP, smaller than M6 mark II but with bigger mount.

Probally any eos m fits an RF mount throat.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
there is nothing wrong with the current flip screen for general purpose uses, but for some specific cases a diferente flip system could work better, for example, a upper flip screen can work better for vlogging.... IF and only IF they move the hot shoe to the side so the shotgun mic don't mess with the screen
s-l500.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0