A new rumor suggest that the Canon EOS R will be replaced by a Canon EOS R8 [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS R camera body has been discontinued for quite some time, and we have reported for a long time that it would not get a direct replacement, but that there would be a full-frame camera below the Canon EOS R6.
An unconfirmed rumor about such a replacement has appeared on Weibo.
Canon EOS R8 Specifications (Rumored)

30.3mp Full-Frame Sensor
DIGIC X
5-axis in-body stabilization
12fps Mechanical
4K 30p (No Crop)
4K 60p (Cropped)
CFexpress/SD dual card slot

We haven’t heard about such a camera or seen such a spec list, so please treat this information accordingly.
We believe that only one more camera is coming from Canon in 2022, and that will be an APS-C camera.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Features sound good for stills shooters. Lack of IBIS and double card slot were the major points of criticism.
I hope the mechanical quality won't suffer, if they position it in the low price range. Plastic frame instead of magnesium?
Never had one single issue (freezing etc...) with my R, not even under Welsh rain...
And yes, I'm using the touch-bar. (Doesn't mean I love it).
But it's only a CR 1...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I mean one or two new low end FF bodies are bound to happen, that's not news. Any of us could conjure up a spec list, but it will be interesting to see how they position it with regard to the R6; I'd imagine an entry level body would have fewer physical controls, more plastic and less metal in its construction, a single card slot. Beyond that, hard to say. IBIS isn't a given, but the big question is the sensor - a new one would be more expensive for them to produce, right? I don't see them reusing the R3's so soon, the R's is a bit old (though that's not an absolute bar); neither the R6 nor R5 sensors seem quite right either, to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
"30.3mp Full-Frame Sensor" is the only thing that would make it an EOS R replacement.

It does not really have very much else in common.

This "R8" would also completely outclass the R7.
It would also outclass the R6 in a lot of ways.

It pretty much looks like a Canon version of the Sony a7 IV.
That's right, the R6 would be in a strange position. Apart maybe from superior video features, or, if the R8's build quality is on R10 level.
So, it would boil down to more plastics and MP vs. less MP but much better video and build...
but let's keep in mind this is all about a non-confirmed rumor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
How is this below the R6?
Maybe in price, but IBIS, CFe and 30MP make me doubt that. This looks more like a cheaper-than-R5-more-expensive-than-R6 model than as a direct replacement for the R.

I'm not going to complain if it comes out with those features and with a price below the R6 :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Upvote 0
If these specs are true (drop the CF express...no way that's gonna happen) and I'll get this camera!!!!
I have been one of those, who believe in an R8 successor for the/ based on the R. Furthermore, I believe the R8 will have specs which will call for a R6 mkII in the near future. (e.g. 30mp/ Ibis/ 12fps mech, 20 e-shutter for R8)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0